Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

liamt07 wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:
cratez wrote:Over the last two days in the Ormond-Daytona area:
Goose Island The Illinois IIPA
Was that any good? Every Goose Island beer I've had except for Sofie and Bourbon County have been average to bad but they're regarded, it seems, fairly highly as a brewery.
You need to drink more Goose Island. Well above average.
I'd rather not help line A-B InBev's pockets, thanks.

Cratez: Ah I see. Sounds alright.

I've never been able to figure out Goose Island's deal, as five of the seven beers I've had from them have been blah. That combined with the A-B thing always makes me apprehensive of their product.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

liamt07 wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote: Was that any good? Every Goose Island beer I've had except for Sofie and Bourbon County have been average to bad but they're regarded, it seems, fairly highly as a brewery.
You need to drink more Goose Island. Well above average.
I'd rather not help line A-B InBev's pockets, thanks.

Cratez: Ah I see. Sounds alright.

I've never been able to figure out Goose Island's deal, as five of the seven beers I've had from them have been blah. That combined with the A-B thing always makes me apprehensive of their product.
No sweat. I guess I'll just start drinking BCBS, Lolita, Juliet and Matilda etc for the two of us then.

I could care less who makes the beer. Delicious beer is delicious beer.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

liamt07 wrote:
Such an unfortunate mindset that, much to my chagrin, is becoming more widespread as the popularity of craft beer grows.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

liamt07 wrote:
Such an unfortunate mindset that, much to my chagrin, is becoming more widespread as the popularity of craft beer grows.
Delicious beer isn't delicious?

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

squeaky wrote:
liamt07 wrote:
Delicious beer isn't delicious?
Clearly that was what was meant by my post. Congratulations on being so clever.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Clearly that was what was meant by my post. Congratulations on being so clever.
I was just asking you to elaborate. Sheesh, touchy much?

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

squeaky wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Clearly that was what was meant by my post. Congratulations on being so clever.
The producer of the product in all things, not just beer, matters.

This "delicious beer is delicious, who cares who makes it?" mindset is an infection that's spreading throughout the craft beer world, usually thanks to neophytes.

There are countless independent options available, all of which are producing world class beer. To give money, knowingly, to a company that has done its best to destroy good beer and put small producers out of business defeats the entire purpose of drinking craft beer.

The "doesn't matter who makes it" mentality typically comes from people who just like to be seen drinking craft beer because it's "cool". It irritates me.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Buying crafty beer made by Macros is probably the only thing that will convince them to embrace it though, isn't it? The only reason I get to drink Goose Island stuff now is because they got bought out. Ditto for Ommegang.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

squeaky wrote:Buying crafty beer made by Macros is probably the only thing that will convince them to embrace it though, isn't it?
No, it'll simply encourage people to continue supporting companies that are undeserving of support.

We've allowed corporate entities to overtake so many facets of our lives that it is now impossible to remove their tendrils completely, which is sad.

However people can still draw lines in many areas, and the food and drink we consume is one of the easiest places to start.

One of the earliest tenets of the craft beer movement was "drink local", a message that is getting lost as companies like A-B InBev buy places like Goose Island.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

If their beer is excellent, why exactly are they undeserving of support?

Drink local is largely a marketing ploy, isn't it? I mean should I be shunning Russian River? Goose Island is made less than a thousand Kilometers from my house. Ommegang is 500 clicks or so, Molson Canadian is brewed 30 kilometers away.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

*sigh*

If I have to explain to you why supporting companies in your own backyard is better than supporting multinationals then this is a less than pointless discussion.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:*sigh*

If I have to explain to you why supporting companies in your own backyard is better than supporting multinationals then this is a less than pointless discussion.
It would help if you actually considered the points I was making.

What's better about supporting a US craft brewer than a semi-Canadian multinational that brews in the city I live in? Why should I care if the proceeds of selling beer get distributed to shareholders all around the world rather than lining John Hall's pockets?

Or are you actually saying we should only be buying from local craft breweries because local is better?

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

squeaky wrote:
This "delicious beer is delicious, who cares who makes it?" mindset is an infection that's spreading throughout the craft beer world, usually thanks to neophytes.

There are countless independent options available, all of which are producing world class beer. To give money, knowingly, to a company that has done its best to destroy good beer and put small producers out of business defeats the entire purpose of drinking craft beer.

The "doesn't matter who makes it" mentality typically comes from people who just like to be seen drinking craft beer because it's "cool". It irritates me.
a) Not a neophyte, I can assure you of that.

b) While there are numerous independent options, nothing in my current local market even approximates Bourbon County Stout, among the other world class beers Goose Island produces. Support local just for the sake of supporting local? No thanks. Beer is a sensory experience, and I'll support the best smelling/tasting products I can get my hands on.

c) How has InBev destroyed Goose Island? If anything, they've given them more than enough money to put their more of their beer into the hands of the consumer, without sacrificing the quality of their best products.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

liamt07 wrote: You want a discussion, we can have one. Leave the condescension out of it.
That's the thing, I don't want a discussion. I'm not particularly interested in discussing, or even promoting, craft beer anymore, least of all on the internet.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

liamt07 wrote: You want a discussion, we can have one. Leave the condescension out of it.
That's the thing, I don't want a discussion. I'm not particularly interested in discussing, or even promoting, craft beer anymore, least of all on the internet.
Simplest solution: stop posting on an internet forum.