Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Jan Primus wrote:Had an 07 magnum of Chimay Blue last night...to go along with the Leafs thrashing of the Habs.

Tis a reason to celebrate indeed. The leafs have a hard enough time winning, and they only thrash a team once or twice a season. Enjoy while you can.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Goddamn Leafs cost me money Thursday and Saturday night.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

My continuing, stupidly hopeful research in Aussie reds (Lucky Country 2006 Shiraz)....

I hope the Margaret River Cab will be WAY better...
Last edited by Belgian on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

tonight i had a homebrewed irish red ale and then a 750 of la fin du monde. i was blown away by this unibroue offering and this will now become a staple in my house. ive had the la fin du monde before but ive never had a better bottle then the one i had tonight.

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

matt7215 wrote:tonight i had a homebrewed irish red ale and then a 750 of la fin du monde. i was blown away by this unibroue offering and this will now become a staple in my house. ive had the la fin du monde before but ive never had a better bottle then the one i had tonight.
Try to get it in 750s - better.

Me, I'm about to open some dude's Orval clone ... :lol:

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

Dogfish Head 60 --> Southern Tier IPA --> Dogfish Head 60 --> Dogfish Head 60 --> Southern Tier IPA
Dammit didn't want to hit the hard stuff. Well now:

Victory Storm King. Ahhhhh well all resistance gone......

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I don't know if Storm King is way 'harder' than the IPAs... but okay.

I'm hankering for some Fin Du Monde now... that Burton Porter was one strange duck!

And the Erdinger Weisse is actually quite decent - creamy and fresh with a hint of banana fruit and maybe a note of vanilla.
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Belgian wrote:I don't know if Storm King is way 'harder' than the IPAs... but okay.
I think he was referencing the fact that the SK is 9% abv vs. the lower abv IPAs

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Last night I had Paradisiac Blanche de Montréal, a wheat beer brewed for Supermarché Rahmann. It was very solid (though not spectacular), and it had a really nice coriander flavour to it. I think I have now completely cleared out my stock of wheat beers in preparation for something a little heavier and richer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JerCraigs wrote:
Belgian wrote:I don't know if Storm King is way 'harder' than the IPAs... but okay.
I think he was referencing the fact that the SK is 9% abv vs. the lower abv IPAs
I guess the SK is fairly strong, I thought it was closer in % alcohol.

I never think of most Imperials as being that strong, LOL! I should probably session with 'regular' St. Peter's Cream Stout or Sinha Stout, both closer to IPA strength.
In Beerum Veritas

Ale Belly

Post by Ale Belly »

This is my first post, so I figured I'd go with the easiest message string:

I'm drinking Hockley Dark... Gotta love those English malts!!

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

I have and 07 Double Bastard in the fridge - that's my next target!

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

JerCraigs wrote:I think he was referencing the fact that the SK is 9% abv vs. the lower abv IPAs
Yes correct. I have a threshold of rate of alcoholic beverage consumption v.s. abv beyond which the speed of consumption can get me into trouble. Typically this is 7% or so for a beer. Stronger beers with well hidden alcohol like Storm King and Chimay Blue do me in as my rate of consumption is the same and can accelerate even depending on my mood. My self control can be severely hindered at such times.

Fortunately my wife caught me with the Storm King last night. She sees a dark colored beer she knows to cut me off.

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

HogTownHarry wrote:I have and 07 Double Bastard in the fridge - that's my next target!
Actually, it's a well-cellared '06 - wooooo!

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

HogTownHarry wrote:
HogTownHarry wrote:I have and 07 Double Bastard in the fridge - that's my next target!
Actually, it's a well-cellared '06 - wooooo!
This MOFO is kickin' my ass. Woot.