Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

High Park

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Blankboy

High Park

Post by Blankboy »

Anywhere good to drink there? I read 10 pages of this folder, bringing me to almost 2005, and found no mention of anywhere in that area that's decent. One good beer on tap is all I'm looking for.....anything?
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

It's been a long while, but you could try the Yellow Griffin.

http://www.yellowgriffinpub.com/

Not sure if there's been decent beer out there since the Rebel closed.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Well, you have to count Bloor West Village as High Park Paul, and then you can find a few things:

Dr. Generosity - used to be the rebel chophouse. Only a few decent taps remain but last time I was there, Black Oak was represented...

Yellow Griffin: Again, Black Oak, possibly Tankhouse

A Dark Horse: Usually a Fullers tap and possibly a Mill St tap

And of course if you go east of high park you know about Whelan's - they had a Mill St and a St Ambroise Tap last time I was there.

Not much else I'm afraid, but it has been a few years since I lived in the area.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Here's a brief old thread talking about a few of the places mentioned:

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2199

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Thanks guys. Bloor West Village is where I'm referring to. Dr. Generosity looks good, they have several good beers listed, but unfortunately they close at 10:30 on Friday nights so that's out.

Yellow Griffin may be an option bu they list no beer on their website which isn't helpful.

A Dark Horse I will avoid after reading this: http://www.bloorwest.info/ratings/merchants.asp?v=591

and this:
http://www.restaurantica.com/on/toronto ... /23018049/

Looks like I'm shit out of luck.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Looks like I'll have to go to the Swan & Firkin for Creemore. :cry:

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I enjoyed the Dark Horse the few times I have been there but it was just okay. Mackenzies by High Park station has decent food, but the tap list is lacking. Had some Wellington stuff in bottles for a while, not sure if they still do.

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

JerCraigs wrote:I enjoyed the Dark Horse the few times I have been there but it was just okay. Mackenzies by High Park station has decent food, but the tap list is lacking. Had some Wellington stuff in bottles for a while, not sure if they still do.
They haven't had Welly the past few times i have stumbled next door for dinner. Really a bit of a black hole neighbourhood with Doc's being less pubby and the Griffen not having a great beer list outside Black Oak normally. Its kinda surprising that given how expensive a neighbourhood it is, there isn't a place with higher end beers to try and tap peoples wallets on that count.
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

At the west end of the village is Bryden's.

http://brydens.ca/home/index.php

They used to have a Great Lakes Tap and a Niagara Falls Brewing Tap as well. Have not been in a long time.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

I still like A Dark House, poor reviews aside. I've usually had good service and typically have a Mill St. Tankhouse or Fullers ESB. Forgot about Brydens...beer selection more mainstream, but has neat vibe (and shares a kitchen with Classico). Dr. G's is good, especially if you have children, but still want a decent beer on tap!

bostonfox

Post by bostonfox »

I was told about this thread from one of our guests...

I am associated with Bryden's and often read these threads as they are very informative...I usually don't post but feel I must due to some inaccuracies from a previous poster...

Bryden's does not and has never been involved with Classico's...we are very proud of our food and absolutely do not share a kitchen with Classico's...

Thanks for the comment in regardes to having a neat vibe...I agree!!

As for having a mainstream tap list we feel we have an interesting selection...we usually carry Mill Street(Tank & Organic), Great Lakes(Shoe & Leaf), a seasonal tap(Orange Peel, Winter Ale to name a few), Koningshoeven(currently the Dubbel), Creemore, SteamWhistle & we are about to put Wellington on...

I agree it is hard to find interesting beers on tap in the BWV usually just mainstrean/mass-market beers in the area...hopefully we can help to change that...We are contemplating putting a Cask Conditioned beer on later this year...but one step at a time...

see you soon...

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

bostonfox wrote:Bryden's does not and has never been involved with Classico's...we are very proud of our food and absolutely do not share a kitchen with Classico's...
Thanks for the clarification and update on the tap list. Nice to know there a few more good beer options.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

That is good news about Bryden's, thanks for the info.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I was at Dark Horse recently after many years. I was totally unimpressed by how bad the service was. Dog slow and it was far from busy.
Also the attitude... I don't even put up with that crap at C'est What and their beer list is miles better!

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

I made it out to Bryden's last week and I can confirm that if your looking for a fresh pint of a solid craft beer way out in the west end, Bryden's will do you good: http://greatcanadianpubs.blogspot.com/2 ... to-on.html