Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

A Beer-only LCBO?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

A Beer-only LCBO?

Post by El Pinguino »

I was thinking about the LCBO and how they've got their ncie Vintages section in many stores and how their latest advert talks about over 300 beers from more than 40 countries...

So I thought, why the heck don't they open one (or a few) special big-box type locations... a "Beer Barn" per se, taht focuses solely on selling beers. If done right they could use it as a testing ground for new breweries and bring in more oddities / rarities without having to distribute through their province-wide system.

Throughout the states you see these big shops survive. If you make it a "destination" in itself by having brands not found elsewhere, I'm sure it could fly.

I doubt the Beer Store could do anything but whine, and the LCBO could re-brand these locations....

Anyways, I think such a pilot project could fly. I mean, if "we" can't open up our own beer stores with what we want....this could be a more viable option than getting the LCBO en masse to bring in great beers?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

El Pinguino wrote:...
So I thought, why the heck don't they open one (or a few) special big-box type locations... a "Beer Barn" per se, taht focuses solely on selling beers. If done right they could use it as a testing ground for new breweries and bring in more oddities / rarities without having to distribute through their province-wide system.

Throughout the states you see these big shops survive. If you make it a "destination" in itself by having brands not found elsewhere, I'm sure it could fly....
All quite viable ideas, perhaps, yet the LCBO are obviously fence-sitters. They neither wish to fully serve beer market sales nor relinquish them to private vendors.
In Beerum Veritas

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

I would be happy to see one store in each region that could carry a special section of craft beer. If the large purchase requirements are what is stopping them from carrying more products, especially from brewers they already deal with, then maybe this would help.

Though having something with a selection like premier gourmet would be great too, even if they only allowed 2 stores in say toronto and ottawa, it would be much less hassle then a trip to buffalo.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

This is a well covered concept that has cropped up in many threads over the years. While it remains a good idea for you and I, the chances of the LCBO doing it are next to nil. They are a profit motivated corporation and beer is a marginal, and not overly profitable segment of their business. Vintages is a completely different concept since some of the wines and liquor sold there have huge price tags and big profits even for small volume sales. Premium imported beer just doesn't have a big enough market share and can't be sold at a price point to rival the Vintages model. Bottom line, it isn't enough of a money maker concept for the LCBO to take it on so they won't.

The only viable solution to fight for is a two tiered liquor retailing system like they have in B.C. and Alberta. The LCBO would still control importation, testing and warehousing but private stores could carry similar stock to the corporate stores (albeit at a markup) and would be free to bring in other product, offered through agents, not generally available through the LCBO stores. This way they continue to profit on all sales whether they are in their own stores or not. Currently the largest obstacle to seeing this come to fruition is the LCBO employees union who trot out all the old bugaboo arguments against the idea (like sales to minors at private stores, lack of employee training etc...) when their only interest in the matter is maintaining control of staffing/membership. Until the bureaucrats in charge of the LCBO recognize the advantages of a two tiered system and are willing to stand up to the union things will remain exactly as they are.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jon Walker wrote:
Bottom line, it isn't enough of a money maker concept for the LCBO to take it on so they won't.
Truly bizarre. They want it both ways - zero market competition, AND most profitable sales - by keeping out many good products! This should not be.

How can justifications like 'social responsibility' sincerely mean anything to this supposedly accountable Crown Corp when it acts more like a cunningly avaricious private company? They are playing the Ontario public with propaganda, and they are ruthlessly manipulative of importers and suppliers. Wow... It's pathetic to call Ontario home at times. :-?
In Beerum Veritas

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Belgian wrote: Wow... It's pathetic to call Ontario home at times. :-?
Really? Simply because you can't get your hands on all of the beer that you would like to? Perhaps you could try calling Cambodia, Iraq, Honduras or Bulgaria home for a while (no offence to any country in particular, just a random sampling of countries in which beer selection is vastly worse than what it is here)...write and let us know how the beer scene is treating you.

I'm not an LCBO apologist by any stretch...but come on, let's keep things in context please.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Like you ever read the 10,000 times I said Canada is still a great place to live if you have to drive to Buffalo. Get the point fer fuck's sake.
Last edited by Belgian on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:
Jon Walker wrote:
Bottom line, it isn't enough of a money maker concept for the LCBO to take it on so they won't.
Truly bizarre. They want it both ways - zero market competition, AND most profitable sales - by keeping out many good products! This should not be.

How can justifications like 'social responsibility' sincerely mean anything to this supposedly accountable Crown Corp when it acts more like a cunningly avaricious private company? They are playing the Ontario public with propaganda, and they are ruthlessly manipulative of importers and suppliers. Wow... It's pathetic to call Ontario home at times. :-?

Yes, pathetic indeed. We can't get some beer, and listen to us. Aren't we spoiled? If all we have to complain about is not having access to some beer, then Id say we have it pretty good. And hey, at least we have the option of leaving Ontario. Try leaving some of these other countries. You can't.
This reminds me of a London Free Press article a few weeks ago. A guy complaining about the free fireworks that were shown downtown on Canada Day. He said it was pathetic........and that he was ashamed to be Canadian. Imagine having the nerve to even complain about that...............
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Yes it's sad we can't get many beers. Big bloody deal. Different choices in different places.

I'm much more concerned about the fact that the LCBO (& related distribution laws) hamper commerce and free enterprise. The fact that we have a government institution creating/maintaining barriers for for Ontario brewers (they are taxpayers too) is a dismal squandering of opportunity. Why can't the LCBO see opportunity in this to serve their constituents and make even greater profits?

I don't expect the LCBO to boutique exotic brews for beer geeks. I do expect them to either have a role in helping Ontario brewers serve their customers or get out of the bloody way.

Either help the OCB (or non-members with similar businesses) or let them run their own distribution. Stop stifling our local industry.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sorry Steel but the past few interactions with lesser-quality LCBO individuals than yourself went very, VERY poorly in terms of client service. And sometimes pride in one's (basically great) homeland translates as a desire for positive change & I hope you get that on some level. Cheers!
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:Sorry Steel but the past few interactions with lesser-quality LCBO individuals than yourself went very, VERY poorly in terms of client service. And sometimes pride in one's (basically great) homeland translates as a desire for positive change & I hope you get that on some level. Cheers!
I get it on every level. I'd be the first to toss a large group of our employees, believe me. I just like to think that there are far more important things to worry about........and I like giving you a hard time.......:) :) :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Governmental control of its people and squandering of tax dollars are important things to worry about.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

DragonOfBlood wrote:Governmental control of its people and squandering of tax dollars are important things to worry about.
True, but they've got their hands in everything. Agreed?

We've been getting it in the ass in so many ways I've lost all feeling......................... 8)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote: I just like to think that there are far more important things to worry about........and I like giving you a hard time.......:) :) :)
You f-cker! :lol: Yes, more important things like "is that blue-shirt chick single, and does she draw enough scratch to pay her own way to Europe if/when we fly over there..."
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
DragonOfBlood wrote:Governmental control of its people and squandering of tax dollars are important things to worry about.
True, but they've got their hands in everything. Agreed?

We've been getting it in the ass in so many ways I've lost all feeling......................... 8)
That's what Big Brother is counting on. They put it in so very slow you almost don't know then - BAMM - they totally fuck you.

I believe that is a certain South American's description of what is happening in Canada, because we're such sheep, there is never a public outrage to cause the rule-makers to shit in fear the way they should...
In Beerum Veritas