Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

In Cleveland:

Great Lakes Dortmunder
Breckenridge IPA
Fat Heads Zeus Juice
Fat Heads Headhunter IPA

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

At the airport in San Francisco going up to Vancouver, shared a glass of Anchor Porter at the Anchor bar there and one of Gordon Biersch's Octoberfest (seasonal). Both excellent even at ice cold American serving temperatures. The Biersch had good German notes, everything in the right place, aromatic both from malt and hops. Once again a good German-style amber beer reminded me of Anchor Steam in the city - Anchor had been founded (1800's) by a German immigrant brewer.

A number of bottled beers purchased in CA proved damp paper-oxidized including unfortunately Mendocino's Red Tail Ale, so I never got to taste this iconic ale in good condition. Ditto the Brekles Brown from Anchor I mentioned earlier, so these went down the drain.

Up in B.C., a bottle of Blue Buck similarly was not in great shape. Later, I had the chance to try it on draft but elected instead Fat Tug IPA and that was a big heavy IPA indeed in the modern U.S. style.

Good old Granville Island lager on the Island was fresh and tasty, perfect for a hot summer day.

Russell Brewing's Scotch ale was nicely smoky and rich. Whistler Brewing's two beers at the airport going out were good although I'd prefer a more assertive taste.

Gary
Gary Gillman

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Last Night at Town Hall:

Town Hall Masala Mama IPA
Sierra Nevada Brewer's Reserve

And lugged a growler of Masala Mama for half an hour hrough the rain back to the hotel for consumption tonight. Is that passionate?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:
Sly Fox Pikeland Pilsner - great hop-forward pils that was still holding up well despite seven months age. Had a nice oily-resiny character too.
Spearhead Hawaiian Style Pale Ale - tasty and refreshing but not as robust as the draught version of last year. I hope they haven't changed the recipe.
dale cannon wrote: And lugged a growler of Masala Mama for half an hour hrough the rain back to the hotel for consumption tonight. Is that passionate?
I'll venture that it was very much worth the effort?
G.M. Gillman wrote: Both excellent even at ice cold American serving temperatures.
Funny, I've never had any "ice cold" pints down south, which has led me to believe that many of the bars use temperature-controlled tap lines. You either have terrible luck or are frequenting the wrong spots. Also, I'm sorry to hear about the oxidized bottles. In my last dozen hauls I've only had one or two drain pours. I hope your fortune improves on future trips! :wink:
Last edited by cratez on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

cratez wrote: Funny, I've never had any "ice cold" pints down south, which has led me to believe that many of the bars use temperature-controlled tap lines.
Oddly enough, when I went to Bell's last year everything served was ice cold, even the Expedition Stout. That was during their renovations, so I'm not sure if things have changed or if that's how they truly serve their beers. I found it a bit weird but Bell's was only a quick stop before heading to Three Floyds and Chicago, so care factor wasn't too high.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Except for cask, I generally found the beer colder than in Canada and moreover sometimes served in an iced glass, even in beer aware places (quite a broad category these days). The beer seemed very fizzy, too. I don't think I went to the wrong places by the way - many I mentioned are classics in their genre - but certainly I wasn't able to visit as many as I wanted...

Gary
Gary Gillman

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

On my visit to San Diego earlier this year, I found that bars served beer in chilled glasses, which never happens here. Even at beer-focused bars (Neighbourhood, for one, the other I don't remember), which was disappointing.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

andrewrg wrote: On my visit to San Diego earlier this year, I found that bars served beer in chilled glasses, which never happens here. Even at beer-focused bars (Neighbourhood, for one, the other I don't remember), which was disappointing.
Disappointing indeed. That hasn't been my experience in the Great Lakes states and Central/Northern Florida, but I have yet to explore the beer scenes out west.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Krombacher Pils. I didn't like it at all and didn't finish it, I wonder if it's too old. A DAB was much better IMO with fresh, more natural beery tastes albeit rather light. Good though.

Gary
Gary Gillman

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

cratez wrote:
dale cannon wrote: And lugged a growler of Masala Mama for half an hour hrough the rain back to the hotel for consumption tonight. Is that passionate?
I'll venture that it was very much worth the effort?

Just cracked it open and.............yes.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

velovampire wrote:...for the past 3-4 months, it's definitely felt like saison is the new IPA in Ontario. Ich liebe es!
I'll agree with Vampire. IPAs took a while to get started as here well, but with Craft IPA's obvious commerial appeal the style did finally take off, and now those who like them, like them a lot. Even far outside of Toronto.

Saison could do the same these next few years. I hope.
- - - -
Been drinking Weihenstephaner.
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

homemade spontaneously fermented cider

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Anchor Summer Ale - Real fresh, bottled 3 weeks ago.

Domaine de la Minotiere Cidre Fermiere Bio Brut - A great, organic, funky off-dry Loire Valley cider.

Evil Twin Soft DK - Bottle version is kinda lacking compared to the draught version. Still a nice, hearty, warming impy stout.

Streets

Post by Streets »

Shared my bottle of Great Lakes Robust Porter (Buffalo Trace Bourbon barrel aged) with a HOZER earlier while picking up some fresh home-roasted Bolivian coffee beans. Sipping on a Mad Tom now, and looking forward to grinding some beans in the morning!

Huge thanks to Ryan or Cale (can't quite remember) for hooking me up with a bottle of the wax sealed porter!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I can`t drink a lot because of my Sarcoidosis, and I just found out today from my Rheumatologist that it may take 6 months to a year to clear up.

But my girlfriend is in Las Vegas right now and she is stocking up on the Nevade beers for me so I can get my Nevada ticks!! Doctors orders or not, ll be drinkin when she gets back!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!