Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Where's the smoke?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sunnytoh

Where's the smoke?

Post by sunnytoh »

Ok, so I have been doing the backyard thing for a couple years now. I have started this year visiting all the BBQ joints I come across in my area. The main thing I have noticed is the lack of smoke in all the meats. I have talked to several of the owners of the joints and they assure me they do not wrap their meats. I believe they are telling me the truth. Most of the places I have visited have had a good bark on everything and even a smoke ring in the meat. I usually go for the pulled pork, brisket, and ribs. I just do not se how these place can have the ring and crust with no smoke flavor. I had some of the best brisket I have ever had yesterday. While talking to the owner of the place, he said they slow smoke it for 12-14 hours in hickory. It did have a mild smoke taste, but nothing like what I get when I smoke with only hickory (you know I smoked with hickory). Maybe I am missing something.... I do want to get my brisket down (very tender and juicy). Gonna keep working at it.

jcc

Post by jcc »

sunnytoh wrote:Ok, so I have been doing the backyard thing for a couple years now. I have started this year visiting all the BBQ joints I come across in my area. The main thing I have noticed is the lack of smoke in all the meats. I have talked to several of the owners of the joints and they assure me they do not wrap their meats. I believe they are telling me the truth. Most of the places I have visited have had a good bark on everything and even a smoke ring in the meat. I usually go for the pulled pork, brisket, and ribs. I just do not se how these place can have the ring and crust with no smoke flavor. I had some of the best brisket I have ever had yesterday. While talking to the owner of the place, he said they slow smoke it for 12-14 hours in hickory. It did have a mild smoke taste, but nothing like what I get when I smoke with only hickory (you know I smoked with hickory). Maybe I am missing something.... I do want to get my brisket down (very tender and juicy). Gonna keep working at it.
Just to be clear here smoke does not create a smoke ring. It has more to do with the temperature you cook at and the humidity in the smoker than the actual smoke itself. I have created smoke rings when using the oven, though it is much harder to do. Smokers just happen to have much better conditions for creating a smoke ring than most other forms of cooking.

Foiling or wrapping is a whole other debate. After 8 hours of smoking, you aren't going to get any more smoke flavour in your meat, so foiling isn't a problem unless you like crusty bark. The meat will be moist, but some don't like the thought of using foil. Personally, I like to foil the meat. It speeds up the cooking time, keeps it moist and allows me to toss some beer in with the meat for that extra something

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

I don't Want to be an ass, and I know this is the random talk thread but why would someone create and account and post about smokey BBQ In a beer forum?

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

I'm disappointed to see this thread is not about the lack of Canadian Rauchbiers. :(

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

robinvboyer wrote:I don't Want to be an ass, and I know this is the random talk thread but why would someone create and account and post about smokey BBQ In a beer forum?
My thoughts exactly, but I'll gladly talk BBQ on a beer forum!

Seriously, is there any commercial joint in Canada that makes decent BBQ? There ain't any decent ones in Saskatchewan or Calgary. I went to the Palomino SMOKEHOUSE in Calgary... they have an open kitchen... you walk into the place... and there is no smell of smoke! I knew I was in trouble.

It's been damn cold on the prairies this winter, but I've still managed to do a couple cooks of side ribs and chicken thighs, and my friend and I collaborated on some pulled pork and ABTs for Super Bowl. As long as you are out of the wind, you can cook in any temperature. He did the western canadian competition circuit last year as an assistant on a very successful team. He's planning to do the same again this year, but him and I are probably going to enter our own team for the Regina comp.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

robinvboyer wrote:I don't Want to be an ass, and I know this is the random talk thread but why would someone create and account and post about smokey BBQ In a beer forum?
Nice way to welcome someone new! :wink:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Tapsucker wrote:
Nice way to welcome someone new! :wink:
If Sunnytoh actually shows up for a second post that's great. But you have to admit that his first post is kind of a bizarre foray into a beer forum.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I'm more surprised that no one else is interested in BBQ on here.

A lot of beer geeks in Regina are heavily into BBQ, and when I was in Calgary last weekend, I found the same was also true of beer loving Calgarians.

jcc

Post by jcc »

markaberrant wrote:Seriously, is there any commercial joint in Canada that makes decent BBQ? There ain't any decent ones in Saskatchewan or Calgary. I went to the Palomino SMOKEHOUSE in Calgary... they have an open kitchen... you walk into the place... and there is no smell of smoke! I knew I was in trouble.

It's been damn cold on the prairies this winter, but I've still managed to do a couple cooks of side ribs and chicken thighs, and my friend and I collaborated on some pulled pork and ABTs for Super Bowl. As long as you are out of the wind, you can cook in any temperature. He did the western canadian competition circuit last year as an assistant on a very successful team. He's planning to do the same again this year, but him and I are probably going to enter our own team for the Regina comp.
So there is another potential competitive BBQer on the bartowel forum. Too bad Regina is so far away or we could hold an impromptu Bartowel BBQ smackdown (if you've ever been to a BBQ comp, you'll know how ridiculous it is to call one of these things a smackdown).

I have always been bothered by the fact that BBQ joints in this country don't smell like there has been any cooking going on in them. This must be related to various health regulations, but even when after I have finished smoking a brisket or pork shoulder and am holding the meat at a safe temperature in the oven my house reeks of BBQ for days. Perhaps they aren't serving fresh BBQ? Who knows. It is a mystery to me.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

We're big fans of BBQ. There are many long threads on chowhound on BBQ in the Ontario board.

In the GTA for good BBQ places there are:

Buster Rhino @ Whitby & Oshawa
Memphis @ Woodbridge
Southern RUB @ Woodbridge

Further afield:
Mad Michaels @ Wybridge
A joint out in the Kawartha's

Western NY State:
Dinosaur BBQ @ Rochester
Sticky Lips @ Rochester

I've been to all except for the Kawartha's place.

Memphis, Dinosaur and Sticky Lips smelled amazing! We found the food to be excellent particularly compared to some of the other BBQ dreck around the GTA. Keep in mind we haven't visited the southern USA yet.

We've also taken up BBQ at home with a stove top smoker which does a damn fine job aside from producing bark which we try to compensate for with some time under the broiler. Once we get more experience I'd like to get a real smoker but I'll have to look into the condo rules to see what the language is on BBQs as they aren't allowed unless you're one of the few units with nobody overhead.

I'd love to see a large brewpub open up that does Southern BBQ and plays blues music. The roundhouse next to Steamwhistle would have been perfect but alas Leon's went in there instead.
lister

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

lister wrote:I'd love to see a large brewpub open up that does Southern BBQ
If we ever win the lottery, that is the dream my wife and I have.

However, The Bushwakker in Regina very occassionally does BBQ, and when they do, it is good. The owners are really into BBQ, but they just don't have room for a permanent setup. I have heard this may change.

Beer Bros in Regina apparently has a high end commercial smoker, but they are still in their growth phase and just haven't had the chance to get it up and running in their kitchen.

The Palomino in Calgary has a great environment, live music and beer, but the BBQ sucks.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

If you're ever in the Detroit area...

http://slowsbarbq.com/on_tap.php

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Dinosaur BBQ is a great place. I've eaten at the Syracuse location a few times. Love the pulled pork. Really nice sauces too - not thick and gloopy.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

More local, I liked the pulled pork from:
http://www.highway61.ca/index-en.html

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Derek wrote:More local, I liked the pulled pork from:
http://www.highway61.ca/index-en.html
They also have a pretty good tap policy. There is generally at least one good local beer available at anytime.

I would like to also nominate Lou Dawgs on King St. They won't blow you away, but the food is good value and it's a nice spot for a quick bite. Taps are not as good, I think they have a pact with Sappporo.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.