Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sesson: A Craft Beer Festival - Sat Jun 26th

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Sesson: A Craft Beer Festival - Sat Jun 26th

Post by GregClow »

As part of Ontario Craft Beer Week, the folks from The Griffin Gastropub are making the trip down from Bracebridge to present a beer festival. Here are the details:

SESSION: A Craft Beer Festival
Saturday, June 26th - 12 to 8 pm - $35

Sunnyside Pavillion, 1755 Lake Shore Boulevard West, Toronto
http://www.session2010.ca/

It’s a sunny & warm Saturday.
A light breeze blows in off Lake Ontario.
The music is great, and the food challenges your palate.
Plus, you were just handed your new favourite beer…by the brewmaster who made it.
It’s Ontario Craft Beer Week, and you have access to over 75 local brews.

You made the right decision.
Forget fighting the traffic to the cottage this weekend, you still managed to wrestle yourself free from city congestion.

BREWERIES (more breweries to come!!)
Amsterdam Brewing - Toronto, ON
Black Oak Brewing - Etobicoke, ON
Beau’s All Natural Brewing - Vankleek Hill, ON
Brick Brewing - Waterloo, ON
Cameron’s Brewing - Oakville, ON
Duggan's Brewery - Toronto, ON
Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery - Barrie, ON
Great Lakes Brewery - Etobicoke, ON
McAuslan Brewing - Montreal, QC
Mill Street Brewery - Toronto, ON
Muskoka Cottage Brewery - Bracebridge, ON
Nickel Brook Beers - Burlington, ON
Propeller Brewery - Halifax, NS
Thornbury Village Cidery - Thornbury, ON
Trafalgar Brewing - Oakville, ON
Tree Brewing - Kelowna, BC
Unibroue - Chambly, QC
Wellington Brewing - Guelph, ON

FOOD
Rodney’s Oyster House
Leslieville Cheese Market
Sassy Lamb Specialty Cupcakes
Sunnyside Cafe

MUSIC
Chris Chambers Band
Mike Daley Trio
Diesel Dog
Mr. Rick & The Biscuits
Last edited by GregClow on Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Publican

Post by Publican »

I e-maiedl Jed asking how many tickets you get for the $35 and he got right back to me. The $35 covers admission and a tasting glass.

Greg, where did you hear that Tree Brewing is going to attend? It's not listed on the beer fest website

Publican

Post by Publican »

I should have added that beer samples are $1

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I won't be here :( However, I will be here so I suppose that's okay.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Publican wrote:Greg, where did you hear that Tree Brewing is going to attend? It's not listed on the beer fest website
The list above came from the press release, sent out by Curt at the Griffin yesterday.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Publican wrote:I e-maiedl Jed asking how many tickets you get for the $35 and he got right back to me. The $35 covers admission and a tasting glass.
Seriously? $35 just to get in?

-Josh

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

detritus wrote:
Publican wrote:I e-maiedl Jed asking how many tickets you get for the $35 and he got right back to me. The $35 covers admission and a tasting glass.

-Josh
Hopefully it keeps the douche factor down
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

icemachine wrote:
detritus wrote:

-Josh
Hopefully it keeps the douche factor down
Douche Factor? I think it'll keep any type of "factor"crowd down.

Publican

Post by Publican »

I checked the Hart House Beer fest website and it was $35 last year, I didn't attend, can any bartowellers that attended let me know if the cost included beer tickets?

The cheapest ticket to the Toronto Festival is $40 but includes 5 tickets which may buy one or two samples plus you have to put up with seeing the mainstream brewers there.

There are directions on the Session website that have directions from Union Station. Iwouldn't use those as the area around Union Station will be part of the security zone for the pain in the butt (for downtown residents) G-20 Summit.

I'm still planning on attending because Tree Brewery is going to be there ( hope they bring the Hophead) plus I'd like to try the Thorbury Village Cider as I've never had thier cider that's in the LCBO.

I'll be coming from the Long Branch Loop and the TTC's Trip Planner says it will take 31 minutes. I don't know how they can be accurate with the time on a streetcar as it has to compete with the traffic. A few summers ago I decided to see how long it would take for the streetcar to travel from Long Branch to Downtown. I abandonned it in Parkdale as the traffic was a nightmare. For this fest I'll leave 1 1/2 to 2 hours early or take the subway to Keele and the Route 80 Queensway South.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Publican wrote:I checked the Hart House Beer fest website and it was $35 last year, I didn't attend, can any bartowellers that attended let me know if the cost included beer tickets?

The cheapest ticket to the Toronto Festival is $40 but includes 5 tickets which may buy one or two samples plus you have to put up with seeing the mainstream brewers there.

There are directions on the Session website that have directions from Union Station. Iwouldn't use those as the area around Union Station will be part of the security zone for the pain in the butt (for downtown residents) G-20 Summit.

I'm still planning on attending because Tree Brewery is going to be there ( hope they bring the Hophead) plus I'd like to try the Thorbury Village Cider as I've never had thier cider that's in the LCBO.

I'll be coming from the Long Branch Loop and the TTC's Trip Planner says it will take 31 minutes. I don't know how they can be accurate with the time on a streetcar as it has to compete with the traffic. A few summers ago I decided to see how long it would take for the streetcar to travel from Long Branch to Downtown. I abandonned it in Parkdale as the traffic was a nightmare. For this fest I'll leave 1 1/2 to 2 hours early or take the subway to Keele and the Route 80 Queensway South.
I wouldn't count on the TTC being very reliable that weekend due to the G20. If you can get to Keele station, it's only about a 20 minute walk down Parkside to the event.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Do you suppose there'll be any special one-offs or rare brews featured at this fest?

Also, glad to see this is co-sponsored by my compatriots in the Greens!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

There are a few more details on Troy's blog:

http://greatcanadianpubs.blogspot.com/2 ... -beer.html

Sounds like it will be a fun event, and I'm planning on heading down. Should be a nice walk through High Park from the Bloor-Danforth line too!

JB

Post by JB »

This reminds me of a day I spent outside Munich, walking through the trails to get to Andechs brewery. We must have walked for nearly an hour before lo and behold, the brewery (monastery?!) was upon us. If anyone else has been here before I think you'll know the kind of experience I'm talking about. Pretty magical dare I say.

I've been dreaming of the day I get to do it again - perhaps a walk through High Park and ending up at Sunnyside with a ton of great beers would be as close as one could get to such an experience in North America.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it!

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

JB wrote:This reminds me of a day I spent outside Munich, walking through the trails to get to Andechs brewery. We must have walked for nearly an hour before lo and behold, the brewery (monastery?!) was upon us. If anyone else has been here before I think you'll know the kind of experience I'm talking about. Pretty magical dare I say.

I've been dreaming of the day I get to do it again - perhaps a walk through High Park and ending up at Sunnyside with a ton of great beers would be as close as one could get to such an experience in North America.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it!
Although I bet Andechs didn't charge you $35 plus $1/sample.

-Josh

Griffin Gastropub

Post by Griffin Gastropub »

We're capping at 25 breweries. Almost there!!

Amsterdam Brewing
Barley Days
Black Oak Brewing
Beau’s All Natural Brewing
Brick Brewery
Cameron’s Brewing
Duggan's Brewery
F&M Brewery
Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery
Great Lakes Brewery
Hockley Valley Brewing Co.
McAuslan Brewing
Mill Street Brewery
Muskoka Cottage Brewery
Niagaras Best Brewing Company
Nickel Brook Beers
Propellor Brewery
Thornbury Village Cidery
Trafalger Brewing
Unibroue
Wellington Brewing

We've had extended debate about price, but feel that with a maximum capacity of 2500-3000 that we've priced ourselves properly.

If you're in the industry (restaurant/pub owner or manager) we're offering a good discount. Please call the festival office at 705-646-0706 for details. Alternatively we will respond to any and all emails. curt@thegriffinpub.ca

We're hoping SESSION will become a fixture of Ontario Craft Beer Week, and thus are working towards long-term success. All comments & suggestions welcome.

See you in a month!
The Griffin GastroPub
705-646-0438 (pub)
705-646-0706 (office)
866-532-9366 (fax)
Twitter : @GriffinGastro