Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ola Dubh 40 in the T-dot?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

probstk

Ola Dubh 40 in the T-dot?

Post by probstk »

I'm waiting patiently for the Ola Dubh 12 to make its appearance. Now the Toronto Star is reporting that Ola Dubh 40 will be sold in a handful of Toronto LCBOs.

Has anyone got more info this, like when and where...?

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I suppose the store allocation has not been decided yet, but it would be a shock if Summerhill and Queen's Quay don't have it. As for timing Josh mentioned it would be in the next week or so as its part of the LCBO's holiday offerings.

Here's Josh's article on Ola Dubh 40: http://www.thestar.com/living/article/7 ... tch-accent

I've only had the 30 and it was excellent, so I'll definitely be buying some of the 12 and 40.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Bobsy wrote:I suppose the store allocation has not been decided yet, but it would be a shock if Summerhill and Queen's Quay don't have it. As for timing Josh mentioned it would be in the next week or so as its part of the LCBO's holiday offerings.

Here's Josh's article on Ola Dubh 40: http://www.thestar.com/living/article/7 ... tch-accent

I've only had the 30 and it was excellent, so I'll definitely be buying some of the 12 and 40.
Hey guys.
They didn't have space to run the little sidebar chart. Here are the GTA stores which will be carrying the 40 (SKU: 143610). I was told end of this week or next, it should start shipping into stores.
Cheers,
Josh Rubin

GTA

--Yonge/Queen's Quay

--Yonge/Summerhill

--Bayview Village

--Yonge/Davisville

--Bloor/Royal York

--Steeles/410

--Atrium on Bay

--Manulife Centre

--St. Clair/Keele

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Am I correct in assuming that "some Toronto LCBOs" means not anywhere else in the province?

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Bytowner wrote:Am I correct in assuming that "some Toronto LCBOs" means not anywhere else in the province?
Actually, a handful of non-GTA stores will have a bit as well:

Ottawa Rideau & King Edward
Ottawa Bank & Walkley
Peterborough Lansdowne West & Parkway
,Hamilton Dundurn & Charleton
Ottawa-Nepean Hunt Club & Merivale (Nepean Crossroads)
Kingston Barrack & King

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Awesome! Thanks man.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Thanks for the additional info Josh! I was considering picking this up in Buffalo later this month, but now I won't have to!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Sweet Ass
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

probstk

Post by probstk »

tuqueboy wrote:
Bytowner wrote:Am I correct in assuming that "some Toronto LCBOs" means not anywhere else in the province?
Actually, a handful of non-GTA stores will have a bit as well:

Ottawa Rideau & King Edward
Ottawa Bank & Walkley
Peterborough Lansdowne West & Parkway
,Hamilton Dundurn & Charleton
Ottawa-Nepean Hunt Club & Merivale (Nepean Crossroads)
Kingston Barrack & King
Awesome. Thanks Josh.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I think I'm going to have to try this. I'll be in the UK in a month and if it is the same price here, there is no point in waiting!

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Sweet! I'll be keeping a watchful eye on the LCBO site for when it does come out.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

what an absolute fucking joke. so much for the worlds largest purchaser of alcohol ensuring that people in smaller areas have access to a great product selection just like what you'd find in a major city. :roll:

i guess Barrie must be some kind of backwater compared to a sophisticated population like Hamilton.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

mintjellie wrote:what an absolute fucking joke. so much for the worlds largest purchaser of alcohol ensuring that people in smaller areas have access to a great product selection just like what you'd find in a major city. :roll:

i guess Barrie must be some kind of backwater compared to a sophisticated population like Hamilton.
Barrie isn't very far away from Toronto. Why don't you get someone to hold onto a bottle for you?

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

I wonder if due to the high price point you could do a store transfer of one or 2 bottles? What is the minimum that the LCBO will transfer?
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

mintjellie wrote:what an absolute fucking joke. so much for the worlds largest purchaser of alcohol ensuring that people in smaller areas have access to a great product selection just like what you'd find in a major city. :roll:

Its about demographics and market forces. Don't expect to have the same selection as Toronto in a town a fraction of the size. You can roll your eyes at Hamilton, but if you actually drive around the Golden Horseshoe you'll realise that boundaries between towns only exist on paper and you'll be driving through cities all the way from Oshawa to Hamilton.

Whatever you think of the LCBO they're not absolute idiots, and they clearly believe that they can't sell enough bottles of a very highly priced premium beer in Barrie to make it viable.