Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New beer themed bar/pubs coming soon...

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Images

Post by Images »

Hmm, it looks like beer is becoming more popular.

As I passed the Days Inn on Carlton St (@ Maple Leaf Gardens), they've closed their bar for renovations and have a small sign saying the new place/lounge will be called "The Beer Celler".

Also, anyone hear anything about the Mill St brewpub place whether it's going to actually open?

Cheers folks..

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

On 2002-09-26 14:50, Images wrote:
Also, anyone hear anything about the Mill St brewpub place whether it's going to actually open?
As I mentioned in a recent post over in the Random Talk folder, while it is still supposed to be opening "soon", it's not there yet. I'll probably be down in the area for the art show on Saturday, so I'll see if there's anyone around to bug for more info.

Greg

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Any Bartoweller interested in investing in a pub (yeah, right) might be interested to know that beerbistro is looking for investors to buy $10,000 units in a location they'll be opening early in the New Year at Yonge & Eglinton in the former Sweetwater (and long ago Earl's) location on the North Side. Brian Morin, former chef at Esplanade, is heading up this group and Stephen Beaumont is involved as well. If you're interested, you can contact Brian at 416-605-7911 or bmorin@interlog.com

Lemmings

Post by Lemmings »

Re: Mill Street

I actually live right beside the location and am anxiously awaiting its opening. We received a neighourhood association flyer this week and it said that the owner had started brewing beer for the opening this month (Oct).

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

In regards to Images posting about the "Beer Celler", I hope they know more about beer than they do about spelling...last time I looked there was no word such as "Celler" in the English language.

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

Well, I'm proud to say that I am officially an investor in the upcoming new bar "beerbistro"!

I met with Brian Morin and he went over all the plans for this new venture and I'm convinced that this place will do well. I'll definitely shed several tears in my beer if it fails, however this is a risk I'm willing to take.

I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to divulge, but here are some previews of what's to come at this place:

- a new menu will be created daily by master chef himself, Brian Morin
- over 80% of the items on the menu will be made with beer; this includes the salads, appetizers, soups, main courses and desserts
- a suggested beer pairing will accompany each menu item
- 20 to 30 quality brews on tap
- tons of quality brews in bottles
- an exhaustive wine list
- an outdoor patio, casual dining area, fine dining area and separate party/conference room(s)
- knowledgeable staff, thanks to Stephen
- I could go on...

Damn, I look forward to this place opening!

Brian is still looking for investors in case some of you have been considering it. And, in case you are still undecided, consider this...

You invest $10,000 and get back $30,000+ after 8 to 10 years! Now, that's a sweet deal.

Thanks Peter for letting us know about this opportunity, even though you had little faith of any of us considering it seriously!
:wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DAN-D-MAN on 2002-10-24 17:50 ]</font>

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Congratulations Dan...I'm really pleased to hear that someone has taken up the challenge and will help what sounds like a great concept get off the ground. Needless to say, with bartowellers often overwhelmed by the prospect of buying an entire case of beer, I didn't think that there would be any interested parties so, my apologies for any slight taken. I agree with you that the concept is dynamic and exciting and uptown Toronto desperately needs a place like this so all the best to you Brian, Stephen and the other investors.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Great to hear, Dan. I'll do what I can to promote beerbistro as it gets off the ground - please keep us up-to-date!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cass on 2002-10-28 20:36 ]</font>

Images

Post by Images »

In regards to Images posting about the "Beer Celler", I hope they know more about beer than they do about spelling...last time I looked there was no word such as "Celler" in the English language.
Okay, it's a bit late since your posting, but...

Hmm, I'll have to double check, but I do believe that's how it was posted on the "sign". The sign is a piece of paper printed on a cheap colour printer using some generic clip art. I doubt it was spell checked. :smile: But the place has been under construction for about 2 months, so I'm not sure how much is really being invested in the place.

Another place: I've heard that Piper's bar in the Royal York Hotel (lower level) has a large selection of bottled micro beers. Tap selection is still the majors/macros though.

Images

Post by Images »

Hmm, I'll have to double check, but I do believe that's how it was posted on the "sign".
And to update myself, I do apologize - I did make the mistake myself. After double checking the signs, it is spelled "cellar".

Of course I only read the sign on the way to work before I've hit the coffee shop next door for the morning wake-me-up shot. :smile: