Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Petition into the Legislature

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Beer Petition into the Legislature

Post by Cass »

It would seem that the beer petition started in the summer has made it into the legislature - searching through the daily archives reveals a couple of announcements made by Ted Chudleigh, most recently on November 6th:
BEER RETAILING AND DISTRIBUTION

Mr. Ted Chudleigh: I have a petition to the Legislative Assembly of Ontario.

"Whereas the current system, practice and arrangement of retailing and distributing beer in the province of Ontario-and more specifically, the 'near monopoly' of The Beer Store-severely restricts the accessibility, convenience and choice for retail consumers of beer in Ontario; and

"Whereas The Beer Store 'near monopoly' is controlled by 'for-profit, foreign-owned companies' and these companies are not accountable to the people of Ontario, and these companies do not act in the best interests of the people of Ontario;

"We, the undersigned, petition the Legislative Assembly of Ontario as follows:

"That legislation be introduced that will permit the retailing and distribution of beer through alternative and additional grocery and supermarket retail channels that will fairly compete with The Beer Store, thereby allowing an accessible, convenient, safe, well-regulated and environmentally responsible retailing environment for beer to become established in the province of Ontario."

I agree with this petition and I'm glad to sign my name and pass it to my page Elise.
Not sure if the government will / needs to respond.

MattB

Post by MattB »

It looks good, but it's just a Member's Statement. Nobody really pays any attention to these. It's a start ... maybe some action will happen, but I doubt it. Too many entrenched interests (corporations $$$, unions, etc.). However, Steve Peters, the Speaker, has indicated an interest in promoting the Ontario craft beer industry. He might be a logical next step.

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

MattB wrote:It looks good, but it's just a Member's Statement. Nobody really pays any attention to these. It's a start ... maybe some action will happen, but I doubt it...
With respect, no one ever pays any attention to the causes that are given up before they are put on paper. Pushing the issue takes more than a thousand steps. Good work, Cass - even if you are just keeping the spotlight on it for us..