Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Returning Empties TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Returning Empties TBS

Post by Belgian »

Since I have a billion different bottles all different heights, I organize them - Bombers and wine bottles together, then cans then all 500ml/330ml bottles together.

I give them a list of totals. They seem to apopreciate this, since it saves them time.

YMMV.
In Beerum Veritas

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Belgian wrote:Since I have a billion different bottles all different heights, I organize them - Bombers and wine bottles together, then cans then all 500ml/330ml bottles together.

I give them a list of totals. They seem to apopreciate this, since it saves them time.

YMMV.
I get one of two people:
1) the person who takes everything. I even saw them take a Life Brand soda bottle.
2) the person who says he has no way to know if I paid deposit on the bottles and then asks me if I want to buy any "real beer".

Funnily, the second person never seems to question my deposit on wine and other bottles.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I live in an "up and coming" area of Ottawa, so the employees aren't surprised by anything that looks different. Never had a problem.

carguy

Post by carguy »

I have found that I get better service if I've done some pre-sorting as well, rather than a heaping blue box of bottles. But I also get the "want any real beer" line as well. So I tell them as soon as they start selling some, I'll start buying there.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

presort and have stuff counted and 90% of the time the staff will really appreciate it
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

carguy wrote: But I also get the "want any real beer" line as well. So I tell them as soon as they start selling some, I'll start buying there.
Wow, I would rip right into any TBS knob who said that to me. What a joke! Is PC Cerveza one of the real beers they're referring to? :roll: Good on ya for putting them in their place!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

A: "Is the real beer place far from here?"

The point of listing the totals was not to confront, but to offer help. Which I don't mind. I was getting short-changed way too often, for all the hassle of making the special trip.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:
carguy wrote: But I also get the "want any real beer" line as well. So I tell them as soon as they start selling some, I'll start buying there.
Wow, I would rip right into any TBS knob who said that to me. What a joke! Is PC Cerveza one of the real beers they're referring to? :roll: Good on ya for putting them in their place!

Uhh Mikey boy, you know PC Cervesa is real, but it doesn't hold a candle to Stonewall Lime Light. :wink:
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Uhh Mikey boy, you know PC Cervesa is real, but it doesn't hold a candle to Stonewall Lime Light. :wink:
I actually saw this at the Richmond LCBO today, and was reminded of our gourmet tasting a couple weeks ago. :P
Belgian wrote: A: "Is the real beer place far from here?"
LOL!

Grey

Post by Grey »

Anyone else ever knowingly win with returns?

I returned 18 bottles, 2 bombers, and 6 wine bottles and got $6.10. Nice discount on the 24 Trois Pistoles (only other reason to go to TBS).

I don't feel too bad about not saying anything since 24 Trois Pistoles only saves $1.80 compared to the cost of a 6 pack (yet you save $6.55 on 24 with the other Unibroue beers).

Back on topic, I've been sorting my returns for a while now and have the expected amount in my head... definitely helps to sort.

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

I don't understand why most people wouldn't sort their empties, not only for the courtesy aspect, but also to have an idea of what you are owed. It's a wonder what items have been discovered in empties returns when there's a mixture of cans, bottle, wine bottles, etc, all tossed together in a plastic grocery bag.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Grey wrote:Anyone else ever knowingly win with returns?
Well the last time they gave me more than my clearly written-out list asked for. There's only so much caring that is possible.
In Beerum Veritas

m0ej0e

Post by m0ej0e »

I know a fair number of people who work at The Beer Store in my home town. I know from talking with them that if you sort out your empties they are really greatfull. But I also know that like at any job you will get your nice CSRs and your not so nice ones.

I have found that a large % of the errors made by the employees, be it in short changing or something of the sort is usually due to human error. I know, and I can only speak for myself an no other, but there have never been any sort of these on purpose. But I do agree with the lack of Micro beer issue.

I can also say that if you are nice, they may even offer to order some beer in for yourself. Yes they can do this, but they have to go out of their way in order to do so. (The orders are somewhat controlled, if an item is ordered sometimes they have to commit to a months worth of it). I have even heard an employee bring stoke from one store to another for a customer. Granted I live in a small town, and this does not happen very often.

Just my 2 cents.