Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Samichlaus...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Samichlaus...

Post by Bobsy »

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

sick (the good sick)

thanks for the heads up Bobsy.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Good news and I am glad the LCBO is not afraid to bring in some more heavier ABV beers, but this beer is just way to damn boozey and sweet for me.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Awesome news! Can't wait to try it! Assuming it'll actually hit KW :-? .

Is this product replacing the Dopplebock Dunkel from the same brewer in the Winter Ales release?

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

JesseM wrote:Awesome news! Can't wait to try it! Assuming it'll actually hit KW :-? .

Is this product replacing the Dopplebock Dunkel from the same brewer in the Winter Ales release?
no. both are coming in.

Magni

Post by Magni »

Had it last night, it weighs in at 11.4abv or something like that.
Worth picking up one. I repeat. ONE.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

That's the problem commercially with extra-strong 'cult' beers - everybody wants to try one - just one - and they have a very specific appeal. For all the importer's efforts bringing these kinds of beers in, a few drinkers WILL buy a lot of a high-ABV beer to keep & savor over the years - I just can't imagine that's huge numbers of buyers doing that.

Luckily the Eggenberg Doppelbock is more 'commercial' in the repeat-business sense so it can't hurt the brewery if they ship the one beer together along with the other. That's exactly why I had predicted the (attempted) Brooklyn Chocolate coming here when Brroklyn's Lager arrived here last year. It can piggy-back the regular product line.

The Trafalgar has similar "limited repeatability" which is likely part of why each 200ml beer costs 3.75 - rarely will people buy such a beer twice (ie. the extreme ABV.) Very limited-volume sales.
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

does anyone know if there is goin to be futhur distrobution of this? id love to get some but there isnt anything anywhere near me.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

A few months ago, the Bushwakker had Samichlaus as their Import Daily Special. It was quite humorous to me as I watched a bunch of schmoes drinking it straight out of the bottle (despite being served glassware)... some of them would scrunch their face up on the first gulp, then shake it off and keep givin 'er.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

The Eisbock is quite good, the Urbock is alright, but I can't say I was fond of these two...

My review from a few years ago (a solid 3):
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/285/776/?ba=Derek

Bottled in 2004.

By definition, the dopplebock only goes to 9%, and this is nothing like other Dopplebocks. Closer to an Eisbock... but obviously brewed differently. More of a high-end malt liqour! Also, it's Austrian... the Germans haven't occupied them for quite some time.

I think this should definitely be a "Euro Strong Lager".
Difficult to compare within style.

A: Copper in colour, very clear. Poors with a little head, but it quickly dissipates, without leaving any lace.

S: Malty, sherry-like, sweet candy. Unlike anything else.

T: Alcohol is quite assertive. Some sweet, caramel-like flavour. It's like candy (like artificial, strawberry cotton-candy), with LOTS of alcohol. Truly unique, but it'd be a little more pleasurable if it was a little less harsh.

<Ralph Wiggum Voice> It tastes like burning! </Ralph Wiggum Voice>

M: Moderate body, light carbonation, dry finish.

D: Approachable, but its strength is inhibitive.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 12-29-2005 06:39:37

BTW, I gave the dunkel a 2.9.

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

matt7215 wrote:does anyone know if there is goin to be futhur distrobution of this? id love to get some but there isnt anything anywhere near me.
What's currently allocated to stores is a portion of the shipment. We expect that additional locations will receive at least a case or two. Matt, if you contact us with further details, we will do our best to ensure your store gets some.
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Roland + Russell wrote:
matt7215 wrote:does anyone know if there is goin to be futhur distrobution of this? id love to get some but there isnt anything anywhere near me.
What's currently allocated to stores is a portion of the shipment. We expect that additional locations will receive at least a case or two. Matt, if you contact us with further details, we will do our best to ensure your store gets some.
So does that mean its now on the general list, or is this a one-off event? Congrats either way on getting another beer into the LCBO!

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Bobsy wrote:
Roland + Russell wrote:
So does that mean its now on the general list, or is this a one-off event? Congrats either way on getting another beer into the LCBO!
Thank you Bobsy, and a big thanks to everyone who has supported this brewery through private ordering and previous releases as well!

The Samichlaus is being released under the seasonal (Winter Warmers '08) promotion, but we're hoping to see it again next winter if the sales prove to be strong.

We're glad to see it back for personal reasons as well since our family and friends are getting addicted to Samichlaus braised venison dishes. If you can't find venison, grass fed beef is a good subsitute.

Eggenberger's Doppelbock Dunkel is part of the same release and Urbock 23 is returning as a spring release.
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek, I agree with your overall review, but I think this beer needs several years of aging before it will soften and be "drinkable." I grabbed some in Alberta earlier this year, and I have no plans to drink them anytime soon.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Roland + Russell wrote:We're glad to see it back for personal reasons as well since our family and friends are getting addicted to Samichlaus braised venison dishes. If you can't find venison, grass fed beef is a good subsitute.
Excellent tip! We get venison every year, and I find that it really needs a braise because of the gaminess. I wasn't a huge fan of samichlaus fresh, but I do think it has awesome aging potential, so I'll be picking up a half dozen. Heck.... it may even help get me through a family Christmas. :wink: