Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hacker-Pschorr Edelhell

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jaymack

Hacker-Pschorr Edelhell

Post by jaymack »

When did TBS start selling this? Is it any good? Love the Hacker Hefe.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

jaymack wrote:When did TBS start selling this? Is it any good? Love the Hacker Hefe.
Not sure when they started selling it - I rated it on RB in 2004, but didn't mention where I got it. Even if it was more recently added at TBS, I think it's been a couple of years at least.

My tasting notes back then weren't great, but I seemed to like it:

"Bright, clear honey-golden colour with a small white head. Herbal/grassy aroma. Crisp, lively body. Flavour is simple but fresh and well balanced."

Gave it a 3.7 out of 5.0 total.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I had some last spring, and found it a bit uninspiring:
Picked up a bottle from the beerstore on the basis that if anyone know how to make a decent Munich helles its a German brewer from Munich.

The initial outlook for Edelhell is excellent, as a moderate pour produces a rich golden body with a good two fingers of white head - a classical and beautiful lager appearance. Sadly, this is somewhat of a mirage, and the head dissipates to a film in record quick time, and leaves no lace. Still... nice clarity, even if the peripherals suck. Aroma of sweet toasty malt and grassy German hops. Fairly standard for a helles, but not remotely exciting. Lightly toasted malts, grassy, spicy hops and a lingering sweetness in the flavour. Clean and well-balanced, if again a little uninspiring. Body is quite nice, medium light with a zingy but soft carbonation.

Overall its not a bad example of the Munich helles style, but I don't think its a particularly great one either. Its the sort of beer I could see as easy to drink lots of on a night out with friends because its straightforward and fairly quaffable. However for sitting at home and considering its virtues, its a poor choice considering the cast range of craft beer out there. A lawnmower beer down to the smell and taste of grass clippings.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

This has been my go-to lager for the past few years....it's a true Munich helles and 100% gristed malt lager...helles gives a lemony-bready snap in the finish...this lager has that in spades and I like it second only to Ayinger Jahrhundert.

Recently though I have not seen it at TBS and what has shown up is H-S Municher Gold which is a separate branded different beer and a 'Vollbier" ( up to 14% extract) it's a serviceable helles but it is not Edelhell .

When I asked the beer store manager why the substitution he said when they order edelhell this Municher gold is what they're sent...is this a typical TBS-LCBO stocking frig up or has Paulaner killed a few H-S brands??

Anyone get any info from the H-S agents?
Aventinus rules!