Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkey

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Well not only is this an amazing beer for this province, the artwork is phenomenal. I can see it flying off the shelves based on people being so intrigued by the design alone.

I scanned the sides of one of the six bottle pack

"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

That is cool packaging.

Since I was the one that brought it up when we first started chatting about it, I'll post the other hopitcal illusion I know of here for comparison sake:

I'm not slagging Fly Monkey's here, as I do enjoy their new product (and cleaned up versions of their old ones) but what would happen if an importer decided to bring in the other beer? Those colour schemes are pretty damn similar (in my eyes anyway).

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Similar, yes, but more just equally and outrageously colourful, which has the effect of muting the stylistic differences.

I like it. Interesting packaging. In Ontario. I can't believe it.

Yeah, the name's the same, but so what? It's unlikely that the Blue Point beer will ever be available here. If it is, I guess it'll have to be called Blue Point Hopvar or something.
Here's to the slow path.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Add me to the chorus of approval. I think we really fall down on packaging in this province, so this is like a breath of fresh air.

TJ

Post by TJ »

They certainly share a familiar design aesthetic...but so what? It looks fantastic and, frankly, I think having two beers called Hoptical Illusion with similar packaging enter the Ontario market would be a good problem to have.

There's so much staid, uninspired, traditional (and in a few cases, kind of awful) packaging coming from Ontario craft brewers it's hardly surprising the average beer drinker doesn't stand up and take notice. This, on the other hand, I'm quite sure will get people curious enough to try the beer and, hopefully, acquire a taste for hops in the process.

Come to think of it, the last time I was inspired to try a beer I knew next to nothing about was when Anti-Gravity Light hit the shelves. That also had a fun and eye-catching design.

Anyway, I'm excited about this beer and I hope it tastes as good in a bottle as it did at the C'est What spring festival.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Thanks for the feedback my fellow beer disciples. I just checked on the LCBO website and it looks like Hoptical is starting to get shipped to stores. Hurray! I can pay the babysitter.

FYI - I'm brewing two days this week then heading to Chicago with the family to enjoy some Goose Island, Three Flyods, and green my bro-in-law has waiting for me when I arrive. I hope to come back inspired!

Yours in brewing,

Peter

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Excellent - I hope you get some fantastic sales out of this Peter, any chance of the Netherworld showing up this fall as a seasonal?

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Ah...Netherworld......(the working name).....It is still in the development stage although Ice, I hope you enjoyed the roast in batch#1. I plan on having it available by Christmas. Still working on a couple of other ideas as well. Cheers, Peter!

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Guys, I was just posting it because I found the similarities interesting. I applaud Flying monkeys for their creativity and for developing a tasty new product and I hope it does really well - I suspect it will.

The Great Gatsby

Post by The Great Gatsby »

Hey Peter, I tried Hoptical Illusion at C'Est What earlier tonight and absolutely loved it. I'm looking forward to doing a full review once it is available at the LCBO.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I'm looking forward to this too, but still nothing on the 'BO web site. Has anyone seen it? Would love some for the long weekend.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I got my case up at the brewery. LCBO site is showing prices but no stores yet.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... ber=132670

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

I had it again last night at the Hart House event, it wasn't bad.

Jeff - good point re the two packagings.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Yes – I think the LCBO stores should have some in stock by Monday or Tuesday next week - apparently the first load is in transit from the warehouse to the stores.

FYI--I am still working on the recipe so while I don't care if folks rate beer the beer, the reality is that I'm still changing things which may take 6 months to lock in. You may or may not want to rate the finished piece of art. I’ll let you all know when I have dialled in on my intent. I still enjoy comments in between as well.The hard part as a small brewer is that we still need to sell the batches in between. I just say enjoy the ride!

Yours in brewing,
Peter
Toilet Paper Replenishing Officer
Flying Monkeys

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Picked up 6 at the Liberty Village LCBO today. It's listed as being in stock at Brock St. and Hanna St., and since I was going to the farmer's market in LV, I popped into that 'BO. I was worried at first, because it was nowhere to be found in the beer section, but I eventually discovered a big display of it right in front of the checkout. Cool packaging, and certainly a bold step for the Ontario market. I think this will sell loads on the packaging alone, and hopefully start turning people on to the really nice beer inside. I'm looking forward to following the evolution of this beer - I wasn't crazy about it at the C'est What Spring Fest, but I quite enjoyed it a few weeks back when I had a pint of it there. Could have been the sample size, or could have been that the beer has gotten better. I think it's the latter. Anyway, if you wanna grab some for the holiday tomorrow, and you're close to Parkdale/LV, you've got four hours - GO!
Last edited by velovampire on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.