Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coors Sub Zero

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

StevenThrasher

Coors Sub Zero

Post by StevenThrasher »

OK so I remember making fun of this from the summer:

Coors hopes British take to frozen beer
BURTON-ON-TRENT, England, June 22 (UPI) --

British beer enthusiasts say the Americanization of their pubs has reached its logical conclusion -- beer topped by a layer of ice crystals.

Coors Sub Zero was launched Thursday. The lager beer is designed to be served at a temperature a few degrees below the freezing point, allowing a layer of slush to form below the foamy head.

The Campaign for Real Ale or Camra questions the need for such a drink.

"If you serve any yellow liquid at that temperature you could probably drink it," spokesman Iain Loe told The Telegraph. "Cynics would say that it was just a way of concealing the fact there's no taste there. And if there are any off flavors, you are not going to notice."

Traditionally, pubs have served beer at around 50 degrees Fahrenheit, although the temperature has been trending down.

Coors says that 100 pubs will be getting the Sub Zero system this year. The process is a complicated one, including several cooling stages and a small sonic pulse to get ice crystals forming.

I was in the Jack Astor's at 404 & 7 and noticed they had this technology. Both Sub Zero Coors Light and Sub Zero Molson Canadian. The taps had ice on them and were extremely cold to the touch. The engineer in me can appreciate the technology, but the beer nerd in me couldn't bring himself to order one.

Has anyone here tried it?

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

StevenThrasher wrote:
Coors hopes British take to frozen beer

Gack! :o

The Campaign for Real Ale or Camra questions the need for such a drink.

Anyone past the stage of shotgunning beer cans for a punk buzz would concur.

"Cynics would say that it was just a way of concealing the fact there's no taste there. And if there are any off flavors, you are not going to notice."

That's not cynical that's factual...even a great beer will become tasteless at near freezing temps.

Has anyone here tried it?

Well inadvertantly...My buddy left a six of Coors in the freezer too long for a quick chill and we got beer that oured with the top half in foamy ice. But I didn't taste any difference between Coors frozen or served warm....tastes the same...which is no taste at all. :)
Aventinus rules!

runes

Post by runes »

molson cold shots are the perfect shotgun beer. they have a 'lil target and everything!

i mean, uh.. im just sayin.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

StevenThrasher wrote:The engineer in me can appreciate the technology, but the beer nerd in me couldn't bring himself to order one.
I went out back and pissed in the snow - now that's engineering only a Coors drinker would appreciate. :P

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I've had the canadian and coors from these sub zero taps.

It's served just as you have described, and actually hurts my teeth to drink something like that. I had to wait to drink them.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I've had the canadian and coors from these sub zero taps.

It's served just as you have described, and actually hurts my teeth to drink something like that. I had to wait to drink them.
Why would you even try that?

=/

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

The LCBO I work at is right beside a Kelsey's, and often we go out for dinner. If someone else is buying, I'm not really one to look a gift horse in the mouth.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

SteelbackGuy wrote:If someone else is buying, I'm not really one to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Apt choice of words. Apparently you look the gift horse in the crotch because that's where this beer comes from. :lol:
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Jon Walker wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:If someone else is buying, I'm not really one to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Apt choice of words. Apparently you look the gift horse in the crotch because that's where this beer comes from. :lol:
:lol:

My girlfriend (much to my dismay) enjoys Kelsey's. Nothing like overpriced slop coupled with shit beer.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I never said I enjoyed it. It's just close to work, and like I said, if someone else is buying, I really don't care what I am drinking.

I've drank enough Steelback and Malt Liquor so that a few boring domestics won't really kill me.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

SteelbackGuy wrote: I've drank enough Steelback and Malt Liquor so that a few boring domestics won't really kill me.
Again, why??!??

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I've had all that kife.

I like to try every beer, no matter what. I've had to trade steelback so often that I have had so many 6 packs, I have had remainder to drink.

I really don't mind drinking it, as long as I am already sloshed.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

DragonOfBlood wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: I've drank enough Steelback and Malt Liquor so that a few boring domestics won't really kill me.
Again, why??!??
Because Phil Esposito is a draught beer drinker!

Mother G

Post by Mother G »

[quote="SteelbackGuy"]

"Again, why"??!??

Steelback Guy seems to want to enjoy company with friends or co-workers at a place where they would like to go. The selection of beer is pretty non-descript and uninspiring. The food is pretty pedestrian and unexciting.

Millions of people seem to enjoy that beer and that chain of restaurants for the simple reason that their taste expectations and imagination are pretty low and many know that. Heck, that may be a deciding factor why they go! Crazy as this may sound, many people see beer as just ... beer and food as just something to fill their appetite.

You undoubtedly have educated yourself on finer cuisine and enlightened your palate to more complex craft beers.

Although I do not frequent that style of restaurant or drink that style of beer too often I don't feel the need to question people on their rationale for making taste choices. I just accept that everyone has different tastes. Surely there are things in life that others could do the same to you?

Instead of pursuing someone with such zeal that could be perceived as a high hand why not just accept that tastes vary and that is the spice of life?

Any particular reason why you feel the need to pursue

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

On the one hand I agree with Mother G, there are plenty of scenarios that lead to people drinking beer that might not tantalize those of us on Bartowel.

That said, in those situations I am increasingly inclined to ask for a rum and coke, or a soft drink. Frankly I don't need the calories from what a friend refers to as "adult pop" if I am not going to at least enjoy it.