Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

341 beers. 42 countries. 1 destination.

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

biegaman wrote: We're quick to blame the LCBO for not believing there's a market for craft and niche beers but, realistically, that is more reflective of the problem than it is the cause of it.
I respectfully submit that that is a crock. Our pathetic legacy of 20th century brewing industry in this province is a symptom of restrictive trade practices by government and monopolization of sales by government. The history of brewing here has been a reaction to that primal force.

First Government trashed the small private brewer with a malicious prohibition act, then after repeal, a government liquor monopoly was born. In a monopoly only monopolists flourish...this was the cause and effect of the corporate amalgamation of local breweries into the the 3 big megalith national breweries in the 60s-80s (the era of the stubbie and 300 brand bland sameness). Provincial liquor control outlets had about 10 imports (Urquell, Lowenbreau, Watneys, McEwans etc. in varying degrees of poor condition) Independent local brewers were discouraged by the regulatory costs and distribution-sales networks run by the big nationals or Government. Ask Jim Brickman.

Today's loosening of the restrictive trade practices that allow indie craft brewers to take a paltry share of the beer market were gained by pioneer crafters fighting the system tooth and nail for a small niche and, later, public demand pressured for more loosening of trade restriction as the US micro and import market created demands for similar products here.
For the average Ontario beer drinker, the concept of mixing and matching, of going out and, for the affordable cost of $2/can or whatever, being able to experiment and try different products, products that maybe he's been curious about but didn't want to plop down the $40 for a stale 2-4 of before.

Oh my! We're now allowed to mix and match! Ontario beer drinkers need to get out more....this was happening in Quebec super markets decades ago. Europeans and Americans rightfully chuckle at the way we accept government intrusion in personal choice and alcoholic beverage consumerism.

To me, being thrilled over such small accommodations in restrictive trade practice is like a slave thanking master for the crumbs that fall from his table.
The LCBO is encouraging people to go out and expand their palates and educated themselves about different styles. While the products they offer are still, generally speaking, pretty lackluster, this is a very positive development - and it's precisely the kind of systemic change that is needed to alter the culture of beer and the mentality of beer drinkers in the province. <snip>

At least now the horses are being led to water...
Again - being thrilled over such small accommodations in restrictive market practice is like a slave thanking master for the crumbs that fall from his table. We mandate our government, it does not rule us...particularly in our personal choices. Does this province have such low self-esteem we accept this submissive posture to bureaucratic oppression of consumers. We are among the last hold outs of this out dated liquor retail/import monopoly system.

Also again: government concession should not drive consumer demand curves, people drive demand curves to which both government and private sector respond to.
Aventinus rules!

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Pootz,

I submitted that post in a moment of optimism. For the record, I completely agree with what you've stated above - actually, I'm writing a paper right now on the LCBO monopoly and how much of the Ontario wine industry would not have succeeded without it. I share the same sentiment of frustration about how behind our retail system is compared to those in Quebec and parts of the States, but I still insist campaigns like this are (baby)steps in the right direction.

...whether they'll amount to much changes in our lifetime, who knows. Although, I'm still impressed with how much progress has been made in the last couple years, at least here in Toronto. Unlike a few years ago, I can actually find many reasons now to be optimistic about the development of a competitive beer scene in this city. But again, whether that can be compatible with the government's tot red tape, that remains to be seen.