Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mr. Harry

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Steve Beaumont

Mr. Harry

Post by Steve Beaumont »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but then again, I just found it at beerbistro last night and I'm supposed to know what goes on there...

Anyway, Mr. Harry is a fascinating winter seasonal from Fuller's, and a very enjoyable ale at that. Lots of fruit and nuts up front, but with a very dry and moderately bitter -- quite bitter for a Fullers brand, actually -- finish. Satisfying and yet, at the same time, curiously appetizing. I forget what a pint is going for, but it's certainly worth a try.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Unlike Steve, I found it to be very English. Very malt forward yet balanced. The reason I'm staying away from it is the 6.5% abv that hit me like a hammer. The Fullers website said 4.8% abv so I wasn't expecting the blast at 6.5. Nice beer though.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Where did I say I didn't find it to be quite English, Rob? We're saying the same thing two different ways: malt up front, good balance, bitterness in the finish (although that's my observation, not yours, but very much to the English tradition).

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Any idea how long this will be around for? Also is BeerBistro one of the places extending Winterlicious?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JerCraigs wrote:Also is BeerBistro one of the places extending Winterlicious?
Yes.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

The Kiwi perlioned 5 kegs from Premier Brands for as long as it lasts. There is an ex-pat community at the Kiwi that is pounding it heavily at present so I don't think that will be long. I'm glad because they normally drink the Plowman's and the Mill Race Mild. The Curmudgeon IPA will be on tap for a brief period at the Kiwi starting either this weekend or early next week.

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

I stopped in with some friends tonight and enjoyed it and the Curmudgeon. The Mr. Harry had a really nice maltyness, very well balanced. I don't know. I'm not very good at describing beer... better at enjoying it. :) Glad my first taste of the IPA was on tap at the Kiwi, since I met the Curmedgeon before I tasted the beer (the pic on the bottle is the (I'm assuming) owner of the kiwi). Very good. Happy I bought a case or two :)
Mat

9tjr1

Post by 9tjr1 »

Had it on tap last Saturday at Volo.

Really, really enjoyable. Initially there was a lot of fruit/nutiness and surprisingly hoppy. But as it sat, it began to slowly mellow out and was actually quite balanced. Somewhere between an ESB and an Old Ale.

This and the Compass Starlight Ale (by recommendation at the Vic Cafe) were my two discoveries last weekend.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

The Harry rocks. Nice sweet caramel maltiness in the front, very fruity as it warms searing bitterness in the finish that lingers. 4 of these slid down with ease and my companions didn't notice any slurred speech 8)
Last edited by pootz on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Will give it another try if I see it!
In Beerum Veritas

Sancus

Post by Sancus »

GregClow wrote:
Yes.
I was at BeerBistro on Monday for lunch and was told that they were not extending Winterlicious, heh.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Sancus wrote:
GregClow wrote:
Yes.
I was at BeerBistro on Monday for lunch and was told that they were not extending Winterlicious, heh.
Huh. According to the official Winterlicious website, they were supposed to be one of the restaurants that were extending. Ah well.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Brian Morin's food is aready 'licious... ALL winter.
In Beerum Veritas

King Edward

Post by King Edward »

For those not in the GTA we have a keg of Mr Harry on right now at The King Edward. It's very much a traditional British winter warmer, not a session ale for sure! It's a big beer, and should make a splendid appetiser for the Curmudgeon IPA cask that we'll be tapping later in the week.
www.thekingedward.com
Real food, real beer, real friendly!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Had it last night at Beerbistro.

FYI, BB is running a promo of their own - every night at least one table will get their bill comped. I believe it's called the "Beerbistro Bailout". :-)