Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Schloss Eggenberg Samichlaus Bier

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BeerMonger

Schloss Eggenberg Samichlaus Bier

Post by BeerMonger »

I picked up one bottle of this at the SAQ outside the Notre Dame Basilica. The bottle labels were covered over by white labels front and back that were obviously deemed necessary by the Quebec provincial governing body (a la LCBO-extra strong bier, etc.) so I really didn't know what I had until I got home yesterday.

I tried it last night...minimal head...a true sipper...this had the sweet tartness of candycane...14% alc/vol, brewed in Austria. Label say it is the strongest beer in the world. I wish I had purchased more.

I check it on Ratebeer this morning to find out that this beer could be the rarest (or one of the rarest) to be found anywhere...brewed only on December 6th (mine was 2006). Now I REALLY wish I had purchased more. MY BAD.

To those of you travelling in Quebec soon, try to look this one up...and buy more than one... :cry:

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

We are happy to tell you that you can have access to Samichlaus in Ontario through placing a private order through Roland + Russell. For more information visit our website where you can also download pricing information. For all interested parties we will be placing an order for Samichlaus and other Eggenberg beers in the next month.

Best regards to all,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

BeerMonger wrote:Label say it is the strongest beer in the world.
Does the label still make that claim?

It was once correct, but it's since been beat by Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, a couple of Sam Adams beers, and perhaps one or two others.

I think it's still the strongest lager in the world, though. And perhaps the strongest beer brewed in Europe?

Stomp Brockmore

Post by Stomp Brockmore »

The label now proclaims it as the strongest lager in the world. At least on the bottle I had.

I never want to have one of those again.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

It certainly is a bock that can stand a lot of cellar conditioning...pretty sharp and boozey upon release...I have several put down for Xmas openings the dozen or so will last me the decade ;-)
Aventinus rules!

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

It would be a novelty type beer...it tasted okay to me but not something you are going to reach for often...i just wish i had bought (and cellared) some.

Stomp Brockmore

Post by Stomp Brockmore »

Yeah, I'd be interested to try one that had been seriously aged. The one I had, I got at the Rhino, and I found it pretty unenjoyable. Way too boozy. Not my speed.