Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

TBW Homebrew Contest 2010

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

TBW Homebrew Contest 2010

Post by Bobsy »

Toronto’s first ever beer week is proud to announce its first ever homebrew competition.

A huge amount of the world’s best craft brewers started off with small batches at home, and we want to give recognition to the Canadians who are producing stunning ales and lagers out of their garages, basements and kitchens. Not only do we want to give recognition, but we also want to give prizes. Awards will be given to the winners of each style category, who will then advance to compete to be named the grand winner, with additional prizes for those finishing 2nd and 3rd overall. We’re working on putting together an extra special prize for the best in show.

Further info is available at the Toronto Beer Week website

Hopefully a number of you homebrewers will be onboard and want to take part. The major aim of TBW is to promote the craft beer scene in the city and province, and to attract more people to it, while improving the existing quality. Homebrewing is a damn fine pursuit, and we'd like to bring it more to the forefront of the public consciousness. After all, some of the finest beers I've had have come from fellow bartowellers who've made their own stuff at home!

We even made a special logo for you guys...

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

:D

ill be entering:

8A
16C
17A
17B
17D
17F
Last edited by matt7215 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

any other towels gonna enter?

anybody want to pick a style and compete for the bar towel crown in style _?

itd have to be something quick though, only a month and a half to go

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote::D

ill be entering:

16C
17A
17B
17D
17F (maybe)

Atta boy. Show those folks how we do in the southwest!!!

Your beer is some of the best I've had so good luck!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

ill be entering:

16C
17A
17B
17D
17F (maybe)
hmmm... we might have to throw down in 17D and/or 17F... have to see how that one is doing...

not sure what else we'll enter, but yeah, it'd need a farily quick turnaround if we wanted to add in a small BT style-specific component.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

grub wrote:

ill be entering:

16C
17A
17B
17D
17F (maybe)
hmmm... we might have to throw down in 17D and/or 17F... have to see how that one is doing...

not sure what else we'll enter, but yeah, it'd need a farily quick turnaround if we wanted to add in a small BT style-specific component.
ordinary bitter (8A) or mild (11A)?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

matt7215 wrote:ordinary bitter (8A) or mild (11A)?
i could probably be talked into either, but our last brewday was a mild and it's long gone now.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

grub wrote:
matt7215 wrote:ordinary bitter (8A) or mild (11A)?
i could probably be talked into either, but our last brewday was a mild and it's long gone now.
i usually brew a bitter this time of year so why dont we go with 8A?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

matt7215 wrote:i usually brew a bitter this time of year so why dont we go with 8A?
sure! anyone else gonna step up and take a stab at this one? i think matt has the edge - it'll be our first stab at the style.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

grub wrote:
matt7215 wrote:i usually brew a bitter this time of year so why dont we go with 8A?
sure! anyone else gonna step up and take a stab at this one? i think matt has the edge - it'll be our first stab at the style.
Luckily I've an Ordinary Bitter in Primary
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

grub wrote:
It's on...
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

It would be extremely cool if one of the Toronto breweries offered to brew and bottle the winning entry, a la Beaus and CABA. Maybe not realistic for this year, but something to consider for 2011.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Why dont you guys name the style for those of us to lazy to look it up.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

iguenard wrote:Why dont you guys name the style for those of us to lazy to look it up.
8A - Ordinary Bitter

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

inertiaboy wrote:It would be extremely cool if one of the Toronto breweries offered to brew and bottle the winning entry, a la Beaus and CABA. Maybe not realistic for this year, but something to consider for 2011.
I'm going to take a look into that because I'm sure someone would be interested. If nothing else its great PR for the brewery.