Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Molsons losing market share

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Hi all:

There was a report on the CBC this morning that Molsons is losing market share "not to the big breweries but to the smaller ones." I only half caught the report but two things were said by Molsons the frighten me: 1) they were concerned with the government assistance given to the micros, especially in Western Canada; and 2) they would have to figure out what they had to do to win.

Now, assuming that they won't brew quality beer, these statements seem to mean that they are going to lobby to make it more difficult for micros to recieve assistance, be it through tax laws or programs. And, they are going after the micro-market. Does this means Rickards will be excessively promoted? Will they buy the competition? It's scary what these corporations will do to hang on to that 4-5% of the market.

Cheers, Joe.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jcappadocia on 2002-06-20 09:36 ]</font>

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

But you missed the best part of that story...the quote from Daniel O'Neill, CEO of Molson in yesterday's press release..."The only firms really growing in market share are the microbreweries...they're an annoyance, like blackflies and mosquitos..."