Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

BrewDog Punk IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

BrewDog Punk IPA

Post by Bytowner »

This is an odd little creature.

Certainly doesn't look like much. Straw coloured, a pretty thin head and spotty lacings.

North American hops on the nose, somewhat subdued with a bit of honey sweetness from the malt.

Bittering hops right up front. Mouth coating. And then... I'm not sure. After reading Jon's (I think) post before, I was expecting some sweeter Scottish malt in the backbone here, but I'm not getting much at all. Just a tiny bit of sweetness, but I can't say much else. It's hops all the way through.

It's not a bad beer, but I'm a bit disapointed. There is so much to recommend good scottish pale ales, but I can't find it here. The malt just isn't there, it's way too clean.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

So is it unbalanced like Yellow Snow, or in a different way?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Well, I think Yellow Snow is pretty well balanced.

The hops aren't crazy or anything in the Punk, there's just nothing backing them up. So you could say it's out of balance, but only because your standard malt flavours aren't really there at all.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

So it IS like the yellow snow. A hop tea if you will. Or like the Prima Pils, you can take your pick. These are all beers out of balance and suffer as a result.

I'll pick up a couple in any event, but I appreciate the warning. Cheers!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

It's interesting to look at some of the 1800's definitions of India Pale Ale. Here's one, which, as many I've read, stresses the dryness of the beer:

http://books.google.com/books?id=A4AEAA ... of&f=false

Fermentation was pursued to consume almost all the fermentable extract (in pre-pasteurization days) to render the beer more stable for export (less likelihood of a wild fermentation).

Of course, sweetness/dryness would have varied amongst brands.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

My comment in the other thread was merely meant to say that I found the beer atypical to style for either a west coast IPA or a Scottish IPA (like Deuchars for example) which is closer in style to an English IPA. Gary might be correct, that this Brewdog offering is truer to an older interpretation of the authentic style but regardless I found the beer unsatisfying since it really didn`t fulfill my expectations of either continental style nor created (or recreated) something pleasingly unique.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Mr. Lou Pepe

Post by Mr. Lou Pepe »

I bought some for Christmas this year, DID NOT SATISFY the IPA lovers at the table =(

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

Had 2 yesterday. It was pretty one dimensional. Lots of good hop aroma and bitterness but was almost like drinking a dry hopped coors light, nothing to really back up the hops.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I felt like I got "punked" when I tried this a couple nights ago.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I liked it for what it's trying to be. It has an almost lager crispness, and the taste is somewhere between a British pale and a lighter West Coast. So it's probably a nice "gateway" beer to steal away drinkers of stuff like Holsten Pils and Greene King IPA, opening their palates a bit in the direction of good west-coast style IPAs. When they eventually discover Stone or Southern Tier, they will go 'whoah!'

This is not the top percentile beer geek's IPA, nor is it really meant to be, I would imagine.
In Beerum Veritas

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

I got to try this and the Yellow Snow yesterday. I liked the Punk....I felt the hops were very much like a West Coast IPA with a slight nod towards the more traditional IPA taste. Very unbalanced but I liked it for sure.

I liked the Yellow Snow much more but wow it was pricey.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Timmy wrote: I liked the Yellow Snow much more but wow it was pricey.
It's a good beer. I agree a bomber such as Stone IPA is better value than that, but regardless of price I like variety.

Hope Brew Dog is good for IPA's general visibility.
In Beerum Veritas

IPA Boy

Post by IPA Boy »

Good info on this. I have not tried it, but I was curious when I saw it at the store.

Looks like I'll pass, unless I can get a single at the LCBO.
Cheers

---------------------------------------------------------
Supporting mankind's right to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Hoppyness

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

IPA Boy wrote:Looks like I'll pass, unless I can get a single at the LCBO.
If you're still talking about the Punk IPA, singles is how it's being sold at the LCBO. Worth the gamble for a bottle - even if you don't like it, you'll only be out a couple of bucks.

carguy

Post by carguy »

I bought two which I tried yesterday. I agree with everyone above that it has a nice hop flavour and aroma, but the body is a bit thin and watery.