Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve - Wife got this for me for my birthday last month, and is it ever a lovely dram, very smooth, vanilla butter with a hint of smoke, but I can't help but wonder what it would be like at cask strength
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ "...cask strength" - I had no idea most bottled whiskeys were watered down to 40 per cent from an original 60-65% out of the cask! Read something new every day, thanks internet...

Though it seems surprisingly arbitrary that the exact ABV target (for regulations) should take priority over the ideal water content / ABV that would provide the optimal finished result.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Belgian wrote:^ "...cask strength" - I had no idea most bottled whiskeys were watered down to 40 per cent from an original 60-65% out of the cask! Read something new every day, thanks internet...

Though it seems surprisingly arbitrary that the exact ABV target (for regulations) should take priority over the ideal water content / ABV that would provide the optimal finished result.
I don't think it's a regulations thing. You can get cask strength Scotch all over the place.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ Good there's Cask Strength in Ontario - I had read many countries are either max 40% -or- min 40%, which makes this dilution convenient for international product.

2009 Dufouleur RULLY - nice solid summery Pinot Noir, pretty aromatics, some tart cherry. Okay Burgundy for the price. With some grilled Toulouse sausage from Sanigans in TKM.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JC Vizcarra 2010 a Tempranillo from Spain (Temp is the dominant 'noble' grape of the famed Rioja region and wine) - this is interesting, it hits me as both structured and round like an easy-going Bordeaux (w/spice notes, vanilla) but has added residual fruity sweetness like a young Moulin-A-Vent. Can't say it's my favorite style of wine I'd re-buy for 30.95 personally but it's a very good wine I am glad to try once. Yeah... it's a bit fruity, dense and young, so if you like "new world"-ish wines with a little balancing dryness/acidity this one might really grab you.

With a gas grill-seared strip loin from The Chopping Block, Queen and Beach. Know what even a great cut of beef is nice with a dab of Kozlik's Dijon on the side, not to overwhelm it but just a hint to accent the fatty, sanguine flavors.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

When I drink reds from Spain, which is incresingly common, I tend to gravitate to 20-25 dollar bottles of 04 or 05 Rioja. Sometimes I think I should try something else from Spain, but those were good years and there doesn't seem to be a price break for going young, so I can never bring myself to do it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

CASCINA DARDI BUSSIA BAROLO 2007 not an exceptional Nebbiolo IMLE but has some structure, fruit and rusticity. I want to try some of the Ascheri wines from Piedmont including the Barolos and the (typically gratifying for the price) Barbera D'Asti.

With grilled Toulouse sausage from The Meat Dept. Salud!
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

^^^I had a beautiful Barbera d'Asti down in Vegas at a great italian restaurant. I wish I could remember the name because the price-point on it was fantastic value. Went really well with Lambs tongue salad and smoked sweat breads.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:^^^I had a beautiful Barbera d'Asti down in Vegas at a great italian restaurant. I wish I could remember the name because the price-point on it was fantastic value. Went really well with Lambs tongue salad and smoked sweet breads.
^ That's pretty f-cking Hannibal Lechter, are you messing with me? :lol:
I would try those foods in a heart beat. With a nice Chianti - *thupthupthup*

And Barbera IS a pretty amazing grape for the price, usually from near Asti or Alba ('Piedmont' section in a real wine store like Premier.)

Barbera is for me somehow better than cheap and cheerful stuff like Sangiovese, Valpolicella and Primitivo, it's a notch above but not always much more expensive (OK Farnese is pretty inexpensive and some are OK.) There's a sweet spot for value that is rare, my first one was a Barbera del Monferrato, happened to be a great one on sale. I have to re-investigate these...
In Beerum Veritas

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

http://whiskeydetectives.blogspot.ca/20 ... urbon.html

Whiskey Detectives enjoyed this little experiment from New Holland Artisan Spirits. For us, the more playing around and discovering new methods of distilling or aging and thus more flavors, the better. This full-flavored and syrupy sweet bourbon might not be for everyone, but we found it to be delicious. We might not imbibe it straight again and again, but Whiskey Detectives could see ourselves wrapping up a great meal with Beer Barrel Bourbon as the desert. Definitely worth a try for bourbon fans and those who may not think they can drink bourbon neat, as the sweetness and smoothness make this a very accessible spirit.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:2012 Latour Pinot Noir Bourgogne - a decent-value, archetypal Burgundy...
^ Now two dollars more. Used most of a bottle in a Beef Bourgogne, it's not bad!! But for the next one I'm looking out for a cheaper Burgundy- or Rhône-style red to cook with.

Oh here's one...Leyda Reserva from Chilé. And even a bit of a sale, such as it is...
^^^ update, I find this Pinot to be undeveloped and flabby-sweet, I prefer Cono Sur Pinot to this.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm definitely going to pick up one or two of these:

http://foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/pr ... ber=976662

As much as we can all agree that scores aren't the be-all end-all, getting a 100 and wine of the year is pretty impressive at that price point.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:I'm definitely going to pick up one or two of these:

As much as we can all agree that scores aren't the be-all end-all, getting a 100 and wine of the year is pretty impressive at that price point.
Right you can't taste numbers nearly as much as you can palate preferences. But if it's ever in stock I'd get one, maybe... constant research!
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Belgian wrote:
Craig wrote:I'm definitely going to pick up one or two of these:

Right you can't taste numbers nearly as much as you can palate preferences. But if it's ever in stock I'd get one, maybe... constant research!
I only noticed it in the last LCBO mailing because it was a style/region I always look out for. The number just makes me a little more interested than I already was.

Besides, if the hype tricks me into enjoying it more, I'm still enjoying it, aren't I?