Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Gripe

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

I know this has been mentioned before, but I have to say it again. Why does the LCBO spend money on the Food & Drink issue (and other methods) promoting the Stouts and Porters, and then not make them generally available? I went to 3 different stores in St. Catharines tonight, including the large recently opened store, and not one of them had a single offering from this promotion. The last store recommended a fourth location, that was supposed to get them, but it was too late to get there tonight. It's so frustrating to see shelves and shelves of these Polish/Czech/Ukranian brands. What is the deal there? Why so much shelf space? Apologies to anyone that fancies these, but I haven't found a memorable one yet.

ARGGHH!!

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Do not individual stores choose what brands to stock? If nobody buys them, they won't be on the shelves. Niagara seems a weak beer market to me, with just one decent beer bar/brewpub for 300,000 people.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Andicus, the St. Catharines situation is a very frustrating one for us. The fact is no St. Kitts store is part of the seasonal beer program and, in fact, no St. Kitts store is on the forced release program for new products. We have asked numerous times why at least one store in a city of this size isn't part of both programs and the answer we get from the LCBO is that traditionally St. Catharines has not been a hotbed for imported beers so no stores are part of the program. We're told to call on the stores to try to get them to carry any of our brands but trying to get stores to list expensive imported brands is like pulling teeth. You may wish to voice your concerns over being denied access to these beers by writing to chris.robertson@lcbo.com. who is the Product Manager. Unless people complain, nothing is going to change in St. Catharines.

Radek

Post by Radek »

Reason for that is Very simple - Demand. There is large population of Poles and Russians in GTA and they drink mostly native brands. I ve seen many native Canadians to buy 6-pack of Zywiec quiet often as well. Czech beers are of decent quality and priced reasonable...I just cant to wait to some Baltic Porters in LCBO .

Kid Presentable

Post by Kid Presentable »

if that's the case, I'd love to see sri lankan lion stout come to the lcbo shelves. too bad toronto doesn't have a big belgian community.

kp

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

....why...do Belgians dring a lot of Sri Lankan beer...

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

On 2003-01-15 08:58, rabbit wrote:
....why...do Belgians dring a lot of Sri Lankan beer...
I think KP's two statements were meant to be seperate.

On one hand, there are a lot of Sri Lankans in Toronto. So following on the statement that there are a lot of Polish, Czech, etc. beers available in Toronto due to their large communities here, one would think that the LCBO might bring in some Sri Lankan beer.

On the other, some would say that the LCBO's selection of Belgians isn't great, so if there were more Belgian people in Toronto, they might bring in more Belgian beers.

Greg

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

...be careful about those Belgians..if asked directly they claim to be Austrian...and that they were factory workers during the war...

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

I agree with Presentable...the Sri Lankan Lion Stout would be a great addition to local shelves - top stuff that is.

Rubaiyat

Post by Rubaiyat »

no. individual stores do not choose what to stock. generally.

it's complicated.

Radek

Post by Radek »

Guys think, think :smile: ... I said that main cause for that is Demand. Poles drink a lot of beer, mainly polish one. Sri Lankan community in GTA is lager that’s true but theirs consumption of LCBO beer / capita is low. Not every nation drink its national beer as no 1, they may opt for Canadian or something else. Simply saying, if the beer sells they will put on the shelf. I might remind that those polish beers that were not successful in GTA were removed from sale. Other factor is that polish brands have strong and effective sale rep right here.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Josh: Unfortunately, I think you are right that Niagara is a pretty weak quality beer market, but it's still pretty annoying to see this stuff advertised, only to find out it's not available here.

Peter: I'll e-mail Chris Robertson and let my complaint be heard (or read). I'll also be e-mailing you with an order for a few cases, if they're still available (Westmalle Tripel, Rochefort 8, Orval, and Chimay Blue 33cl.) Or is it better to call. Please let me know.

Radek: I agree about demand, but I'm not in the GTA. And while there are (obviously) some Poles and Russians in St. Catharines, they'd have to drink a heck of a lot of beer to make up for the proportional shelf space here.

Can't comment on the Sri Lankan Lion Stout, other than to say I hope it's nothing like Royal Extra Stout. There's a stout that I did NOT like.

Andrew

Radek

Post by Radek »

I agree that there should be something for everyone in LCBO. I do understand that it might be frustrating, especially if you are not the fan of lagers/pilsners. Like someone posted before, you must voice how you feel to the LCBO management in your city. Maybe letter with X number of signatures....

tipsy mcstagger

Post by tipsy mcstagger »

I would like to add my proverbial 2 cents on this matter, but by looking at it first through the eyes of a wine consumer. When going to the (average) LCBO, you will find that the selection of wine, while large, is fairly homogenous, with a few interesting items thrown in for good measure. Just like any other kind of retail business, product placement and selection is dictated by demand and marketing. Why is there so much Jackson-Triggs and other Vincor products at the pleasing eye level, while better valued and pleasing products linger on the bottom shelves? Look at the latest Food and Drink and you will see - advertising money. All the really good stuff is found only through consignment. Now, getting back to beer.
I feel that demographics do not play much of a role in beer selection at the LCBO and much of what goes on with wine goes on with beer too. With Canadian and other "pilsners" dominating the market, the LCBO looks to find other products that are somewhat similar, to appeal to the average beer drinker. Why have these 10% alcohol Fest Bocks and Malt Liquors in tall cans? So university students can get drunk faster. How many barley wines do you see? Why not have them on the shelves, or any of the other products everyone here would like to see? Because they won't sell to the "average consumer" - Joe Shmoe who likes his Lakeport and Coors Light. Some interesting brews certainly can be found there (especially during promotions) but for the most part, beer geeks are left out in the cold, just like Joe's Milkwakee's Best.