Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Canadian Brewing Awards - Winners TBA Tonight

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Canadian Brewing Awards - Winners TBA Tonight

Post by Pub Style »

The Canadian Brewing Awards gala is taking place tonight and all the winners from this years judging will be announced before a packed house of brewers and brewery representatives from various parts of the country.

Unfortunately the event is only for trade and media only, but I'll be posting the full list of winners once the actually presentation gets underway - approx 7:45pm.

http://www.greatcanadianpubs.blogspot.com

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Should be a good event!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Who will win for coldest tasting beer?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

i can't wait

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

They're up, so go check em out on Troy's blog.

Nice one, Derek and Amsterdam!

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Some funny additions to that list....

All there though, just missing the Top Brewery and Best Beer award...

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Brewery of the Year: Mill Street (nice!)
Beer of the Year: Yukon Arctic Red (great beer, but...)

notdan

Post by notdan »

Props to Charlevoix Double, love that beer!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Who knew there were so many styles being brewed in Canada? Or are some made up just to give awards out?

And some styles had some strange results, ie Gold & Bronze handed out but no Silver, and Silver & Bronze but no Gold. All seems a little farcical to me.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Torontoblue wrote:Who knew there were so many styles being brewed in Canada? Or are some made up just to give awards out?

And some styles had some strange results, ie Gold & Bronze handed out but no Silver, and Silver & Bronze but no Gold. All seems a little farcical to me.
speaking as a sports guy, i always found it odd, too. gold-silver-bronze should be 1-2-3. however, what it means is that the one who got ``bronze,'' didn't have a high enough score to qualify for a silver. pretty common in awards, whether it's beer, wine or music competitions. i still prefer this over the system in place at some awards, where any beer (or wine or musician) which reaches a certain score gets a gold, so that in some categories you wind up with 4 gold medal winners.
i do think, in fairness, that there's more credibility for the CBAs than there once was. is it perfect? no. is it moving in the right direction? yes.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

The scoring is now done blindly by certified judges. I think they're given all the samples within the style, but it's not a ranking, it's an evaluation according to the style.

I was speaking with one of the judges last night and he remarked that you could have the situation were you'd taste a phenominal light lager, but if it's outside the guidelines, it'd actually be marked down.

Some subjectivity & personal preference is inevitable, but the scoring is really an objective measure of how well the sample fits within the particular style.

I'm not a certified judge, but maybe one will chime in with a clearer, more accurate description.

www.bjcp.org

The end result may not agree with personal preferences (some of them certainly don't agree with mine), but I think it's a reasonably objective outcome.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

tuqueboy wrote:speaking as a sports guy, i always found it odd, too. gold-silver-bronze should be 1-2-3. however, what it means is that the one who got ``bronze,'' didn't have a high enough score to qualify for a silver. pretty common in awards, whether it's beer, wine or music competitions. i still prefer this over the system in place at some awards, where any beer (or wine or musician) which reaches a certain score gets a gold, so that in some categories you wind up with 4 gold medal winners.
This is completely bizarre, and does not abide by the BJCP competition guidelines whatsoever.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote:The scoring is now done blindly by certified judges. I think they're given all the samples within the style, but it's not a ranking, it's an evaluation according to the style.

I was speaking with one of the judges last night and he remarked that you could have the situation were you'd taste a phenominal light lager, but if it's outside the guidelines, it'd actually be marked down.

Some subjectivity & personal preference is inevitable, but the scoring is really an objective measure of how well the sample fits within the particular style.

I'm not a certified judge, but maybe one will chime in with a clearer, more accurate description.

www.bjcp.org

The end result may not agree with personal preferences (some of them certainly don't agree with mine), but I think it's a reasonably objective outcome.
Yes, this is mostly how BJCP judging is done. It is up to the brewer to enter it in the category they feel the beer will score best. However, a lot of the CBA categories seem made up, or else they took sub-styles (ie; premium light lager, imperial stoutj) and made them into categories of their own. Either follow the BJCP guidelines, or don't. This is just comes off as very half-assed, and downright confusing.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

But I still say congrats to all the winners, you still gotta brew a good beer to win!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Rant on the awards from Greg Nash out in Hfax.

http://hartandthistle.blogspot.com/2009 ... -rant.html

P.S. had a good time, congrats to the winners.