Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

U.S. Craft Beer article in today's Post

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

U.S. Craft Beer article in today's Post

Post by Cass »

Article on U.S. craft beers in Ontario by Shannon Kari in today's National Post...featuring a couple of quotes from yours truly.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada ... ?id=395015

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Huh, good stuff, I'm always happy when a few more people learn what a joke the Beer Store is.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Keep on spreadin' the word. Sadly, I suspect that none of the eleven people who read the Post are beer drinkers.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Good story, with some good insight. The four US beers being added to the general list will be welcomed by all - all four are very sought out here in ON and the LCBO should be getting a pat on the back for getting them.

crawler

Post by crawler »

I saw the article this morning as I was flipping through the Post, great stuff. And it was in the main news section, not relegated to the food section in the middle. Looking forward to getting some of the Dogfish Head at my local outlet at hopefully a reasonable price.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Four US micros?

I think the (respective) agents have confirmed Southern Tier IPA, Rogue Dead Guy Ale and DFH 60 Minute - do we know yet what the other one will be?

-Josh

Zithal

Post by Zithal »

Do we know, for sure, which 4 beers the LCBO are bringing in? Is it still a secret. For what I've been able to gleen on the boards it sounds like...

Souther Tier IPA
DFH 60min
Brooklyn Chocolate Stout
one more?

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Never thought it would happen but things are lookin up at the LC.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

detritus wrote:Four US micros?

I think the (respective) agents have confirmed Southern Tier IPA, Rogue Dead Guy Ale and DFH 60 Minute - do we know yet what the other one will be?
Zithal wrote:Do we know, for sure, which 4 beers the LCBO are bringing in? Is it still a secret. For what I've been able to gleen on the boards it sounds like...

Souther Tier IPA
DFH 60min
Brooklyn Chocolate Stout
one more?
I think that means the four (that we know about) will be:

Southern Tier IPA
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
DFH 60 Minute
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

-Josh

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Great article!

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

There was an article about Trois Pistoles last year I think and there was a run on the beer store for a week or two after it with reports of people cutting out the article and saying "I want this" to the person behind the counter, but I don't know if that changed much in the long run.

However I'm very glad there is some publicity, and much more grateful for the bartowel link. I hope Cass and Greg can keep some stats on the daily hits to this site to see what impact that article had.

I wasn't aware of the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Looking forward to that and the DFH 60 Minute most. Too bad they are starting distribution of the rather heavy Brooklyn stout in April. I hope that the sales can keep up before the winter and it doesn't get de-listed.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

The Brooklyn choc stout can use some aging imho so buy it now drink it in the fall/winter.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Jan Primus wrote:The Brooklyn choc stout can use some aging imho so buy it now drink it in the fall/winter.
i agree. tasty fresh, but a little rough around the edges. the one to year old bottle i had was damn good. working on a 5 year vertical that i'll probably have sometime later this spring. looking forward to seeing how it stands up to more extensive aging.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

detritus wrote: Southern Tier IPA
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
DFH 60 Minute

-Josh
the brooklyn black chocolate is only coming in for the winter ales program, not as a general listing. so it's gotta be something else.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

tuqueboy wrote:
detritus wrote: Southern Tier IPA
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
DFH 60 Minute

-Josh
the brooklyn black chocolate is only coming in for the winter ales program, not as a general listing. so it's gotta be something else.
Booo! I'm excitable and patient, and winter's so far away! I suppose that it would be unlikely that an imperial stout would be on the general list anyway. Let's hope they replace it with ruination.