Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

camping beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jaymack

camping beer

Post by jaymack »

Spent most of the week camping and was wondering what others take along for roughing it in the woods.

Took a couple bottles of homebrew and Black Oak Saison but it's easier when you have cans so the bulk of the cooler was Denison's, Creemore Keller, and a couple of Mill St Lemon Tea ale.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

To be honest... Blue.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I don't normally camp but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

Actually that's not true. I don't camp and I've never drank Dos Equis.

I don't intend to start with either. :P

I'd suspect cans are the best option and depending on what sort of camping (access to fridge or ice?) I'd stick with beer that tastes okay warm-ish. English ales perhaps. If you've got a fridge or ice then everything is fair game in my opinion. If I camped. Which I don't.
lister

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Bag wine and cans. You're already roughing it so don't expect to enjoy any fancy glassware.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Tapsucker wrote:Bag wine and cans. You're already roughing it so don't expect to enjoy any fancy glassware.

You can still enjoy quality products without the glass ware. Why lower your standards simply because you are camping.

I've never understood the "...Well, I normally hate this product, and would never normally buy it, but since I am camping, I think I'll buy it anyway, even thought I know I don't like it....." attitude.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Flood

Post by Flood »

czechvar
beer up

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Cans of Fuller's London Porter, Bass, Muskoka HefeWeissbier, and a bottle of Jim Beam Black.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:Bag wine and cans. You're already roughing it so don't expect to enjoy any fancy glassware.

You can still enjoy quality products without the glass ware. Why lower your standards simply because you are camping.

I've never understood the "...Well, I normally hate this product, and would never normally buy it, but since I am camping, I think I'll buy it anyway, even thought I know I don't like it....." attitude.
That's not what I was suggesting, Well, OK I admit, the bag wine will probably be shite. Fortunately there is a growing list of good canned beer. I'd like to see more in cans and wider distribution of the good stuff, but we can only dream...

So here is my short list of recommendations.

Denisons Wheat
Creemore Keller
Creemore Pislner
Mill St. Lemon Tea (I'm still warming up to this, but I think it's a keeper)
Great Lakes Devil's Pale
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

If it's car camping then I don't see why your choice of beer would be any different than if you were at home. A big cooler with plenty of ice and you should be all set. The only thing that would impact my choice would be whether it was expected to be hot or cool. On a hot weekend like this one I'd probably like to bring Creemore Kellerbier or Victory Prima Pils or some wheat beer. We've gone camping on Victoria Day weekends where it's been close to zero, and then something like a DdC Aphrodisiaque or Mill St. Coffee Porter would be good.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I find Rogue Dead Guy makes a good camping beer.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Steamwhistle, Muskoka Light, limes, gin.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

If the trip involves canoeing to get there, then Kahlua, Baileys, vodka, rum, etc. Liqours and liquers poured into plastic bottles. Beer takes up too much space, even canned. It's ridiculous to bring it when you're canoeing to your campsite.

So basically, liquers to mix with coffee in the morning, and liqours to mix with "juice" made from powdered crystals.

If it's car camping, I've brought cans of London Pride and London Porter along with me. Never bottles though. Too much of a pain in the ass. I like the load I carry out to be a lot smaller than the load I carry in. Cans aren't just lighter, they also take up less space because you can crush them.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Last time I went "up north" to the French River area, I rented a cottage for a week. It isn't camping, but it was vacation time and this is what I brought.

Unibroue mixed 12
12 Steamwhistle
12 Mill Street Stock Ale
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I went to Killbear for 4 days last week and took bottles of Southern Tier and tall cans of Neustadt Scottish and Headstrong. Plus one bottle of Russian Gun. I went to Cooper Street on Wednesday to get some Black Oak Pale, but it was completely sold out out. Probably my favourite camping beer.
Car camping makes it easy to bring anything. No need to trade quality for convenience (i.e.bottles and cans) because, at Killbear anyway, they happily take your beer bottles, wine bottles etc. Leave your empties and your a "Friend of the Park". I"m at best friend status now...

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

pilsner urquell and hockley black and tan would be my current camping choices