Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Fuller's Vintage 2007. My last one. Some interesting cocoa notes developing in this one on top of the toffee, prune, candied fruit and spicey hops I remember from when it was fresh. Alcohol heat dropped out nicely. Maybe one of the better recent vintages, IMO.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

velovampire wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
markaberrant wrote:Tankhouse (tap) - undrinkable, sweet, cloying, almost no hop character, definitely an off keg
nope thats just how tankhouse tastes now
IFBIT.
took some googling to decifer that one :oops:

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

markaberrant wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
markaberrant wrote:Tankhouse (tap) - undrinkable, sweet, cloying, almost no hop character, definitely an off keg
nope thats just how tankhouse tastes now
hmm... could be, I have not had one in some time. About when do you think the recipe was changed?
i dont know if the recipe has changed or if my tastes have changed or if there is less consistancy now that more tankhouse is made or what happened. all i know is that tankhouse used to be a my favourite beer (2004??) and now i dont ever purchase it.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

matt7215 wrote:i dont know if the recipe has changed or if my tastes have changed or if there is less consistancy now that more tankhouse is made or what happened. all i know is that tankhouse used to be a my favourite beer (2004??) and now i dont ever purchase it.
I recall enjoying the odd pint or two over the last couple years. Not overly hoppy, but still some bitter grapefruit, and the malt even had a bit of chocolate in the finish. There was none of that going on in this pint.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Last night at Beer Bros in Regina:

Anchor Porter (tap) - incredible session porter, likely the best I have ever had, tastes just as good as when I first had it on tap in the SF airport

Half Pints Sweet Nikki Brown (tap) - solid brown ale. It is interesting that this one, as well as Bushwakker and Wild Rose brown ales are probably more in line with a brown porter, all have a fair bit of coffee and chocolate flavour. I really don't care for brown ales that don't have this character.

Anchor Beckle's Brown (tap) - pretty crappy brown ale, very disappointing.

Anchor Old Foghorn Barleywine (tap) - nothing special, kinda weird malt profile, this really isn't for me, needs more malt complexity or more hops/bitterness.

Anchor Our Special Ale (tap) - another one that doesn't really do it for me. Not a fan of spiced ales in general, and the spicing is way over the top in this one, with not much else going on. Have tried it a few other times in the bottle, tastes about the same.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at Gambrinus Bistro & Cafe:

Wellington IPA (cask)
Grand River Hannenberg Pils (draught)
Mikkeller Black Islay Edition Blue Wax (sample - thanks Adam!)

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

A few with sammy stephen rich and doug

Welly winter stout - ugh
shorts cuppa joe
hill farmstead clara
Victory dark intrigue
Widmer galaxy barley wine - great
nightman cometh
8wire sultan

And a few others

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Mill Street Franconian Bock. Not bad, but not memorable either.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

sprague11 wrote:A few with sammy stephen rich and doug

Welly winter stout - ugh
shorts cuppa joe
hill farmstead clara
Victory dark intrigue
Widmer galaxy barley wine - great
nightman cometh
8wire sultan

And a few others
I like that Shorts Cuppa Joe, had one back in the summer. Right now, enjoying a Garrison Ol' Fog Burner while cooking dinner (chicken marinated in rosemary ginger beer).
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I enjoyed a few Ontario brews over the holidays...

First stop was Grand River, where I grabbed an assortment of brews and a few Russian Guns to bring home. The Russian seems a little roastier than it use to, and a bit rough around the edges... I think it'll age nicely.

Picked up some Muskoka specials and the Mad Tom. Yeah, it's a fairly assertive IPA. The Ontario market is changing.

I had a couple of my old favourites at C'est What? with friends: Black Oak's Nutcracker and Durham's Hophead.

I got some Deviator in Oakville... great stuff.

Finished the trip with a Unibroue '17'. It'd certainly be better with some age.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

Monster Ale, La Trappe Quad and Nogne Imperial Stout. All of them are pretty damn good.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Homemade lemonade made with meyer lemons mixed with vodka. Oh wait, are we suppose to be talking about beer?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

With the FiL

Bell's Batch 9000 (not sure how this is considered an Imp. Stout)
Rochefort 10

at home
Homebrewed Chocolate Chip cookie ale
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

icemachine wrote:
It's not. Who said it was? BA calls it an American Strong Ale, which is probably the best style fit for it.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
icemachine wrote:
It's not. Who said it was? BA calls it an American Strong Ale, which is probably the best style fit for it.
I agree with ASA designation, Ratebeer has it as an Imperial Stout
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole