Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9390
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Postby Belgian » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:45 pm

Domaine Mouréou Madiran 2014

Inky dark wine with brambly and pure dark fruit aromas. The cork and back label indicate this is a Laplace wine (this one and Chateau Addie produce a lot of the Madiran reds we see here.)

Pretty good Madiran, this time with a full 70% Tannat and the other 30% unspecified blend of Cabernets. This 2014 needs some air to breathe it. Has a good tight solid structure, an herbal personality over the powerful black fruit especially in the taste. Mineral and great depth. Not the cassis-blackberry jam and toasty oak of the Bouscasse, quite different. If you can manage the herbal and brambly qualities along with the acidity and firm tannins, this is an Interesting wine now and could yield still greater cellar results later.

This may be a good time as any to stock up on Madiran wines that stand at the level of Bordeaux about twice the price. One of my favourite AOCs.
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9390
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Nebbiolo from Piedmont Italy.

Postby Belgian » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Giacosa Scarrone Vigna Mandorlo Barolo 2010

I wanted to snag a decent Barolo and I was not disappointed. Garnet red look. Fairly dry tannins as a solid Nebbiolo-grape wine, yet approachable with dense dark cherry-berry fruit and acidity. Tobacco and herbs and and some meaty umami notes that really carry long over the fruit and the dry-acid structure. A really elegant powerful wine. Has a lot going on.
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9390
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Castillon Bordeaux

Postby Belgian » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:35 pm

Château Hyot 2014 Castillon Cotes de Bordeaux

Garnet colour. Has great cherry-berry and tart cassis fruit and acidity, some nice light cedar sauna and woody herbal-spicy tones and mineral. Good medium body and dryness with an elegant poised and warm finish. (Note to self: never sip wines while snacking on delicious RainCoast sardines, it makes the glass smell weird.) This classic style red Bordeaux is not a total powerhouse, but is a very fair deal.
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9390
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Languedoc charmer less $

Postby Belgian » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:03 pm

Château L'Hospitalet La Clape Réserve Rouge 2014

Nice deep dark pour. Grenache Syrah Mourvèdre blend that was reduced substantially from its price pushing near thirty dollars. Offers value, solid structure and powerful fruit. Shows off some garrigue and rooty herbals among the deep black berry and black plum skin. Forest floor humus and violet petal florals. Unusually round and full in structure rather than dry or very acidic and yet it is not heavily sweet. And there's some Syrah-like chocolate on the finish. Worth snagging one for the 22 or so bucks I paid.
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9390
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

L-M 2015 Bordeaux

Postby Belgian » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:18 pm

Château de Lafaurie-Monbadon 2015 Baron de Montfort

This begins with oak over the dark fruit, aged oak. The gradual bloom of dark appealing fruit is very classy., touch vanilla and spice. Has some good acidic frame and tannic grip yet already very drinkable. Classic structure. Cassis and cherries plus herbs and some cedar and mineral, very well turned out Bordeaux from what I guess is a successful vintage year. Grab a few,
In Beerum Veritas

Return to “Random Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

cron