Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

A full pint?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Gedge
Bar Fly

A full pint?

Post by Gedge »

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/ba ... 4053.story

I guess I won't be drinking at Hooters anymore.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The shape of the glass apparently can distort bar patrons' perception of how much beer they have been served.
Two swift words for the Restaurateurs!

Honestly, for all the time hassle expense tax tip parking bullshit bullshit bullshit... all this just for going OUT, is it really necessary to short-pour an insult on top of all that financial injury? Is the "two oz ripoff" resto managers are committing really very smart or are these guys just shooting themself in the foot?

The 'hop and barley crisis / spending slowdown' angle is poor justification, because patrons will start saying "f-ck it, I'm spending out even LESS." So, it is a total false economy to defraud customers in the long run. [I really would TRY to see the restaurants point of view here but I can't get my head that far up my arse.]
In Beerum Veritas

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

I can't remember the last time I ate at a chain restaurant. If I'm going to go out and spend the money, I'll go somewhere decent. From experience, I'd expect that a place with a decent craft beer selection is less likely to shaft you. Most of the time, I'd rather cook - I'm pretty good at it, and the beer selection at my house is a fair bit better than most restaurants. :P

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Wow, that's just unscrupulous. Bastards!

This actually brings me to a question I've had for a while, can't find anything on the 'webs about it:

Do Hoegaarden glasses (the large tumblers, not the small ones) carry more beer than a regular pint glass when filled all the way?

I'm pretty convinced that they do. I did an experiment once and it seemed there was an ounce or two extra for beer, but I could use some backup.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

But short filling a pint glass goes on all the time in Toronto, more so than anywhere else I've been. At least in the UK you can ask them to top it up to a full pint, whereas if you did it here you just get a dirty look from the bartender or waiter/waitress. If I'm paying for a pint, be it a 16oz, 20 oz or 22oz pint, I want a full glass of liquid, not an inch or so of foam at the top.

The only way to go is to have over-sized glass with a clearly defined Pint line, then you are free to have a foam head or no head.

It was probably a quiet day in the news room when they wrote this.

Magni

Post by Magni »

the hoegaarden glass pours one pint but has extra room for a decent 2 finger head, much like the stella pint glasses. There is a .5cl mark on ths side of the glass.

beanmedic

Post by beanmedic »

Magni wrote:the hoegaarden glass pours one pint but has extra room for a decent 2 finger head, much like the stella pint glasses. There is a .5cl mark on ths side of the glass.
ya i love that

Colin @ Canada

Post by Colin @ Canada »

Considering that the big chains get countless of free kegs from Molson American and EuroBatts, there is no excuse for short pouring.

DrJay

Post by DrJay »

I make it a point to only accept my pint if it's a "biker pour". Right up to the lip of the glass so that it spills when I pick it up.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Check out City Rant in today's Post (http://www.nationalpost.com/todays_pape ... ?id=607182).

A Toronto member of an unidentified English pub chain is topping off "pints" with an inch of foam to bring them in at 18.5 ounces.