Furstenberg Weizen Hefe Dunkel

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BeerMonger

Furstenberg Weizen Hefe Dunkel

Post by BeerMonger »

Nice amber colour with flowing head but tasted thin...I used to make homebrew better than this. Don't go out of your way...

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

The Furstenburg Pils was pretty non eventful...over filtered but still you could tell they decocted the mash.....it's a shame they filter so much.

I suspect the same production mindset prevails with the dunkel Weizen...did you get this in Quebec?
Aventinus rules!

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

Yes I did pick it up in Quebec (I should have said that, my apologies). Thankfully only the one bottle. It wasn't exceptionally bad...just exceptionally nondescript.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

HefeWeizen is just not a style that can be tolerated as a half-hearted effort.

Paulaner and Magnotta are not bad in bottles but all Newbies and lurkers on BT really need to get out and try Denison's Weisse on draught to know anything about this remarkable kind of beer.

Denisons is a Toronto-made rendition of this Bavarian wheat ale style ("Hefe" refers to the cloudy suspended yeast) and this version also happens to be highest-rated Weizen in the world on ratebeer.com. I just like it because it's good.

Bar Volo and BeerBistro are consistent supporters of Michael's beer, which (lucky for us) is a style best produced locally & drunk as fresh as possible on tap. Patio time, prost!
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:HefeWeizen is just not a style that can be tolerated as a half-hearted effort.
That was quite apparent to me during my Vancouver stay. Practically all the brewpubs had a hefe available ranging from terrible to weak to average. Bleah.
Bar Volo and BeerBistro are consistent supporters of Michael's beer, which (lucky for us) is a style best produced locally & drunk as fresh as possible on tap. Patio time, prost!
C'est What usually has it too.

If the Magnotta Wunderweisse is on tap, it's worthy of drinking too. Just avoid the bottle version which suffers greatly in that form, IMO.

Had my first hefe of the summer on Smokeless' patio on Wednesday. It was a Konig Ludwig since Denison's wasn't there but the Konig was up to the task, no complaints.
lister