Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Chimay Red - where have you gone?

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Gedge
Bar Fly

Chimay Red - where have you gone?

Post by Gedge »

What is going on with Chimay Red? I buy this one regularly and lately I noticed it was OOS at my usual LCBO haunts. A check of the LCBO site shows only four stores in T.O. with (limited) stock. It is the same for Chimay White as well.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

No shortage of either in London .
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Maybe a group of Chimay Red starved tourists cleaned us out here.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Blue is better anyway LOL. Let me know if you want to trade for some '06 vintage.

Still like the White very much, very acceptable substitute for Westmalle.
In Beerum Veritas

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I can't for the life of me understand why the blue isn't general list.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Gedge wrote:I can't for the life of me understand why the blue isn't general list.

Good question. I've often wondered the same thing. Then I see what really goes on when I work. See, the same types who buy a six of MGD, Coronita, and Dos Equis, with a few hundred dollars with of expensive wines on the same bill, really think their palates are so refined, and so they try and impress their guests with this fancy "red chimay".

But clearly, the blue offers too much for these types, no matter what their experiences with wine may be. I've often said that even the most acclaimed wine critic, would be a mere speck in the beer world, as they simply cannot appreciate what beer had to offer, and often view beer as a poor man's drink.

Chimay Red- Trappist Ale for those who aren't really sure what they are drinking.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

The blue is general list at the SAQ, which was nice and handy when I lived in Ottawa. Now I'm hoarding my last 5 bombers since I don't know whenI'll be there next.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote: really think their palates are so refined, and so they try and impress their guests with this fancy "red chimay".
Everything that reaches a certain level of mediocrity in Ontario stays there, as a general tendency. This can be seen in many things that never progress.

Like our public transit. Like the way our city is run. Like our 'green' programs and tax break incentives for green energy.

As far as what scares people off with Chimay Bleue, maybe its the ABV. Don't people drink wine though? Bleue does seem to get treated as just a Christmas beer, and not something anyone would buy much of.
In Beerum Veritas

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Belgian wrote: Like our public transit. Like the way our city is run. Like our 'green' programs and tax break incentives for green energy.
...and don't forget the Raptors!!!

Back on topic, I would be happier with the Blue, although given the option between another Chimay or any other Trappist I'd likely take the field. I'll take a Rochefort or Achel or Westmalle or Orval over Chimay any day.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Referring to Chimay Red as mediocre is something of a minority opinion. I'm not saying the mob is always right, all I'm saying is that it's a well regarded brew.
Chimay Première (Red)

BA OVERALL
A-
excellent
w/ 1,143 Reviews

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I think the red is great, prefer the blue, but the red is absolutely solid. Lately I have grabbed Maudite when the red is OOS.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mintjellie wrote:Referring to Chimay Red as mediocre is something of a minority opinion.
Yeah but this one goes to eleven!

But I overstated. Still a tasty beer. A better word than 'mediocrity' would be 'good-enough-ness' or 'we don't have to do better-ness.' Compare De Dolle Oerbier to Chimay Red sometime.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

mintjellie wrote:Referring to Chimay Red as mediocre is something of a minority opinion. I'm not saying the mob is always right, all I'm saying is that it's a well regarded brew.
Chimay Première (Red)

BA OVERALL
A-
excellent
w/ 1,143 Reviews
Certainly well-regarded, though if you taste your way through BA's top 10 dubbels there's a clear quality gap there. I actually ended up re-reviewing it and giving it a B- once I'd tried more of the style:
Pours a dark bronze colour, with a very foamy off-white head, that leaves a few streaks of lace on the glass. While its a pleasant appearance I wouldn't rank it up their with the best examplaes of the style.

Gives off a rich fruity aroma, full of mulling spices, and with a background of sweet malt. Beyond that there's not too much complexity, which is surprising from such a highly regarded beer.

Likewise, the taste is very straightforward, and I can tell you right now that this is no westy 8. Sweet fruity malts dominate, with raisins at the fore, while cinamon and a lightly bready yeast try to keep up. Unfortunately the whole affair is let down by the body, which occassionally errs towards the watery and acts as a diluter in the flavour. There is a decent carbonation, but its too short-lived on the tongue to bulk things up.

I used to be really impressed with this beer, but I've come to realise that its not the star I once thought it was, and it shouldn't share company with St. Bernardus and Westvleteren as one of the better examples of the style.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It is a little lighter (more attenuated) than some of the dubbels... which I find pairs well with food.

I like it a lot (it's one of the reasons I started homebrewing), but if I'm going to sip a brew over the course of an evening, I typically go with something a little bigger in flavour.

m0ej0e

Post by m0ej0e »

I know for myself I really enjoy the Chimay beers. If I could get the blue, it would be my choice year round. I would really like to be able to buy a case or two of any of their beers but I have never found anything but the 750ml bottles (they don't fit in the proper serving glass).

I do know that if you go to the LCBOs around the holidays you can buy a gift pack with a small bottle of the red/white/blue with a glass for about $17.

I was wondering what you ment Bobsy by 'BA'? I have head about a site called 'Beer Advocate' and they do have a number of great reviews. I have only started to visit it so I cannot comment. I would be interested to taste some of the top 10s. but that will be for another topic.