Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel! Microbrewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Steve Beaumont wrote:Duckdown, I wouldn't suggest intentionally aging any of the five special release beers, ie: keeping them for a year or more. That said, however, in cellar conditions none but the Blanche will have a problem lasting well up to 6 months and probably well beyond. (Being the lightest and most fragile, the Blanche is definitely at most risk and one I would keep refrigerated from purchase.) What you may notice in the flavoured beers, however, is a gradual ebbing of their intensity over time.

The Peche, Rigor and Solstice, as others have noted, will likely age quite well under suitable conditions.
I would add to that that the Dernière Volonté's delicate hops aromas are likely to diminish quickly, and thus reduce it's appreciable qualities.

Also, for all but the Rigor, I agree with Steven. I have aged the Rigor and Rochefort trappist ales on the occasion (I am lucky enough to have multiple vintages of the Rigor) and like it's belgian sister, it tends to integrate a little better and peak (IMHO) at a year of age. It shows a softer carbonation which I believe helps bring the subtle sugars to a better balance with the hop, and increases the alcohol perception, which I think is important to the style, though that is a matter of personal taste.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The IPA did hold up for the 6-8 months I had some around. I was surprised since I generally drink up my hoppy beers pretty quick, Derniere Volonte for example.

A good rule with most craft beer is if you're not willing to lose the beer don't forget it in your cellar more than 6 or 12 months, certainly not years and years. There's no guarantee even an Abt or Barley Wine wil necessarily get better for years despite the ABV - might hold together but could still lose the main character.
(eg. Trappist Abt/Quads are bottle-conditioned and reach prime condition already after even half a year in the bottle.)
In Beerum Veritas

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Belgian wrote:There's no guarantee even an Abt or Barley Wine wil necessarily get better for years despite the ABV - might hold together but could still lose the main character.
My rule of thumb is "if you need to wait for a beer to reach its peak, it was sold too early".

Beer should always be ready-to-drink.

But that doesnt mean one can't evolve in a way that suits your tastes. Madeira flavours are appreciable to some, and can make one become more interesting (eg Thomas Hardy's ale).

My two cents.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

OK, let's say I bought 24 Blanche du Paradis and 24 Aphrodisasque, every other variety I see myself buying far less than 24 of (but still some of every single kind, for reviewing and notes). Would my 24 Blanche & Aphrodite last say, 3 months? Pretty sure I'll massacre all of these rather fast, but most of them probably aren't session beers. I could drink the Blanche all night so those wont make it even a few weeks.

I was highly overexagerrating them even lasting 1 year, but a few months I could definitely imagine, with the stronger ones.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

duckdown wrote:OK, let's say I bought 24 Blanche du Paradis and 24 Aphrodisasque, every other variety I see myself buying far less than 24 of (but still some of every single kind, for reviewing and notes). Would my 24 Blanche & Aphrodite last say, 3 months? Pretty sure I'll massacre all of these rather fast, but most of them probably aren't session beers. I could drink the Blanche all night so those wont make it even a few weeks.

I was highly overexagerrating them even lasting 1 year, but a few months I could definitely imagine, with the stronger ones.
3 months shouldn't be an issue I don't think. I'd keep the Blanche du Paradis in the fridge though.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

duckdown wrote:OK, let's say I bought 24 Blanche du Paradis and 24 Aphrodisasque, every other variety I see myself buying far less than 24 of (but still some of every single kind, for reviewing and notes). Would my 24 Blanche & Aphrodite last say, 3 months? Pretty sure I'll massacre all of these rather fast, but most of them probably aren't session beers. I could drink the Blanche all night so those wont make it even a few weeks.

The way its looking I don't think we will be walking into a "chosen" store and seeing all 5 releases in quantity at the same time allowing you to one stop shop. I think you will see them spread out for whatever reason probably past September 15th and if you have to travel this will affect how much you buy and your storage or aging questions.

You could buy 24 B du P and probably have finished them waiting for the Aphrodite to arrive. Are you going to drive 30 minutes each way for just 2 Route des Epices? Or drive the 30 minutes for 24 Corne Du Diable and 2 days later drive again for 5 Derniere Volonte? Throw in those seasonals and the scenario gets pretty complicated.

What I am saying is if the "chosen" LC is not around the corner you might have to come up with a game plan balancing what releases you want, how many you want and do you want to and can you keep them very long. I figure if they are spread out then people will be buying more at one time meaning supply will go very quickly so no second chance.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

iguenard wrote: Beer should always be ready-to-drink.

But that doesnt mean one can't evolve in a way that suits your tastes. Madeira flavours are appreciable to some, and can make one become more interesting (eg Thomas Hardy's ale).
Dude I have some old Trois Pistoles that is now freaking amazing. It's not something I would do with every beer. And don't even mention Thomas Hardys Ale because it is a freakshow of a beer, not something to be regarded normally in any sense...
In Beerum Veritas

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Belgian wrote:Dude I have some old Trois Pistoles that is now freaking amazing. It's not something I would do with every beer.
Trois Pistoles is a cellar all-star. It seems to only get better and better and better. It may be the one beer I've never had any misses with aging. It also seems to hold up - and improve too - for longer periods than virtually everything else I've aged.

Sorry to thread jack, back to DDC...

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

biegaman wrote:
Belgian wrote:Dude I have some old Trois Pistoles that is now freaking amazing. It's not something I would do with every beer.
Trois Pistoles is a cellar all-star. It seems to only get better and better and better. It may be the one beer I've never had any misses with aging. It also seems to hold up - and improve too - for longer periods than virtually everything else I've aged.

Sorry to thread jack, back to DDC...
I've always found that Aged bottled Trois Pistoles basically tastes like the kegged version does fresh. I suspect it has something to do with the priming sugars and yeast.

Back to DDC:

The Rigor Mortis ABT should be aged at least 6 months in the bottle to peak (to my tastes at least).

Péché Mortel, Corne du Diable, Route des Épices, Equinoxe d'Automne, and Aphrodisiaque have a solid cellaring potential. I have many versions over 1 year of age and are barely affected by time. Routes des Épices is my favorite DDC! for Fall... it goes SO well with leather jackets, colourful leaves and the smell of a cooking pumpkin pie.

Blanche du Paradis, Paienne, Dernière Volonté, Boucanière and Fumisterie to a lesser extent, should be kept cool and drank within a few months.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

iguenard wrote:Routes des Épices is my favorite DDC! for Fall... it goes SO well with leather jackets, colourful leaves and the smell of a cooking pumpkin pie.
... but does it also pair well with puppy dogs and rainbows, THAT is the question (ha ha only kidding.) I will give it another chance because I didn't care for it.
iguenard wrote: Blanche du Paradis, Paienne, Dernière Volonté, Boucanière and Fumisterie to a lesser extent, should be kept cool and drank within a few months.
Great information. I suspected Aphroditiaque would be best fresh because the natural vanilla flavor would be fragile. At the brew pub the aroma is totally insane (especially with hawaiian shirts and golden sunsets.)
In Beerum Veritas

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Belgian wrote:
iguenard wrote:Routes des Épices is my favorite DDC! for Fall... it goes SO well with leather jackets, colourful leaves and the smell of a cooking pumpkin pie.
... but does it also pair well with puppy dogs and rainbows, THAT is the question (ha ha only kidding.) I will give it another chance because I didn't care for it.
iguenard wrote: [...]
Great information. I suspected Aphroditiaque would be best fresh because the natural vanilla flavor would be fragile. At the brew pub the aroma is totally insane (especially with hawaiian shirts and golden sunsets.)
You know what I meant :D .

There are aromas and flavours, and there are those things that beer makes you think of. Equally as powerful if you ask me. I cant taste a Corona (surprise!) without thinking of summertime BBQs and Pepe le Piew.

But to answer the question, no because puppy dogs go well with bockbier which I always found tasted a bit like dog biscuits smell... a strong-scented wet grain... and rainbows are better paired with some kind of large-mouthed glass of fruit cocktail topped with slices of exotic fruit .

For the hawaiian shorts, I dont associate vanilla to the South for some reason. But I do agree with the golden sunsets, as long as they dont forecast concurrent showers.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Blanche Du Paradis #181834 now appears in the LC listings, although no stock yet. Hopefully sometime this week or next?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ROUTE DES EPICES is now entered on the LC site, I guess they are clearing them one at a time and then releasing them all (the DDC promo ones at least?)

Break out your leather jackets and hawaiian shirts! It's nearly time. Dum, dum, dum, dum...
In Beerum Veritas

TJ

Post by TJ »

I'm still curious as to what a brewery feature entails, exactly, and now that it's nine days late if it will be given an extension. But I've given up the hopes of ever getting an answer.

Anyway, looks like we're getting there...

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... anguage=EN

hopaddict

Post by hopaddict »

TJ wrote:I'm still curious as to what a brewery feature entails, exactly, and now that it's nine days late if it will be given an extension. But I've given up the hopes of ever getting an answer.
The dates of this "brewery feature" don't mean much. The beers will be on the shelves until they are all sold, so don't worry about them being 9 days late. Beer release dates don't mean anything to the LCBO.