Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Volo Cask Days - Oct 17-19

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Torontoblue wrote:Why would bigger samples have sucked? It'd been bigger samples the previous 3 years with no complaints, and there was still a lot of beer left at the end of those events even though the selection was smaller.
Because in the past the samples were way too big. They weren't samples, they were practically half-pints. And every year past Volo has had to deal with people getting wasted. The whole point of the festival is to sample good beers and I, as well as all the people I talked to felt the size of the samples was just right. In the past, with the size of the samples given, I never would have been able to go to three sessions in a row like I did this year, I would have been wrecked. plus, if you go to any other North American beer festival, you won't get bigger samples then we got at Volo.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Blankboy wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Why would bigger samples have sucked? It'd been bigger samples the previous 3 years with no complaints, and there was still a lot of beer left at the end of those events even though the selection was smaller.
Because in the past the samples were way too big. They weren't samples, they were practically half-pints. And every year past Volo has had to deal with people getting wasted. The whole point of the festival is to sample good beers and I, as well as all the people I talked to felt the size of the samples was just right. In the past, with the size of the samples given, I never would have been able to go to three sessions in a row like I did this year, I would have been wrecked. plus, if you go to any other North American beer festival, you won't get bigger samples then we got at Volo.
Well, I guess it must be a UK thing that a 1/2 pint is a decent sample size.

That was the one thing I liked about Cask Days, is that it was unique and didn't follow every other North American beer festival, and was more like your typical UK event. Now it's a sampling event which took some of the shine away for me and I found hard to adjust to.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Torontoblue wrote: That was the one thing I liked about Cask Days, is that it was unique and didn't follow every other North American beer festival, and was more like your typical UK event. Now it's a sampling event which took some of the shine away for me and I found hard to adjust to.
I understand your frustration about not accessing some of the new stuff - I personally would have missed out on a couple of new things had I not gone again Monday night, but we pretty much knew that was going to happen in advance. It's a function of trying to spread the new stuff across sessions, and if they had not done that people would be complaining about stuff running out. What we should really ask is why we don't see more of these ideas throughout the year! :)

Cask Days as a whole is a great example of how hard it is to balance things to try to please the most people. Nitpicking aside, I'd say we can agree that Ralph et al did a lot more right than they did wrong.

I was personally pretty happy with the sample sizes, you could double up if you wanted, and I went back for more of some of the ones I particularly liked. There were a handful that I was quite glad to NOT have a half pint of. I can understand wanting larger samples, but as blankboy pointed out, obnoxious drunkards is one of the potential consequences of bigger pours.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

JerCraigs wrote:What we should really ask is why we don't see more of these ideas throughout the year! :)
Nitpicking aside, I'd say we can agree that Ralph et al did a lot more right than they did wrong.
Couldn't agree more on both points.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

A good event. Thanks to all that put it on. The breakfast grub was excellent and for me the 8 year old cheddar was the tastiest cheese out of the four tasty cheeses available.

Of the new stuff I tried my favourite was the Hockley Black Forest Stout. That smelled wonderful and tasted great. I think it would be even better if it had fully body and was on nitro. Hint! Hint! That would make a tasty Christmas beer.
lister

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

There was a writeup in today's Star:

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/521316

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

We were at Volo last night for dinner and to try some other casks that weren't available to us on Saturday.

- Double Red. Very nice, could drink this on a regular basis. Anyone note the percentage? It seemed higher than what I was expecting.

- Tobacco Road. Wasn't sure what to expect with this but was pleasantly surprised by the aroma and taste. I got mostly chocolate.

- Peach & Pepper. WOW! :o Nice stuff! It has a nice smell and some good heat that fortunately doesn't keep escalating which would make this unbearable. I'd have a pint or buy a bottle of this from time to time.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Gedge wrote:There was a writeup in today's Star:

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/521316
Good piece. Would like to try some Hopfenstark (it means 'hop-strong' by the way.)

And who is this 'Greg Clow' character they keep quoting? :-?
In Beerum Veritas

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Good report. If Josh Rubin liked London Pride, he'd have loved Fuller ESB.

And while I agree that in principle cask beer is a local concept, it does not have to be so, necessarily, as the quality of the Fuller's ESB showed, or the Penombre (Black IPA) from Quebec.

Recently in New York I had some excellent Two Brothers cask beer brought in all the way from - Illinois. It depends how it is kept. Cask ale can last 3-4 months before tapping, the November 7 tapping of Fuller's at Volo promises to be excellent as the beers too will have had the chance to rest and drop bright.

Gary

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

Was there at 4pm yesterday. There are still over a dozen kegs outside for $5 pint or $2.50 half pint.

And I agree that the Peach and Pepper is Wow! It smells great, tastes amazing, and ends with the pepper gripping your throat with a hot feeling that lightly lingers just long enough until your next sip. I could easily drink several pints of this.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

who is will be there sunday?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'm definitely making it since I had to miss last weekend
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I'm hoping to make it out. Should be fun!

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

I'd like to add my much-delayed, big thanks to Ralph, his family and the rest of the Volo gang for the best Cask Days yet! A great selection of beer, a less crowded environment, great cheese and snacks, the staff were great and everyone seemed in a great mood, including myself. I enjoyed myself greatly!
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Hey Everyone, I've set up a group on Flickr for Cask Days 2008 if anyone wants to add their photos of their day,

http://flickr.com/groups/880177@N25/