Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Volo Cask Days Rumour

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

denguy

Volo Cask Days Rumour

Post by denguy »

I've heard this crazy rumour that Ralph will be moving the Cask Days festival to another location for 2009.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

It's been talked about for the past 2 years.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

For the love of God, don't post a title like that! I immediately thought that Volo would be closing or changing hands! :cry:

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bobsy wrote:For the love of God, don't post a title like that! I immediately thought that Volo would be closing or changing hands! :cry:
I thought the same thing!

So I've used my Magic Admin Powers to change the subject from 'Volo Rumour' to 'Volo Cask Days Rumour', to make sure no-one else has a mini heart attack. :wink:

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

For the love of God, don't post a title like that! I immediately thought that Volo would be closing or changing hands!
I read it first thing in the morning (5am) and I didn't want to open up the post. I too thought that it was going to be about a possible change. Thank god it wasn't.

As for the relocation of Cask Days, as TorontoBlue mentions, Ralph has been toying with the idea for two years now but has said he loves hosting it at Volo because of its initimate atmosphere.

denguy

Post by denguy »

Um... the title is "Volo Cask Days Rumour" not "Bar Volo Rumour".

Besides, this was a more serious idea this time. There were too many left-overs this year and the tight space is a tad limiting.
I'm telling ya, he's going to move it next year.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

denguy wrote:Um... the title is "Volo Cask Days Rumour" not "Bar Volo Rumour".

Besides, this was a more serious idea this time. There were too many left-overs this year and the tight space is a tad limiting.
I'm telling ya, he's going to move it next year.
:roll: Way to read the whole thread. (Hint: GregClow's post)

denguy

Post by denguy »

Okay, fine!
I had like 6 666's that night as my local now has it on tap. I was typing with my beer gloves on.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Just giving you a hard time :) No worries.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Hee-hee, he's arguing about his own post. This board just gets better & better :P

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Ralph is in England at present learning more about the great British brewing tradition first hand. Ralph would tell you at length about the pros and cons of this event moving to a different venue. He always seems to end up deciding Volo is the place it should stay. Perhaps you should give us some idea of the source of this "rumor" or are you simply speculating on your own hunch?

IMHO a different venue implies a larger one. Therefore it would mean an expansion of the event...not necessarily it terms of beer variety but rather in terms of patron quantity. I'm really not keen for the event to get bigger since each year it's felt like our own private jewel that I'm really not keen to share with Joe Sixpack. Bigger events mean greater need for revenue which means more marketing and, all too often, lowering the bar somewhat in terms of quality. I'll use the Buffalo Brewfest as an example...from all accounts a shadow of the glory it was in its first few years.

No, until the event sells out entirely for all sessions I don't feel there's a need to grow it by switching venues...and even then perhaps it should remain small and intimate. But ultimately that'll be up to Ralph. We'll see.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

IMHO a different venue implies a larger one. Therefore it would mean an expansion of the event...not necessarily it terms of beer variety but rather in terms of patron quantity. I'm really not keen for the event to get bigger since each year it's felt like our own private jewel that I'm really not keen to share with Joe Sixpack. Bigger events mean greater need for revenue which means more marketing and, all too often, lowering the bar somewhat in terms of quality. I'll use the Buffalo Brewfest as an example...from all accounts a shadow of the glory it was in its first few years.

No, until the event sells out entirely for all sessions I don't feel there's a need to grow it by switching venues...and even then perhaps it should remain small and intimate. But ultimately that'll be up to Ralph. We'll see.
I disagree with this for 2 reasons:

1. If growing this events means more revenue for Ralph, then we should support that wholeheartedly. (Naturally, there may be a dip in quality, but I'm certain that he will make every effort to keep it to a minimum)

2. Bigger events equals increased craft beer awareness. Unless I have completely misunderstood, increased craft beer awareness amongst the public at large is a win win. No?

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Jon Walker wrote:No, until the event sells out entirely for all sessions I don't feel there's a need to grow it by switching venues...and even then perhaps it should remain small and intimate. But ultimately that'll be up to Ralph. We'll see.
It was awfully close to a sell-out this year. I think the bulk of the unsold tickets were for the friday afternoon session, which is un surprising, since most people would have been at work. To get tickets for the most popular session, people had to line up more than an hour in advance.

-Josh

denguy

Post by denguy »

Jon Walker wrote:IMHO a different venue implies a larger one. Therefore it would mean an expansion of the event...not necessarily it terms of beer variety but rather in terms of patron quantity. I'm really not keen for the event to get bigger since each year it's felt like our own private jewel that I'm really not keen to share with Joe Sixpack. Bigger events mean greater need for revenue which means more marketing and, all too often, lowering the bar somewhat in terms of quality. I'll use the Buffalo Brewfest as an example...from all accounts a shadow of the glory it was in its first few years.
Holy shit, John, maybe Ralph should just move this event to your house?

denguy

Post by denguy »

Jon Walker wrote:No, until the event sells out entirely for all sessions I don't feel there's a need to grow it by switching venues...and even then perhaps it should remain small and intimate. But ultimately that'll be up to Ralph. We'll see.
Well, I'm sure glad you don't run the event!