Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Volo Cask Day 2006

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MattB

Post by MattB »

I spoke with Ralph when I picked up my tickets last week. The tasting glass will have two lines on it ... one for 5 oz., one for 10 oz. I like the idea ... there will definitely be some that I will want to drink more of, and others where a taste should suffice (I'm thinking about the lagers he had last year -- most were disappointing and didn't seem to lend themselves to cask conditioning). Ralph also mentioned that there would be some casks from Quebec.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I picked up a ticket to the afternoon session on Saturday. Can't wait!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Word has come from Ralph that less than 30 tickets remain. If you're planning to attend and don't have a ticket yet, you'd better grab one soon! Contact Ralph at 416 828-0887 to reserve.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Sold out, according to the website.

I'll be there for the afternoon (2nd) session. Look forward to seeing a bunch of you again!

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

I don't suppose anyone has an extra ticket for the evening (2nd) session? I'm one ticket short for a friend who's just returned to the country.

Cheers,
-Josh

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

I spoke with Ralph on Tuesday and he said he had a lot of people who have called to reserve tickets but haven't yet picked them up. He's giving them until next week or so and then will "release" the tickets again. I'd say give him a call next week sometime and he should have a better idea how many will be available again.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

jmcnally wrote:I spoke with Ralph on Tuesday and he said he had a lot of people who have called to reserve tickets but haven't yet picked them up. He's giving them until next week or so and then will "release" the tickets again.
I'm one of those people - but I'll be picking mine up tomorrow or Saturday, so don't be getting any funny ideas!

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Hi Everybody
I just sent Ralph an update of what we are planning to do for his cask situation, All the time we are cackling with maniacal laughter.
We're doing two casks:
H&H Overkill
Our cask Pale Ale with hops & Jalapeno's (pronounced halapenooooo!!)
Lots of hops and Burlington garden fresh jalapeno's. (I just hope that stuff won't eat through the steel of our cask)

Dirty Bomb
Our Nut Brown cask version, but with lots of hops

We haven't tried any of these yet so you will be the first along with us to see how it turned out.
I'm bringing a camera just to get some good face shots to save the reactions for posterity.

Just want to try a few things in a special situation. I look forward to your feedback and remember beer should be a fun beverage. Streching the boundaries gives us some very interesting memories. (Hopefully the taste buds will heal quickly!!!!)

I hope Ralph will let us brewery folk attend, sometimes us uber-beer-geeks aren't allowed to mingle with the rest of society.

Looking forward to seeing you there (even if from across the street)

Cheers
Ken

Stomp Brockmore

Post by Stomp Brockmore »

Damn. I should have bought a ticket for this. :(

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Asst. Grain Shoveller wrote:I hope Ralph will let us brewery folk attend, sometimes us uber-beer-geeks aren't allowed to mingle with the rest of society.
Haha! It wouldn't be the same, otherwise...

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Just noticed a link to this on the Volo site:

http://www.caskdays.com/

The site is incomplete, but the list of brewers is up. Looks like the cat's out of the bag regarding the contributors from Quebec... :wink:

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

GregClow wrote:Just noticed a link to this on the Volo site:

http://www.caskdays.com/

The site is incomplete, but the list of brewers is up. Looks like the cat's out of the bag regarding the contributors from Quebec... :wink:
i've been looking at the little "volo cask days" icon in the corner for the last week and wondering when it would do something...it doesn't work as a link in firefox. after your post i pulled it up in IE and sure enough, there's the link to the above site.

looks like a great lineup of brewers. should be a great day.

and who is this "biergotter" anyway? /me whistles innocently

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

grub wrote:i've been looking at the little "volo cask days" icon in the corner for the last week and wondering when it would do something...it doesn't work as a link in firefox. after your post i pulled it up in IE and sure enough, there's the link to the above site.
Works for me in Firefox (1.5.0.7).

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

GregClow wrote:Works for me in Firefox (1.5.0.7).
yeah, they've been working on both sites today. the link from barvolo.com now works in ff too, and the content of caskdays.com is also filling out.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Beau's Lug Tread Ale
Biergötter Hopocalypse
Biergötter Devastaion
Black Oak H&H Overkill
Black Oak Dirty Bomb
Church Key West Coast IPA
Cool Beer Millennium Buzz
Denison's Dunkel
Dieu du Ciel Péché Mortel
Dieu du Ciel Corne du Diable IPA
County Durham Dry-Hopped Pacific Northwest IPA
George Eagleson's Pear Ginger Oatmeal Stout
F&M Maclean's Dry-Hopped Pale Ale
Great Lakes 666 Devil's Pale Ale
Heritage Brewery Smokin' Maple Lager
Robert Hughey's Generously Hopped Bitter
King Brewery Dark Lager
Neustadt Big Dog Beaujolais Porter
Scotch Irish Admiral Perry Imperial IPA
Scotch Irish Tsarina Katarina Imperial Stout '06
Saint Andre Doug & Larry's Harvest Wet-Hopped Ale
Wellington Imperial Russian Stout
Trafalgar Strawberry Brown Ale
Granite Peculiar Aged in Bourbon Cask
Camerons Hopburn Ale
Mill Street TBA

Awesome! :D
Last edited by Wheatsheaf on Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.