Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Beer from Alley Kat - Smoked Porter

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Pub Style
Bar Fly

New Beer from Alley Kat - Smoked Porter

Post by Pub Style »

From my blog:

Edmonton's Alley Kat Brewery is currently in their 15th year of operation and they will be celebrating the milestone throughout the year with a series of new creations. First in that series: Smoked Porter.

On Friday March 12th, between 5-7pm, Alley Kat will open their doors to the public and will be offering samples of the new beer. The malt, smoked at the brewery using apple wood chips, is said to provide smoky notes throughout the aroma, flavour profile, and finish.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I'll be there :D

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Caught wind of the smoked porter yesterday and can't wait. Looking forward to the others marking year 15. Alley Kat doesn't get enough props in my book.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

let us know when it becomes bottled.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Alley Kat is an awesome brewery, and I agree with boney that they should get more acclaim. Their Old Deuteronomy barleywine is awesome and their Full Moon Pale Ale is a great session beer. They do produce some middle of the road stuff, and the less said of their chile beers the better, but on the whole a great Canadian brewer.

I wonder if their smoked porter is going to be similar to their earlier rendition, which used different wood:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/711/2073
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/alley-kat- ... rter/4137/