Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Big Beer Scoop

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I was saving this for my planned seminar at the St. Lawrence beer show, but since that didn't happen (see other thread), here's some juicy beer news for everyone.

I have received from the LCBO the full listings of the next two beer releases, scheduled for September and November:

September:

Pinkus Muller Alt
Black Wych Stout
Badger Tanglefoot Ale
Daleside Old Leg Over
Castle Eden Special Ale
Smuttynose Old Brown Dog
Brakespear Ted and Ben's Organic Beer
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Strong Suffolk Ale
Aecht Schlenherla Rauchbier
Wells Bombardier Ale

November:

Weltenburger Kluster Asam-Bock
St. Peter's Winter Ale
Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome
Paulaner Salvator
Daleside Morocco Ale
Slavutich Christmas Beer
Mahr's Brau Wheat Bock
Duyck Jenlain Biere De Garde Ambree
XO Beer
Leffe Brune
Corsendonk Pater

There will also be a number of gift sets at Christmas, including Orval, Maredsous, La Trappe and Chimay.

Manul

Post by Manul »

Another promising fall for Toronto beer lovers. Personally I already miss the Aecht Schlenherla Rauchbier which was one of the highlights last fall. And Paulaner Salvator... that's not going to last on the shelves for too long. We have to give credit to some guys from LCBO for this one.

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

Absolutely right about the Paulaner Salvator. Now I can finish the rest of the six-pack I toted back from St Louis last year.

Looking forward to these releases.

But first, a couple of questions: why do we not get Octoberfest beers for Octoberfest?

Additionally, is the Strong Suffolk from Greene King, or is it someone else's?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I expect it is the one from Greene King, as we have seen another beer from them in Ontario before.

No idea about why no Oktoberfest beers. I don't recall seeing many released over the last number of years...I guess the LCBO doesn't consider it to be a style/theme worth releasing...

Publican

Post by Publican »

It's good to hear that the LCBO will be selling more Brakspear products.I thought that Bartoweler's would like to know a little
bit about Ted and Ben's Organic Beer.The following description is from the Good Bottled Beer Guide,published by CAMRA.

A.V.B 4.6%
Ingredients: Scarlet pale malt, crystal malt,
Hallertau and Goldings hops

Tasting Notes: A copper coloured ale with a spicy hop nose. Spicy floral hops continue in the taste(hints of cinnamon and ginger),which is clean and nicely bitter with a good malt balance. Bittersweet,hoppy finish.
This ale is bottle-conditioned