Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Jim Brickman leaves Brick Brewing

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Jim Brickman leaves Brick Brewing

Post by GregClow »

The following announcement appears tacked on to the end of a press release issued today regarding Brick's 3rd quarter financial results:

-----

The Company also announced today that Executive Chairman and Founder Jim
Brickman has provided his notice of retirement to the Company which the
Company has accepted effective immediately.

The Company, founded by Jim Brickman in 1984, was the first craft brewery
to start up in Ontario, and is credited with pioneering the present day craft
brewing renaissance in Canada. Jim Brickman has been Executive Chairman of the
Company since May 2004, prior to which he was President and Chief Executive
Officer of the Company from February 1984 to May 2004.

"The Company appreciates the significant contribution Jim Brickman has
made to Brick Brewing since founding it in 1984," said Croft. "His hard work
and dedication has helped build the foundation for the Company's future,"
added Croft. The Company's Board of Directors and management wish him well in
his future endeavours.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Interesting. Wonder if he was pushed out or chose to leave/retire? Not to be all fatalist but I'm hoping he left for the right reasons. Although I'm not a fan of most of the Brick lineup I certainly recognize his accomplishments in pursuit of good beer and a viable brewing business that started in an era where micros largely didn't exist, or last, in this province.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I could be wrong, but "effective immediately" doesn't really suggest a completely voluntary departure to me.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Jim had health issues dogging him for a long time and retirement was long over due before he was shanghied by the public company board to stay on.

I wish him a happy and healthy retirement, he certainly earned it and he will probably be under appreciated as a pioneer of the province's local micro brewing industry.
Aventinus rules!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Thanks for the input, pootz. Here's hoping Jim's contributions are not forgotten. Regardless of what people might think of Brick's current line-up, there's no denying the important role Jim and the brewery played in developing Canada's craft beer industry.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

pootz wrote:Jim had health issues dogging him for a long time and retirement was long over due before he was shanghied by the public company board to stay on.

I wish him a happy and healthy retirement, he certainly earned it and he will probably be under appreciated as a pioneer of the province's local micro brewing industry.
Im sorry to hear about Jim's health and I wish him nothing but the best! Say what you will about the Brick's current line-up but if you avoid the Laker (which Im assuming and hoping we all do) Brick doesnt make a bad beer. Brick has often been a flavourful standby in a macro dominated market and Im sad to see Jim step aside for any reason. I hope we can all toast to Jim as a pioneer in this province and thank him for helping Ontario craft brewing what it is today.

cheers! :D

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Article in the local paper this morning about this, still no quotes from Brickman yet:

http://news.therecord.com/News/CanadaWo ... cle/457716

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

I will raise my glass today to Jim's happy and healthy retirement. Of the principals involved in the early days of Ontario craft brewing, Jim always struck me as being the most openly passionate about beer. He said that he opened Brick because he had "a drinking problem," meaning there was no beer on the market he wanted to drink, and he meant it sincerely!

One of the finest beers ever brewed in Ontario in modern times was a mid to late 1990's edition of the Brick Anniversary Bock -- I think it might have been 1997 -- and one of our finest lagers was the Brick-brewed Andechs Spezial Hell. The brewery should produce a Jim Brickman Commemorative Edition of one of these fine achievements.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I suspect the Brick brews were a gateway to craft for many people.

In addition to paving the way for the future, they kept Formosa springs going & also brought back Conners. And lets not forget the return of the stubby & their battles with TBS. (I think the compact packaging of the stubby is superior).

Unfortunately I never tried the Anniversary Bock, so I'd LOVE to see that one return. But do they still have the rights to produce the Andechs brew?

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

But do they still have the rights to produce the Andechs brew?
I doubt it. A few years back, the brewery was going to introduce draught Andechs in both Ontario and the U.S., even going so far as to have a launch event in Denver during the GABF. But for whatever reason, that never materialized, so I imagine the monks would have by now rescinded the rights. But that's just speculation, of course.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Hoppy wishes to Jim for his retirement.

Speaking of the Helles,
My cousine in Hohenschäftlarn lives 25 minutes away from Kloster Andechs. Yet I've only had Helles in Munich.

Next time I'll have to visit the cloister and the Starnberg See (nearby lake.)
In Beerum Veritas

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Kudos and good luck to Jim.

Brick was definitely my gateway. Back in the days as a poor student, Red Baron and the other overlooked Ontario brewery of the time, Northern, were the two options for something that tasted like real beer and we could afford. Formosa kept a decent beer alive for the budget sessions. Although I lamented the passing of Don Valley's Connors Imperial Stout, at least Brick kept the pretty decent Bitter alive too.

I hope Jim takes the bait and uses the 'occasional cooperation' excuse to exploit the brew house and do a few experimental brews from time to time. I bet we would be in for some nice surprises.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I've always had a soft spot for Waterloo Dark, which was my Thursday night beer in university as we found it at a Bloor St. spot for about $6 a pitcher.

I always respected Brick for doing interesting things - Andechs as already mentioned, and the relationships with Sam Adams and Celis. Looking back I guess they amounted to false starts, but they were trying.

Loved that old wax capped Brick Bock too.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Tapsucker wrote:Although I lamented the passing of Don Valley's Connors Imperial Stout, at least Brick kept the pretty decent Bitter alive too.
I didn't even know there was the intermediate Don Valley Brewing Company. Any idea where it was located in Don Mills?

Initially I thought it'd be odd to have a brewery around here... but realestate is cheaper (that's why I'm here), it's close to the DVP (quick to get downtown outside of rush hour) and it's close to the 401 (for further distribution).

Someone should open another brewery around here. :D

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Derek wrote:Someone should open another brewery around here. :D
You homebrew... you live in a prime location... sounds like you're already halfway there! Keep us up to date on your progress! :wink: