Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Interesting MILL STREET in bottles

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Interesting MILL STREET in bottles

Post by Belgian »

at the LCBO Summerhill: singles of:

Lemon tea, Betelgeuse, and Roggenbier. At least you can't say these are average Ontario brewer styles.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I grabbed the Roggenbier while popping into the Richmond LCBO today, and was pleased to see not only that little treat but also Schneider Hopfen Weisse, Brakspear Triple, and Hockley Black & Tan. Should be a good weekend! :)

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Belgian wrote:at the LCBO Summerhill: singles of:

Lemon tea, Betelgeuse, and Roggenbier. At least you can't say these are average Ontario brewer styles.
Doh, I was just there tonight to pick up many Hopfen Weisse. Was surprised to see the Roggenbier, but didn't hunt around enough to see the Betelguese.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

When did these become available?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

The Roggenbier and the Lemon Tea (in cans) have both been available at their retail store in the brewpub for at least a couple of weeks, but the Betelgeuse is news to me. For the sake of variety I really hope these become regularly (or at least seasonally) available at the LCBO - these are the kinds of beers we need on the shelf to help expand Ontario's palate.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Guy at my local LCBO said they're seasonals.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

A product search on the LCBO website turned up the Lemon Tea (in both bottle and can) and the Roggenbier, but not the Betelgeuse. Interesting...

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

This is cool. I'm gonna search these two beers out. Thanks! Word to my momma!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I thought that Betelgeuse smelled and tasted great, but would have benefited from more carbonation. I'm the only reviewer to find it undercarbonated, but I'm also the first review for the bottled version. Every other reviewer had draught.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Picked up my Betelgeuse and Lemon Tea (passed on the Roggenbier this time) at Summerhill today. Big step for Mill St. to put out some seasonal singles in some varying styles. I hope this is something we see more of from them.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

ritzkiss wrote:Picked up my Betelgeuse and Lemon Tea (passed on the Roggenbier this time) at Summerhill today. Big step for Mill St. to put out some seasonal singles in some varying styles. I hope this is something we see more of from them.

Absolutely.

cattersley

Post by cattersley »

I was at the brewery while in the city working OT, got into the parking lot and someone stopped me and opened my passenger door smiling. He asked how long I would be because I could have his 1 hr parking voucher, he was leaving early. Nice people still left in Toronto eh. Anywho, picked up the Lemon Tea, and the Roggenbier, both fantastic, Mill St. has to expand sales of these jems. I didn't see this Betelgeuse though. Anyone out there see it around Durham region?

Cheers all!

- cattersley.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

The Betelgeuse doesn't even show up in the LCBO's inventory :o

Is it possible that Mill Street, when sending out the Roggenbier and Lemon Tea, accidentally put in some cases of Betelgeuse?

Now that I remember, the Betelgeuse I bought wouldn't scan when I brought it to the register. The cashier gave up getting it to work and scanned the Roggenbier bottle a second time.

Was this never meant to go on LCBO shelves in the first place?

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

FWIW, my Lemon Tea cans wouldn't scan either, much to the ire of the woman in line behind me.

I was with my son ("hey kid, wanna go see an old train station?"), so I only perused the seasonal section at Summerhill, which had a Mill St end display opposite. That's where the Lemon Tea bottles, cans and Roggenbier was. They must have hidden the Betelgeuse somewhere else.

I've never tried it, so I don't know what I'm missing. Hmph - I thought it was a tripel until I just now looked it up.
Last edited by sstackho on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

sstackho wrote:FWIW, my Lemon Tea cans wouldn't scan either, much to the ire of the woman in line behind me.

I was with my son ("hey kid, wanna go see an old train station?"), so I only perused the seasonal section at Summerhill, which had a Mill St end display opposite. That's where the Lemon Tea bottles, cans and Roggenbier was. They must have hid the Betelgeuse somewhere else.

I've never tried it, so I don't know what I'm missing.
That end display is where I got the Betelgeuse and it seemed to scan fine so perhaps it will make its way into the system?