Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

341 beers. 42 countries. 1 destination.

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TJ

341 beers. 42 countries. 1 destination.

Post by TJ »

Buffalo!

I mean: LCBO!

Looks like they're pushing beer as of today.

http://www.lcbo.com/main/en.shtml

Does the flipbook run incredibly slowly for anyone else?

notdan

Post by notdan »

Definitely noticed this today. Got way excited by the giant display of Mill Street Organic and Stock Ale.

I actually saw a couple young-ish guys going through the store with the flyer and picking up whatever they saw from it. Nice to see people interested at least. Here's hoping they like Creemore Kellerbier more than Estrella.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Its funny how these flyers are making people come in and try these beers. Like they've been living under a rock until these things came out. Whatever works I guess.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Pushing a product works. It's why gas stations ask customers if they would like a car wash. It's why chain restaurant servers ask if you would like a bowl of gravy to dip those fries in.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:Pushing a product works. It's why gas stations ask customers if they would like a car wash. It's why chain restaurant servers ask if you would like a bowl of gravy to dip those fries in.

Well, we can't all be intelligent consumers. Let the sheep be sheep.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

That full page plug for Czechvar looks awesome.

The back page with Mill St. Lemon Tea right beside Miller Chill is interesting. Maybe people will prefer the craft option when it comes to citrus flavoured beer.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

mintjellie wrote:That full page plug for Czechvar looks awesome.

The back page with Mill St. Lemon Tea right beside Miller Chill is interesting. Maybe people will prefer the craft option when it comes to citrus flavoured beer.
I have the weird feeling that it doesn't matter if you can get them to prefer the craft options initially. Getting their attention is the first step.
saintjohnswort.ca

TJ

Post by TJ »

It's a step up from last year's Beer Selector (which they seem to have dropped from their site altogether) and there's a fairly decent representation of Ontario craft stuff, so hopefully they'll benefit from this push a little.

The tasting events are a real mixed bag. On the one hand you've got some Muskoka, Beau's and the taste of Belgium 6 pack, etc., and then you've got a lot of Rickard's, Keith's and Budweiser type stuff which, really...how has anyone who drinks beer not tried those at some point? And why does Tiger Beer seem to show up repeatedly?

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

All I get is this when I try to view a flipbook:

"Please register "www.lcbo.ca" domain, publish and re-upload your files. The domain name must be registered before publishing your book"

EDIT: working now.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

That Taste of Belgium 6-pack is a real letdown.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

It certainly is THE destination if you want a wide variety of 2nd world welfare lagers sold at import prices or emasculated tinned EU or Mol-coor-Batt beer products in the cooler while local unpasteurized craft beer festers in the aisle :lol:

The seasonal releases have been decent but the quantities of the better seasonals are insufficient....as is the selection

It takes too much BS for agents to get an new import on the shelves and many great import brewers are just not interested in the hassle.

Other than that It's all beer promo by the BO.

BTW: Yes I do have a right to bitch:
A) it's a forced unionized state retail monopoly which I resent dealing with
B) I pay the tab for this government import-retail ineptitude.

Why must I drive to the US to get Micros and imports I want unless the real purpose of the retail/import monopoly is to be a form of bureaucratic protectionism for the 3 corporate brewers operating in their jurisdiction?
Last edited by pootz on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Gedge wrote:That Taste of Belgium 6-pack is a real letdown.
Not if you like the boozy sting of candi sugar. :lol:

Then again the BO has poor customer feed back loops and just get in a rut ordering the same crap time after time. For the Province's number one retailer of craft, micro and import beers they have ZERO interface with the wider craft beer community which they presume they service.
Aventinus rules!

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Having just heard an advertisement for this on the radio, I noticed something very positive and promising about it all: the extent to which they promote mixing and matching singles.

We're quick to blame the LCBO for not believing there's a market for craft and niche beers but, realistically, that is more reflective of the problem than it is the cause of it. It wasn't long ago that The Beer Store was the only game in town for beer. It has for years peddled a small core of similar brands and, until relatively recently, never gave consumers the ability to mix and match (or even buy in small quantity). Couple that with the old-fashioned stores where you couldn't actually see the product, but had to order off the board, and it's clear that the Ontario system of sale and distribution has supported and ingrained branding, discouraged experimenting with new beers and promoted a culture of drinking that is not conducive to the kinds of products, marketing and values that craft brewers endorse.

For the average Ontario beer drinker, the concept of mixing and matching, of going out and, for the affordable cost of $2/can or whatever, being able to experiment and try different products, products that maybe he's been curious about but didn't want to plop down the $40 for a stale 2-4 of before. The LCBO is encouraging people to go out and expand their palates and educated themselves about different styles. While the products they offer are still, generally speaking, pretty lackluster, this is a very positive development - and it's precisely the kind of systemic change that is needed to alter the culture of beer and the mentality of beer drinkers in the province. These changes, in turn, are what will likely support of local brewers and the LCBOs seasonal releases. If anything, they are imperative if the latter are to succeed.

At least now the horses are being led to water...

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

TJ wrote: Buffalo!

I mean: LCBO!
I laughed really hard when reading this. The plight of the Ontario craft beer drinker has never been summarized so succinctly.

carguy

Post by carguy »

What annoys me the most is they claim "341 Beers" but how many stores have that many? Or even half that many? I was in an LCBO on the weekend in Morrisburg, and they, no word of a lie, had ten brands of beer, the most exoitc of them being Heineken. It was pathetic. There was a Beer Store in the same plaza, so I went there, and much to my surprise, got a nine pack of Camerons Amber Ale. It was bottled on May 30th (yes, 2010), so was even reasonably fresh (and at least I know it was kept cool).