Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Toronto Beer Festival 2008 Aug 8,9,10

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

efman

Toronto Beer Festival 2008 Aug 8,9,10

Post by efman »

Wow. I know Saturday has turned into a huge drunken frat party, but you guys arnt even talking about the TBF ???

I come here at this time every year to read what you guys are saying and to plan my attendance.

Any "buzz" out there?

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

efman wrote:Wow. I know Saturday has turned into a huge drunken frat party, but you guys arnt even talking about the TBF ???

I come here at this time every year to read what you guys are saying and to plan my attendance.

Any "buzz" out there?
Apologies if we seem disinterested. It's likely due to the fact that most of us are. Usually we (myself included) complain about the MANY flaws of this festival, we grumble and threaten not to attend and then, invariably, many of us show up regardless because...it's a beer festival in our back yard and it seems remiss not to go. Doesn't mean I'm excited about it in the least and I'm really not motivated to generate "buzz" for something as inferior as this festival routinely turns out to be.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Jon Walker wrote:
efman wrote:Wow. I know Saturday has turned into a huge drunken frat party, but you guys arnt even talking about the TBF ???

Any "buzz" out there?
Apologies if we seem disinterested. It's likely due to the fact that most of us are. Usually we (myself included) complain about the MANY flaws of this festival, we grumble and threaten not to attend and then, invariably, many of us show up regardless because...it's a beer festival in our back yard and it seems remiss not to go. Doesn't mean I'm excited about it in the least and I'm really not motivated to generate "buzz" for something as inferior as this festival routinely turns out to be.
... and, of course, this'll be the first year sans Perry, so who knows if there'll even be anything interesting worth drinking.

-Josh

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

There always seems to be something. If I recall correctly, last year's festival brought us (well me, anyways) our first taste of Devil's Pale Ale. That was almost worth the price of admission right there.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We'll be there pouring Duvel, Chimay Premiere, Chimay White, Mort Subite Kriek, Mort Subite Framboise, St. Peter's English, Sam Smith Nut Brown, Rogue Dead Guy and Dogfish Head 60 Minute...perhaps not "interesting" but for a nice day in the sun and some good music, a distraction for some. We're there to put our beers in front of young people who normally crowd around the bikinied bimbos at Cool...and you know what?...it works for the most part. BT'ers I'm sure find the fest pedestrian but we would never pass up on it as we find hundreds of converts every year.

efman

Post by efman »

detritus wrote:
Jon Walker wrote:

Any "buzz" out there?
... and, of course, this'll be the first year sans Perry, so who knows if there'll even be anything interesting worth drinking.

-Josh

WHAT!?!?!? No Perry? Fill me in. His beers are the highlight of festival.

Edit: just found all the press releases. Good luck in whatever you pursue Perry.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

For those who are curious, here's a list of breweries/agents that are on hand at the Festival this year, according to the official program I got there last night:

Adnams
Amsterdam
Asahi
Beers of the World (Esprit)
Big Rock
Brick
Budweiser
Cameron's
Cool
Creemore
Great Lakes
Guinness & Red Stripe
Innis & Gunn
Labatt (incl. Lakeport & various Inbev)
McAuslan
McClelland Imports
Mill St.
Molson
Moosehead
Neustadt Springs
Niagara's Best
Nickel Brook
Old Credit
PC
Radeberger
Robert Simpson
St. Andre
Singha
Slavutich/Lvivske
Sleeman (incl. Dos Equis & Sol)
Steam Whistle
Steelback
Trafalgar
True North (Magnotta)
Tyskie/Lech
Walkerville
Warsteiner
Wellington

The only festival exclusives I could find were Great Lakes IPA (in their booth near the main stage) and Green Tea Ale (in their booth in the Napoleon/Ted Reader area). The IPA was the highlight of the fest for me, along with the Adnams beers (they were pouring Bitter, Broadside & Explorer).

Other than that, it was pretty "meh" beerwise. I enjoyed samples from the usual suspects (Black Oak, Cameron's, etc.), but Perry was sorely missed, as was the special cask from Black Oak (they've been too busy with the move to do anything special - although they had the Cherry Chocolate Stout on tap alongside the usual pair, so that was better than nothing).

At least I got to see the English Beat, who were one of my favourite bands back in high school. Only the main vocalist, Dave Wakeling, is left from the original line-up, but they still put on a great set.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

I am looking forward to attending this afternoon. While the list Greg has posted doesn't have anything spectactular on it there are a few I have considered buying but would like to try a sample first. I have never been to this fest before, while I am sad that Perry doesn't have an entry nor is there anything special from Black Oak, I am still keen to check it out. After my many years in Calgary, I am excited to revisit some Big Rock brews that I haven't had for a few years and maybe they will have something new.

So far I am planning on attending alone. If you see a red headed fellow in a yellow shirt and blue hat feel free to say Howdy.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'll be there with a crowd, celebrating my birthday. Will the Carlsberg Human Fooseball Pitch be back?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Did not see human foosball, there was a beach volleyball court.

I went last night, and the highlight was probably running into some old friends I had not seen for years, plus catching up with the usual BarTowel and brewery guys. The beer selection was less exciting, as mentioned just a couple of new things.

They've certainly beefed up on security - I saw cops, private security personnel and yellow-shirted 'alcohol enforcement' who looked like they were making sure nobody got drunk and there was no funny business with the sampling. Seemed like a bit much on the constabulary front.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

The yellow-shirted Nazi alcohol "enforcement" people were pulling no punches. One of my booth people took a small sip of one of our beers as she had never tasted it. We received a formal warning and a threat of explusion for a second offence. Frankly, there's nothing wrong with that. Booth people should not be drinking and exhibitors should not be serving inebriated people so the crowd was well behaved. Listen, as an attendee you can pretty much drink as much as you want as long as you're not falling down or slurring speech so no one should feel initimidated. My booth has always refused to serve intoxicated people only to see them trot down to the next booth and get a full glass. There have been years in the past when things got quite out of hand so we appreciated all of the additional security which must has cost a fortune but I think will make it a better experience for everyone. Drop by and see us (look for the Duvel and Chimay umbrellas above the tent). We're pouring Chimay Premiere, Chimay White, Duvel, Sam Smith Nut Brown, St. Peter's English, Rogue Dead Guy, Mort Subite Framboise, Mort Subite Kriek.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

It's is my understanding that Black Oak will have a special beer today and Saturday.

I heard that second hand, but by a person that knows Ken really well and was upset he won't be around to try it.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

It is really sad such security is needed (or thought to be needed). The best beer fests that I have been to (Michigan for example) have such a laid back vibe to them that frat boy drunkenness is never an issue - security at these events is in the background, not in your face, and that certainly helps in terms of atmosphere. The walk up to the event last night featured 10-12 security folks and cops plus organizers barking at us to get in the right line (there was no line actually) and then someone else barking at us not to lose our glass or it would cost us $20. Friendly!

But for Toronto's big brewery friendly, beach volleyball, etc fest, such security is likely needed given the crowd it attracts.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

The security definitely took away from the vibe. Just last week I was at Lolla in Chicago where there was 200,000 people, full cups of beer free to drink (no restricted beer gardens) and even full bottles of wine. There was certainly security personnel but you never felt they were standing there watching you, which was the case at the TorBeerFest. In the past the Toronto Beer Fest made me mad at the shit they did. Now I just don't really care anymore.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

In the past the Toronto Beer Fest made me mad at the shit they did. Now I just don't really care anymore.
Agree 100% Cass. I enjoyed it as an opportunity to hang out and chat with friends and fellow beer folks. The less busy Thursday night (it was still busy mind you) gave me an opportunity to just that, and I just ignored all of the other crap that was there.