Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer recommendations anyone?

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I think I understand what you're getting at here.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

mintjellie wrote:Sorry about the misunderstanding. I think I understand what you're getting at here.
No problem. Maybe APA isn't my thing. I usually favour full bodied, complex beers that are typically higher on the ABV, like IPAs, Barley Wines, Tripels, Quads or anything that's bold in taste rather than extremely subtle. Anything from FM that you can recommand along those lines?

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Lukie wrote:
mintjellie wrote:Sorry about the misunderstanding. I think I understand what you're getting at here.
No problem. Maybe APA isn't my thing. I usually favour full bodied, complex beers that are typically higher on the ABV, like IPAs, Barley Wines, Tripels, Quads or anything that's bold in taste rather than extremely subtle. Anything from FM that you can recommand along those lines?
Smashbomb and Netherworld when they both hit LCBO shelves. I can understand not liking Hoptical if you want something really hoppy. It has a nice hop flavour and aroma, but it isn't extremely bold and doesn't have a whole lot of bitterness.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

mintjellie wrote:
Lukie wrote:
Smashbomb and Netherworld when they both hit LCBO shelves. I can understand not liking Hoptical if you want something really hoppy. It has a nice hop flavour and aroma, but it isn't extremely bold and doesn't have a whole lot of bitterness.
Any idea when your aforementioned beers will be available at the BO?

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Lukie wrote:
mintjellie wrote:
Lukie wrote: No problem. Maybe APA isn't my thing. I usually favour full bodied, complex beers that are typically higher on the ABV, like IPAs, Barley Wines, Tripels, Quads or anything that's bold in taste rather than extremely subtle. Anything from FM that you can recommand along those lines?
Any idea when your aforementioned beers will be available at the BO?
Netherworld should be in by the end of summer.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

TS - be sure to add McEwan's Scotch Ale to your list, if you didn't have the pleasure yet. Just had it and I thought it was fantastic. Lots of roasty and complex flavours. Yum yum.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Paulaner Salvator
Sinha/Lion Stout
Fullers London Porter
Mill Street Coffee Porter
Kostritzer Schwarzbier

look for these.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

mintjellie wrote:Paulaner Salvator
Sinha/Lion Stout
Fullers London Porter
Kostritzer Schwarzbier

look for these.

I have to agree with Sinha. I'm not a fan of stouts at all, but this one won me over. To my tongue, its much better than the Russian Gun Imperial Stout the St. Ambroise Russian Imperial Stout and the Oatmeal Stout. At $1.95 per bottle, its an unbelievable value esp. for stout lovers.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Lukie wrote:
mintjellie wrote:Paulaner Salvator
Sinha/Lion Stout
Fullers London Porter
Kostritzer Schwarzbier

look for these.

I have to agree with Sinha. I'm not a fan of stouts at all, but this one won me over. To my tongue, its much better than the Russian Gun Imperial Stout the St. Ambroise Russian Imperial Stout and the Oatmeal Stout. At $1.95 per bottle, its an unbelievable value esp. for stout lovers.
The St. Ambroise was already drinking a lot better when I had a bottle a bottle almost 2 months ago vs. when it first was released.

Number8

Post by Number8 »

I'll definitely look out for the McEwan's and the recs mintjellie gave tomorrow. They sound real good.

I thought about getting the Sinha Stout many times although I remain hesitant since it seems that NOBODY buys the stuff.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Number8 wrote:I'll definitely look out for the McEwan's and the recs mintjellie gave tomorrow. They sound real good.

I thought about getting the Sinha Stout many times although I remain hesitant since it seems that NOBODY buys the stuff.
Nobody buys Liberty Ale at my store. Doesn't mean it isn't good. Heck, based on that analysis, the best beers we sell are Bud Light Lime and Coors Shite. Cause, ya' know, everybody buys those........so they must be the best.........
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Number8

Post by Number8 »

Now now, suckapie. I'm just looking for some recommendations and I appreciate the responses so far.

So get the fuck out of this thread unless you have recs, BUT I really don't think that is a good idea since your username is STEELBACKGUY and you have a fucking weeaboo avatar.

Go watch some beyblade, drink some of your fantastic brews with Frank D'Angelo's one dimensional sounds of Jazz playing in the background and call it a life.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Number8 wrote:Now now, suckapie. I'm just looking for some recommendations and I appreciate the responses so far.

So get the fuck out of this thread unless you have recs, BUT I really don't think that is a good idea since your username is STEELBACKGUY and you have a fucking weeaboo avatar.

Go watch some beyblade, drink some of your fantastic brews with Frank D'Angelo's one dimensional sounds of Jazz playing in the background and call it a life.
Pssssst, his name is more in the ironic sense. Of course, had you done anything resembling a hint of research on the board you MAY have come to that conclusion.

Edit - sorry your thread got off the rails 8. I recommend a very fresh King Pilsner.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I recommend you start drinking heavily.

Sometimes, if no one is looking, I'm quite partial to Zywiec. You should try that.
saintjohnswort.ca

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Number8 wrote:Now now, suckapie. I'm just looking for some recommendations and I appreciate the responses so far.

I'd quit with the personal attacks while you're ahead there bucko.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!