Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sleeman in the Distillery

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Sleeman in the Distillery

Post by Cass »

I was at the Distillery District for a Soulpepper show tonight and noticed something that I'm pretty sure is new.

It seems that the Distillery District has done a deal with Sleeman for pouring rights for the public spaces of the district. There were large Sleeman banners around the district, and in the main area next to Mill Street (where the jazz festival stage and patio is), all the draught beers are Sleeman products (Sleeman's main line and OK Spring).

So although I don't really have a huge problem with the Distillery signing a deal with Sleeman (better them than Mol or Lab), it's unfortunate that Mill Street is out of the public space area. Usually once or twice a summer I would go down to an event like the jazz fest and hang out on the patio, and it was great to be able to have Mill's beers - especially in contrast to most urban events where the 'beer gardens' have pretty awful selection.

I also can't help but think that the Distillery has lost some of its "let's support each other" feel when there are huge Sleeman banners up and there's a brewery right there.

Anyway, I get it that it was probably a good deal for the Distillery, but its kinda sad too, although not altogether unsurprising.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

The whole issue of pouring rights, whether at events or in bars, irritates me big time. Especially when it leads to exclusivity, I mean lack of choice.

It's one thing for a marketing department to gain visibility by sponsoring events or buying banner space, but it speaks of corporate insecurity when you are not prepared to have your products displayed next to your competitors. I guess their beer is just not good enough to be compared to others.

This is not unique to our market, I've seen this in venues and pubs all over the world. It's sad though. There are many bars and restaurants that have fallen off my patronage list because they have elected to only serve crap on tap.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

My Dad and I were in the Distillery District just the other weekend for the first time, and I was impressed by the over-all neat look to the place/the Mill St. Brewery (didn't have time to enjoy the brew pub unfortunately). But I have to admit that all the Sleeman stuff seemed weird and unpleasant to me. It seemed like an insult to Mill St.

I did notice however, that one of the bars under a canopy was serving Maudite on tap, along side all the other Sleeman products. I guess they deserve a little credit for putting one of the better beers they own on tap. We're still planning on going back at some point to eat at and experience the brew pub, which I'm looking forward to.
Last edited by JesseM on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

That's rough. I'd ask the manager, or whoever would listen, why they don't have any beer from the brewery just down the street and then just order water.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bytowner wrote:That's rough. I'd ask the manager, or whoever would listen, why they don't have any beer from the brewery just down the street and then just order water.
To be fair - it's likely that the restaurants in the Distillery (or rather, the people who work in the restaurants) had much say in the matter. I expect the decision was made higher up than at the restaurant manager level. So complaining to them probably wouldn't do much good.

And as Jesse notes above, there are Unibroue taps alongside the Sleeman ones. Aside from Maudite, I've also seen Blanche de Chambly on tap down there. So while it sucks that they're not supporting Mill Street, the selection isn't completely dire - and there's always the Mill Street Brewpub to patronize if you want to avoid all things Sleeman.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

GregClow wrote: To be fair - it's likely that the restaurants in the Distillery (or rather, the people who work in the restaurants) had much say in the matter. I expect the decision was made higher up than at the restaurant manager level. So complaining to them probably wouldn't do much good.

And as Jesse notes above, there are Unibroue taps alongside the Sleeman ones. Aside from Maudite, I've also seen Blanche de Chambly on tap down there. So while it sucks that they're not supporting Mill Street, the selection isn't completely dire - and there's always the Mill Street Brewpub to patronize if you want to avoid all things Sleeman.
I was assuming that the distillery district has a similar set up to Ottawa communities like Bank Street and Sparks Street. Generally these business groups form organizations to develop their area. As such, I figured the business owners in the district would have taken a vote on the issue, or at least debated it, with the winning argument being that granting exclusive rights to Sleemans would result in more revenue. The assumption they're working on is that the poor sods couldn't care less what beer they're drinking.

I think I'd support a local brewery with good beer over a non-local brewery with good beer (Unibroue).

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

I talked with Steve Abrams today about the situatation. He is not too happy. I have posted a short piece on my blog.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Mill Street should put on a big Dempsters Bread and Starbucks coffee promotion to keep in the spirit of things. (I'm kidding that would be dumb.)

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Pub Style wrote:I talked with Steve Abrams today about the situatation. He is not too happy. I have posted a short piece on my blog.
From Troy's post:

"Now Sleeman banners hang in between buildings everywhere in the Distillery and even over the front door to the brewpub."

I didn't realize this.

In that case, forget my diplomatic post above. While I still don't think it's right to question restaurant staff about it, since it's completely out of their hands, I do think that the Distillery Restaurant Group are a bunch of scumbags for doing this. Especially after all of the claims made over the years that the folks behind the Distillery always try to support the little guy, keep the District free of chain stores, yadda yadda yadda.

This is no different than if they let Starbucks open up next door to Balzac's, complete with a banner hanging across the Balzac's patio. Sheesh.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

What an unbelievable story. The only reason a lot of tourists (like me) even know that the Distillery District exists is because of Mill Street. I always encourage friends and co-workers going to Toronto to visit the Mill Street Brewpub. The ones that do get there come back saying that they enjoyed it. I wouldn't send them there for a Sleemans (we can buy that here).

MetalHead

Post by MetalHead »

This is a pretty big low blow by sleemans. I'd always though they were above this cutthroat Molbatts sort of thing.

Time go to the brewpub and support mill street.
Beer, not just for breakfast anymore.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

When the district first opened, I thought, here is a great business and arts incubator.

The most successful result has been Mill St. and maybe Balzacs. I think it's great there is a place that can launch quality micro businesses into quality mid-macro businesses. It's what turns me on about the neighbourhood more than the tourist mandate.

I wonder, though, if this situation is some sort of sour grapes on the part of DRG? Mill St. has run circles around these guys in terms of business success. Maybe DRG felt slighted by not becoming the next Jack Astors while Mill St. became the brew wonder?

I do have to say kudos for Sleeman for aggressive marketing. I think it's a nasty mess and I'd rather a Mill St. beer any day (yes even over Unibrue), but you have to give credit to their marketing department for running hard.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I do have to say kudos for Sleeman for aggressive marketing. I think it's a nasty mess and I'd rather a Mill St. beer any day (yes even over Unibrue), but you have to give credit to their marketing department for running hard.
No you certainly do not. There is aggressive well thought out marketing and then there is the type of marketing that can back fire because it causes ill will. There are bigger fish to fry for Sleaman's and causing confusion in the distillery district is pretty dumb imho. I understand why they feel threatened by Mill St., but to hang a banner outside of their competitor's brew pub smacks of pissed off little 6 year old temper tantrum marketing, which unfortunately prevails in too many marketing departments these days.

Tapsucker - I wish you the best of luck in asking folks on this board to give Sleeman's credit here..

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The whole thing probably wouldn't bug me as much as it does if I didn't already detest the tired and smarmy "John Sleeman and his grandfather's recipe" shtick , which seems to be on some radio stations every 10 minutes or so.

I haven't had a Sleeman product in about a decade and this latest bombast makes me resent the company even more.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sleeman is Sapporo Japan's brand now, not John Sleeman's.

Mill Street nowadays is just a nice big 'brewpub', with the actual brewing operations moved far away. I'd just as soon pick up some Tankhouse and cook at home most days, but the bar's nice.

In any case MS Pub remains a respect-worthy symbol of independent hipness and original vision in an area of town that not so many years ago was very edgy and cool... The Distillery Distict seems to be becoming "sanitized" & yuppiefied by condos and big-money advertising, while our charming, low-key memories of what it once was are slowly fading.

Brick Street Bakery remains a phenomenal stop as well. Nothing like it anywhere.
In Beerum Veritas