Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2010 Release (Full list)

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

SteelbackGuy wrote:The beers are the Dunkel and the Weisse. Nothing new, and the Dunkel is pretty boring. Now that I think of it, the Weisse is filtered to all hell.........me and my addiction to friggin glasses.
I must have a different pack, all my beers were Weisse and they weren't filtered. Best before date of 01-2011.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Ukie wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:The beers are the Dunkel and the Weisse. Nothing new, and the Dunkel is pretty boring. Now that I think of it, the Weisse is filtered to all hell.........me and my addiction to friggin glasses.
I must have a different pack, all my beers were Weisse and they weren't filtered. Best before date of 01-2011.

I got Dunkels and Weisse, but look8ing at the box, it says Weisse.......strange.

Also, put the other wheats side by side with Erdinger.....schnider, hacker, weihenstephaner, they are not nearly as filtered and not nearly as flavourful!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

Summerhill has a ton of the Hopfen-Weisse. One thing we can't complain about the LCBO is their very reasonable pricing on beer. Although, what's with the backlit displays of beer at Summerhill? I saw some backlit Innis and Gunn in clear bottles and shuddered.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The backlighting gives that expensive "European" beer flavor which Heineken is so well known for. ;)

Yeah I hate that store for so many reasons, not least of all train tracks over wine displays, but can't fault the volume of supply. The sampling bar is pretty generous with a solid ounce or so of wine.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Hey guys - I'm thinking of picking up a fair few bottles of the Schneider Hopfen-Weisse for the cellar, but I'm really unsure how this one will age. I know than Aventinus ages well, but the hopfen-weisse is far more hop-forward, and I'm not sure what will be left when the bitterness and hop character start to drop out. Any thoughts?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Bobsy wrote:Hey guys - I'm thinking of picking up a fair few bottles of the Schneider Hopfen-Weisse for the cellar, but I'm really unsure how this one will age. I know than Aventinus ages well, but the hopfen-weisse is far more hop-forward, and I'm not sure what will be left when the bitterness and hop character start to drop out. Any thoughts?
Aventinus is a freak of nature. Weizen-bock isnt a style that should be aged but Aventinus ages like a champ. I dont see the Hopfen-Weisse improving with cellar time but if you try to age some please post your findings. Cellaring is a crap shoot anyway, even with beers that are recommended to be aged.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

matt7215 wrote:
Bobsy wrote:Hey guys - I'm thinking of picking up a fair few bottles of the Schneider Hopfen-Weisse for the cellar, but I'm really unsure how this one will age. I know than Aventinus ages well, but the hopfen-weisse is far more hop-forward, and I'm not sure what will be left when the bitterness and hop character start to drop out. Any thoughts?
Aventinus is a freak of nature. Weizen-bock isnt a style that should be aged but Aventinus ages like a champ. I dont see the Hopfen-Weisse improving with cellar time but if you try to age some please post your findings. Cellaring is a crap shoot anyway, even with beers that are recommended to be aged.
That was my feeling too. I'll still age a bottle or two, but this confirms my belief that anything more than that is a big risk.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Bobsy wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
That was my feeling too. I'll still age a bottle or two, but this confirms my belief that anything more than that is a big risk.
whenever cellaring comes up on ratebeer most people with big cellars say dont bother and everyone who doesnt have one says age away.

what are you hoping to gain by cellaring this one? how could time change it to make it more appealing?

to me this beer drinks like a big hefe with lotsa nice fresh late hops.

cellaring hefes is not reccomended and the hops will surely fade.

on the other hand you should probably buy as much as you can if you enjoy it because it probably wont be around long and then you have to wait a year for it to come back in (if it ever does)

ramble over /

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

matt7215 wrote:
Bobsy wrote:
matt7215 wrote: Aventinus is a freak of nature. Weizen-bock isnt a style that should be aged but Aventinus ages like a champ. I dont see the Hopfen-Weisse improving with cellar time but if you try to age some please post your findings. Cellaring is a crap shoot anyway, even with beers that are recommended to be aged.
whenever cellaring comes up on ratebeer most people with big cellars say dont bother and everyone who doesnt have one says age away.

what are you hoping to gain by cellaring this one? how could time change it to make it more appealing?

on the other hand you should probably buy as much as you can if you enjoy it because it probably wont be around long and then you have to wait a year for it to come back in (if it ever does)

ramble over /
Hey Matt, I was mostly interested in seeing if it mutates along the Aventinus path, with a more prominent, juicy malt base, though my instinct tells me the malts aren't as rich as Aventinus. Mainly, though, I'm just interested in providing myself with a wider selection of beer than this province currently allows. I know hopfen-weisse will be gone from the shelves by Summer's end, but wouldn't mind still having access to it, even in a slightly degraded fashion. More than anything, this is my incentive for cellaring beers.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Bobsy wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Bobsy wrote: That was my feeling too. I'll still age a bottle or two, but this confirms my belief that anything more than that is a big risk.

ramble over /
Hey Matt, I was mostly interested in seeing if it mutates along the Aventinus path, with a more prominent, juicy malt base, though my instinct tells me the malts aren't as rich as Aventinus. Mainly, though, I'm just interested in providing myself with a wider selection of beer than this province currently allows. I know hopfen-weisse will be gone from the shelves by Summer's end, but wouldn't mind still having access to it, even in a slightly degraded fashion. More than anything, this is my incentive for cellaring beers.
in that case id say your safe, keeping this one until winter really doesnt seem all that risky. ill probably have some in my fridge until the snow flys but it just be more beer im not drinking rather then beer im intentionally aging.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew

is it gunna make it??

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

matt7215 wrote:Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew

is it gunna make it??
It's really not very good.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mintjellie wrote:

is it gunna make it??
+ 1. Bring me the Espresso Nest or whatever it's called, I may have a slightly better opinion of that.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:

is it gunna make it??
It's a mixture of Ginger and ass
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

mintjellie wrote:

is it gunna make it??
A search on the LCBO site brings up nothing, so I'm not very optimistic.