Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes Project X - 2nd Thurs of each month

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

Not flavored Horseshoe. A pilot brewed American wheat ale.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Lackey wrote:Not flavored Horseshoe. A pilot brewed American wheat ale.
Ahh! I didn't think it had the hop profile of the GH. Thanks Mike.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I'm sincerely hoping that Vanilla Ice was a collaboration. I will stop and listen for your answer on this.
saintjohnswort.ca

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

saints_gambit wrote:I'm sincerely hoping that Vanilla Ice was a collaboration. I will stop and listen for your answer on this.
Haha. Nope. Why the hope?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Lackey wrote:
saints_gambit wrote:I'm sincerely hoping that Vanilla Ice was a collaboration. I will stop and listen for your answer on this.
Haha. Nope. Why the hope?
Cause Jordan is cooking MC's like a pound of bacon.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Today's newsletter from Great Lakes mentioned that there will be no Project X night in June, mainly due to there being so much going on during OCB Week later in the month.

AlanB

Post by AlanB »

GLB's July newsletter mentions that they will be BBQing on the front lawn for July's Project X. (Thurs July 14, 6:30-8:30 pm). No indication of what will be on tap yet.
Too many beers, too little time...

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Info on this week's Project X from latest Great Lakes newsletter...

This month's Project X will be held on Thursday August 11th. We'll be chillin south beach style as we oficially launch Miami Weisse and our good friends at Cafe du Lac on Lakeshore will be helping us maintain the Miami theme by providing southern style food. Oh yeah, there may be a bunch of left over casks from Caskapalooza the we'll need help draining as well...

Sil

Post by Sil »

For those who haven't tried Cafe du Lac, they are one of the better bistros in the neighborhood. I know they're doing some marinated chicken thighs and a black bean/corn salad. Definitely worth going this month.

(we'll be there, as usual, with bells on)

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

From the latest GL newsletter:

Project X

There will be no Project X in the month of September.

Instead we invite you to join us for our 2nd annual Harvest Fest.

Great Lakes 2nd Annual Harvest Fest

We are excited to be gearing up for our 2nd annual Harvest Fest! This year will be tastier and more festive than ever and we'll be rolling out some exclusive one-off casks as well as tasty seasonal fare, live music and entertainment! Please join us on September 24th at the brewery between 12-4.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

From the latest GL newsletter:

Project X

This month's Project X is on October 13 and will be held at the brewery. We are pleased to have Dr. Generosity providing the food this time and we've got a few tricks up our sleeves for this one so don't miss out!

AlanB

Post by AlanB »

GLB has moved their Project X cask night (2nd Thursday of each month) to the Rhino for "Movember". From their Facebook page:

---------------

Thursday, November 10 · 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Rhino Bar & Grill Inc
1249 Queen St W
Toronto, Ontario

Join us for Project X Movember @ The Rhino! We'll have a bunch of one-off cask & draft beers as well as some tasty eats to pair from their kitchen. Admission is $15 with $5 going to Movember."
Too many beers, too little time...

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'll be there with whatever bit of a Mo I've grown
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Excellent event, my first of the series or at Rhino. The GL porter, an impressive 7% ABV, was the best beer IMO. Clean rich traditional taste. I'd put out that one as a permanent amongst all I tried and it proves IMO that really good porter does not need coffee, chocolate or fruit additions.

The cask beer was an IPA or pale ale (forgive me for not remembering) made with fresh-tasting APA hopping. However, as is my wont, I blended it with the porter about 1:5 as I wanted to emulate an 1800's English porter which by that time often included a bit of U.S. hop. It worked extremely well.

The Jack Daniels barrel-aged beer was well-done but you have to like the keynote vanilla taste the barrel imparts and it's not my favourite. Never got to the black wit style, and missed a couple of others unfortunately since I stuck to the porter. (If you find something you really like at such events, experience tells me it's better to stick with it rather than try too many things).

Good to see Sammy, Doug, Ralph and meet some new people. Plus, I ran into Cass on the way over there!
Gary Gillman

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

G.M. Gillman wrote: The cask beer was an IPA or pale ale (forgive me for not remembering) made with fresh-tasting APA hopping. However, as is my wont, I blended it with the porter about 1:5 as I wanted to emulate an 1800's English porter which by that time often included a bit of U.S. hop. It worked extremely well.
The cask was brewed as a group brew by the GL Movember participants according to the server. It was a pale ale made with some wild ontario hops according to Adrian. I enjoyed it and found the hop character to be very interesting. I enjoyed the other beers as well, but the IPA was very very good.