Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Greetings from Vancouver

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Greetings from Vancouver

Post by Jon Walker »

So we made it...a two part journey. Me solo from Toronto to Winnipeg via the American beer route (more on that another time) and then across from Winnipeg with wife and kids in tow. It went very well and the weather was mostly fantastic...as it is right now, streaming in through my office window.

My first post from here is one I think you all might find interesting and one that is relevant to Toronto and Ontario as well. After I read it I was reminded of all the times I've had a pint in Toronto and wondered if (or knew) the glass did not hold a full pint of beer within. I'm curious what the Ontario provincial laws are and if the contradict the federal ones the way they do here. Anyway, read on and discuss...

http://www.vancouversun.com/pint+other+ ... story.html
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

For the last few hundred years the government has been trying to legislate where a shadow should land...but it keeps moving. :lol:

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

The confrontation at the Mountain Shadow is great, what a schmutz.

Interesting to see what would happen if an official complaint was made to Industry. When I worked at a grocery store, officials from Weights and Measures would come in every now and again to test our scales. I assume they would be bound to do the same at bars selling fake "pints".

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It's easy to conceal a short pour with those shaker pint glasses:
http://thebeergauge.com/Home_Page.html

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

That was one of my favorite things about pubs in England. Every time you ordered a beer it came in a pint glass with a little line at the top and a certification so you knew exactly how much beer you were paying for. There is at least a couple of bars in Ottawa where if you order a pint, it comes in a glass that looks like a standard pint glass with the rounded section on top. Yet unlike actual pint glasses I can get my hand much further around the glass than the same style glass I have at home. It looks like a kid size version of the normal glass.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Britain actually has an extraordinary number of laws designed specifically to protect the consumer. Imagine living in a world where there are no ATM fees because the government realized it was nothing more than a money grab by the banks. Or how about making it illegal to lock cellphones to carriers! It was decided that after a customer purchases their cellphone they actually own it and can do whatever they want. Even if that means keeping the same number and switching carriers. We're not talking about choosing the best out of three companies either like the Great White North.
But yes, my favorite is the standardized pint glass. I actually own a few with the Crown's seal on them. Oh how lucky I am.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

The shadow guy sounds like a bid light lime drinking douchebag.

Glad you made it safe Jon. Keep up the good acting work, and if you're in this part of S.O. again, the pints are on me.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

SteelbackGuy wrote:The shadow guy sounds like a bid light lime drinking douchebag.
???

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I think "bUd light lime drinking douchebag" is a fair assessment. :D
The Sun wrote:
The Mountain Shadow pub in Burnaby offered a radically different response.

Informed by The Sun that the pub's "pint" of Granville Island honey lager measured only about 15.3 ounces, manager Chris Jolly asserted a "pint in Canada is 375 millilitres," not the 568.26 millilitres stated by Ottawa (nor the 473.176 millilitres in a U.S. pint, for that matter).

"I guarantee you're wrong," he said, leading The Sun to his locked basement office where he proceeded without success to look for a reference supporting his position.

Then he stated he didn't want his name in the paper, warning: "If you do, there'll be hell to pay. It's in your best interest not to."

Informed The Sun could make no such guarantee, Jolly then demanded the reporter's notes containing his comments.

Told he would not get them, Jolly said he would call the police and was, in fact, pleading his case over his cellphone in the pub parking lot when The Sun left.

"He's leaving now...." Jolly was last heard to say.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I'm sooo slooowww. :oops:

Now I can tell the wife that the beer budget is so big not because I drink so much but because I'm constantly getting ripped off!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

It now appears that CityTV Toronto have got hold of this 'short changing' and are running a piece on the 6pm news tonight, Friday 28th August.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

There's a CityTV station out here as well...I wonder if it will be a story taken from the station here or one specific to Toronto? Let me know if you watch it.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.