Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Cellar Selections

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Biers4all

Post by Biers4all »

Hello all

It's time for some research. Stephen Beaumont and i have been chatting recently about putting together a cellar selection for the Bier Markt. These would be beers that we could lay down and keep on a separate list for serious beer enthusiasts. Let me hear your thoughts. All are welcome, as long as you don't mind that I use them if they are great.

cheers,

Michael

Manul

Post by Manul »

I can share my experience regarding aging beer by listing a few of them that I kept in my cellar (temperature between 13-16C):

Maudite - amazing results after at least one year of aging
La Fin du Monde - improved after 6 months didn't seem to develop after that
Aventinus - very good results after one year
McAuslan Vintage ale - no improvemet after 3 months, still waiting...
Rochefort10 - I couldn't taste much difference after 6 months but I'm not sure how long it's been on the shelf before I bought it
Chimay blue - I don't know how you can improve something perfect.
Seigneuriale - Good results after 6 months.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Hi Michael:

Great idea. Without a thought to feasiblility, I would suggest "vintage" beers:the two that pop to mind are Thomas Hardy's Ale and McAuslan's. Also, what about the seaonals like Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale?

Cheers, Joe.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I would suggest any of the special vintage ales made by Brakspear yearly. They are in stone bottles with ceramic stoppers and are likely to age well. What makes this even more interesting is the possibility that (God forbid) Brakspear might stop making beer this year. However my last enquiry with Peter at Esprit regarding Brakspear Vintage was not very successful. They are hard to obtain apparently.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

What about Niagara Falls Eisbock? Very complex after only a year.

Publican

Post by Publican »

I suggest Rochefort 8, Chimay Blue, and Westmalle tripel.