Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

ATTN : R&R Re: Samichlaus

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

ATTN : R&R Re: Samichlaus

Post by mintjellie »

I spoke to a woman named Rebecca who handles advertising and labelling complaints, and according to her the product is still allowed to be sold in Ontario and still available through private order sales. The LCBO doesn't stock it anymore for "commercial" reasons, as the National Post article states, but apparently you haven't actually been banned from importing and selling it.

If you haven't called AGCO to discuss the situation yet. She said something about the newspaper article being inaccurate.

Or maybe shes the left hand and doesn't know what the right hand has done.

Have you phoned AGCO to discuss and clarify the situation yet?

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

mintjellie wrote:I spoke to a woman named Rebecca who handles advertising and labelling complaints, and according to her the product is still allowed to be sold in Ontario and still available through private order sales. The LCBO doesn't stock it anymore for "commercial" reasons, as the National Post article states, but apparently you haven't actually been banned from importing and selling it.

If you haven't called AGCO to discuss the situation yet. She said something about the newspaper article being inaccurate.

I have two documents from R&R that I will be posting on my blog in due time that address this issue - short answer to your question, yes, they have talked with the AGCO.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

The article in question.

FWIW, I think the guy on the label looks more like the Dos Equis "Most Interesting Man In The World" rather than Santa.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Pub Style wrote:
mintjellie wrote:I spoke to a woman named Rebecca who handles advertising and labelling complaints, and according to her the product is still allowed to be sold in Ontario and still available through private order sales. The LCBO doesn't stock it anymore for "commercial" reasons, as the National Post article states, but apparently you haven't actually been banned from importing and selling it.

I have two documents from R&R that I will be posting on my blog in due time that address this issue - short answer to your question, yes, they have talked with the AGCO.
So the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at AGCO, basically.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

mintjellie wrote:So the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at AGCO, basically.
Actually, that quote from me in the article was meant to refer to the AGCO and the LCBO as the left & right hands - i.e. one may be enforcing policies that the other isn't aware of, or vice versa.

But the same thing can happen just within the AGCO itself. Or within the LCBO itself, for that matter. We all know from past experience that supposed policies are often enforced or not enforced at different times by the same organization, with no apparent rhyme or reason.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I was referring to a phone conversation I had with an AGCO employee about the national post article.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

So Samichlaus gets the same PC treatment Delirium Tremens suffered. Nanny has just told you you haven't the intelligence to make adult decisions - and that she holds you to have child-like tendencies which must be corrected. Nanny's PC agenda is right and your opinion doesn't matter.

They fail to expand on this theory of the Santa Claus image being a threat to children on a state controlled substance children have no access to.

My God we're so developmentally retarded politically and culturally in this over regulated backwater :roll:

Another example that proves political correctness is a mental disorder.
Last edited by pootz on Thu May 27, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

pootz wrote: They fail to expand on this theory of the Santa Claus image being a threat to children on a state controlled substance children have no access to.
I wonder about this too. It is the same question I had about the skull bottle of vodka in the other thread. If the LCBO employees are the only ones people in the province skilled enough to spot a fake ID, which is one of the reasons why a corner store can't sell booze, then what does it matter what type of booze they sell. I mean supposed this beer had an actual picture of santa on it, along with Rudolph and a bunch of elves. Shouldn't those LCBO workers be able to keep it out of the hands of minors, isn't that why we have them?

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
pootz wrote: They fail to expand on this theory of the Santa Claus image being a threat to children on a state controlled substance children have no access to.
I wonder about this too. It is the same question I had about the skull bottle of vodka in the other thread. If the LCBO employees are the only ones people in the province skilled enough to spot a fake ID, which is one of the reasons why a corner store can't sell booze, then what does it matter what type of booze they sell. I mean supposed this beer had an actual picture of santa on it, along with Rudolph and a bunch of elves. Shouldn't those LCBO workers be able to keep it out of the hands of minors, isn't that why we have them?
Yea, and we all know that children hate little penguins.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I think their logic is that it would appeal to kids on the shelves of parent's homes. However, I'm not a parent but I wouldn't want the gov't telling me that I would be unable to keep booze out of my kids hands with a santa label on it.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Cass wrote:I think their logic is that it would appeal to kids on the shelves of parent's homes. However, I'm not a parent but I wouldn't want the gov't telling me that I would be unable to keep booze out of my kids hands with a santa label on it.
Surely some of the beers we get on private order have images on which could technically be deemed as 'attractive' to children? There seems to be no consistency here. We have a retail system that sells Caramilk liquer, which would appeal to kids, but not something whose name is only understood as Santa Claus by children fluent in German.

After travelling extensively I can honsestly say I've never come across a liquor retail system that has laws as byzantine as the LCBO's. Combined with its strange lack of communication with the AGCO I feel like I'm living a Kafka novel.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Cass wrote:I think their logic is that it would appeal to kids on the shelves of parent's homes. However, I'm not a parent but I wouldn't want the gov't telling me that I would be unable to keep booze out of my kids hands with a santa label on it.
I'm pretty sure that this is the flawed logic that the LCBO is using.

I'm also pretty sure that you can go into any LCBO and come up with a bunch of other labels that have "kid friendly" aspects to it.

Little Penguin
Caramilk Cream Cooler

off the top of my head.

The "policy" of policing labels in the LCBO is so clouded it's absurd. And I agree with you that it becomes the parents responsibility to keep it out of the children's hands, not the LCBO. Unless the government wants to start eliminating all other products sold in Ontario that could be hazardous to children's heath. I'm looking at tobacco here to start.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

If I were them I'd be more concerned about kids potentially pounding back a Caramilk mudslide.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

sprague11 wrote:If I were them I'd be more concerned about kids potentially pounding back a Caramilk mudslide.
Let's not mention the juice box containers of booze and ready made shooters-in-a-glass and cold shots of beer ... all the happy face packaging that will fit in a lunch pail, back pack or glove box...not like the likker monopoly is out to promote booze or sell any ferkrissake :roll:
Last edited by pootz on Thu May 27, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Just so we're clear, this is an AGCO decision, not the LCBO.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!