Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mill Street Buys Rights for Bluesfest!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Mill Street Buys Rights for Bluesfest!

Post by Bytowner »

Big news:
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Blues ... story.html

Mill Street will have exclusive rights to Bluesfest in Ottawa next year. They will pour 2 beers around the festival and set up a central pub with "up to 8 taps". This is a pretty big moment for craft brewing in Ontario. For Bluesfest to make an effort to seek out a craftbrewer, there must have been a lot of requests.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

This is really neat - its nice to see a craft brewer step up and sponsor a big event like this, though the amount of cash it costs probably limits the guys who can do it to a select few. I wonder if Joel is going to make a special festival brew for you guys?

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

That would be pretty awesome.

My one worry is the cost of beer. I wonder how quickly people will rethink their requests for craft beer if they're paying $8 a cup.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Bytowner wrote:My one worry is the cost of beer. I wonder how quickly people will rethink their requests for craft beer if they're paying $8 a cup.
They don't question paying that much for crap at Sens games so I think it will be okay.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Awesome news. This is something I really did not expect. Hillside in Guelph always has Mill Street, F&M, and Wellington, but half the point of Hillside is to not be commercial. Bluesfest making a move like this is pretty impressive.

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

Bytowner wrote:My one worry is the cost of beer. I wonder how quickly people will rethink their requests for craft beer if they're paying $8 a cup.
As I understand it Mill Street products will be the only beer available at the festival. That tells me that the price for at least some of the beers will be similar to when Molson's provided the beer. I don't know what the price has been in the past because I've never thought there was any beer worth buying at the festival (at least in the last 8 years I've been going).

I'm sure the Bluesfest staff are also aware that the majority of the beer drinkers are just looking for something cold, wet, with minimal flavour, and at an acceptable price. I expect to see a lot of Organic Lager and Stock Ale being drunk by the usual Labatt/Molson drinkers.

I'm just glad that it looks like I should be able to get some Tankhouse, and hopefully some IPA and ESB, at the festival.