Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Star: More "What's wrong with Ontario beer" articl

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sstackho
Bar Fly

Star: More "What's wrong with Ontario beer" articl

Post by sstackho »

Beer hunters tap into Quebec

Ontarians easy to spot at the Gatineau Costco. They're the ones buying carloads of cheap suds

Rest of article at http://www.thestar.com/article/475123

VIVE LA PRICE DIFFERÉNCE

OTTAWA–So why are beer prices often cheaper in Quebec?

Ontario consumers point to The Beer Store, blaming the lack of retail competition for the dearth of beer sales.

But the big breweries – Labatt, Molson and Sleeman – cite Ontario tax laws, which they say boost prices over comparable brands in Quebec.

Rest of article in sidebar at: http://www.thestar.com/article/475123

Price comparison at http://multimedia.thestar.com/acrobat/f ... e71bfa.pdf (Nice price on that St Ambroise - even if it is in the "Imported" section!)

Beer protest comes to a head

Self-styled average Joe is fighting to break up near-monopoly in suds

Rest of article at http://www.thestar.com/article/475135
Last edited by sstackho on Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Thanks sstacko. I'm actually going to head across the bridge today for some Quebec booze. Do I have to go to confession when I get back?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bytowner wrote:Thanks sstacko. I'm actually going to head across the bridge today for some Quebec booze. Do I have to go to confession when I get back?

Only if you buy the coldest tasting beer they have.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

I am in Oregon this weekend.
It would take me months to get through all the great tasting beers.

beer heaven...

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Further to this growing anti-Beer Store movement - I got the following email from a guy named David Campbell who appears to have something brewing (no pun intended):
Hi Greg. I am wondering if you can refer me to other people who are willing and interested in doing something about the current beer monopoly. A petition was a start, but I have a more workable alternative to shake up the status quo.

If you have any suggestions on other people who are passionate about the issue, let me know. There are two skill sets that I am interested in:

- people with good website creation skills
- someone to be the media contact, if needed
Anyone interested in finding out more can contact David at duke6am AT hotmail DOT com

MattB

Post by MattB »

More in today's Star ... this time, an MPP plans to present a petition aganist the BS in the legislature.

MPP plans to bring beer petition to Legislature
Halton's Ted Chudleigh pushes for sale of suds in grocery, corner stores
August 15, 2008
DANA FLAVELLE
BUSINESS REPORTER

A senior Tory politician says he's backing a private citizen's efforts to break up The Beer Store's near monopoly on beer sales in Ontario.

Ted Chudleigh, opposition critic on economic development and trade, said yesterday he's agreed to support and present Derek Forward's petition in the Legislature as a first step toward change.

The petition calls on the government to open up Ontario's $2.9 billion a year beer market to grocery and corner stores, creating more competition for The Beer Store.

The MPP for Halton said yesterday he supports Forward's view that a foreign-owned, privately-held company shouldn't control 80 per cent of beer sales in the province.

"I don't see how Ontario is benefiting the way it used to when it was Canadian-owned," he said, referring to the period before Canadian brewers Labatt, Molson and Sleeman became part of Belgium's InBev SA, Colorado-based Molson Coors and Japan's Sapporo, respectively.

Together, the three firms own and control The Beer Store in a way that small local craft brewers say makes it difficult for them to compete.
Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty has said he doesn't believe The Beer Store is broken and so doesn't need to be fixed.

He has also said he believes The Beer Store does the best job of ensuring booze isn't sold to underage kids.

But Chudleigh, who once owned an IGA store in Niagara Region, says stores can train their staff how to check customers' ID and after renovating their premises to accommodate beer sales, they would be loath to lose their beer licence by selling to minors.

"It's less of an issue than it was before," said Chudeigh, referring to jurisdictions where beer is sold through competitive channels.
Chudleigh says he's hoping to present Forward's petition the week of Sept. 22.

Meanwhile, Forward says he's working on getting signatures. So far, his online petition at www.ipetitions.com/nobeerstore, has attracted more than 5,000 names.

But he now needs people to sign a formal paper document that Chudleigh can present in the Legislature.

As part of that effort, Forward says he'll be holding petition-signing days outside Beer Stores across Ontario, starting in his hometown of Burlington this Saturday, outside the downtown store on Elizabeth St.

Chudleigh said petitions can sometimes lead directly to change in government policy, as it did last year after 20,000 people signed his protest against eliminating the Lord's Prayer from the Legislature's opening ceremonies.

Other times, petitions are just a starting point. If the government declines to take action on The Beer Store, Chudleigh said he would take the issue to his party's caucus and try to make it part of their next election campaign platform.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Thanks for posting that Matt, almost forgot to print off the petition.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Anyone hear the recent Beer Store radio ads with the ironic tag line of "feeling the heat"? They implore Ontarians to buy at the Beer Store where the beer is big, fresh and cool and not at that other place (whomever would that be?) where they only sell expensive six packs. Feeling the heat indeed. Wonder how Dalton feels about his precious Beer Store taking jabs at his precious LCBO...

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

I could get better cold beer selection at any gas station in Oregon than at the Beer Store in Ontario...like entering another world. And 64 oz. growlers available for takeaway at the brew pubs...

At least the Star keeps publishing stories...good for the paper...maybe they might actually have an impact at some point...
(cue the famous scene from the movie Network)

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Good editorial in favour of expanding liquor sales. The article focuses on wine, but hey, it's from the St. Catherines Standard. We know the wider implications:

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/ArticleD ... ?e=1154195

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

During a Niagara visit last month, Premier Dalton McGuinty told The Standard he is willing to consider the idea once the council can flesh out a proposal: "What I'm trying to say is we have ongoing dialogue with the industry, and if they think (private wine shops) will help the industry, I guess we'll be prepared to consider it."
So how come wine can get a consideration, while an OCB store idea gets shut down immeadiately?[/quote]
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

icemachine wrote: So how come wine can get a consideration, while an OCB store idea gets shut down immeadiately?
Because alcoholics don't drink wine, they drink beer. Duh! Also we all know those 13 year olds would take advantage of all that expensive craft beer if it the gallant BS employees weren't there to keep them safe. I mean really icemachine, do I need to explain everything to you?

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Star has run an editorial on the issue,
http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/479634

Their main argument is about price, which is kind of weak, but still.

Anyone else get the e-mail from the petition guy? I like the table he set up outside his local store. The petition may not do much, but I'm sure he introduced alot of people to just how stupid the system is. Props to him.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I really wish they would stop making price such an issue. "We want cheap booze" isn't exactly going to win over the MADDing crowds. In most cases, we're talking about a couple bucks here and there.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I'd like directions to the Beer Store that carries "350 brands".